How many times a week do you lift? Success pictures please!

Options
I am new to lifting and am on my 4th week. The first week I was super motivated and excited to be lifting, so I did it about 6 days out of the week although, I've read that many of you only lift 3 days a week. I know you're supposed to take a rest day in between to let your muscles recover. I've since taken it down to 3 days/week with each session lasting about 45-55 minutes. When I feel I can move up in weights, I do so. I'm not on a schedule of when to add weight and how much, I am going by what my body is telling me. I was curious to see some results from those of you who only lift 3 days a week, and what your plan is like. Any help and tips are appreciated!

Replies

• andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to share a picture in here, but you can see my profile picture... I lift 2-3 times a week. I do full body instead of "leg day" "arm day", etc... An example day (from the time period you're in): Squats, alternating sets of Pushups and Seated Row, alternating sets of Step ups and ab work (like plank, jackknife, reverse crunch)
  • Hope2BFit81
    Hope2BFit81 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    HOLY smokes! Amazing transformation and you got some guns on ya!! I do three days a week (sometimes more if I have the energy and the drive) of full body work out exercises. They include: bench press, squats, lunges, standing overhead press, planks, skydivers, curls and inverted rows. I do 3 or 4 of these per workout and mix up my sets. Thanks for the response and keep up the good work!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are doing compound movements then yes 3-4x a week is plenty.

I've been lifting for a year...but I don't have pics of me flexed sorry.

Any transformation came from my calorie deficit...the lifting just helped me maintain as much muscle as I could.

As well with others...the weight lifting isn't to lose weight they use a deficit to do that...

There are lots of known programs for compound lifts such as Starting Strength and STronglifts where you do 2 workouts alternating and add 5-10lb each time you successfully complete a workout (complete all reps and sets with good form).

So for me Yesterday I did Workout B...Squats @180 3x5 will move to 185 on Monday, OHP 4,3,2 will not add weight, DL 1x5@ 200 will move to 205...

Workout A

Squats
    Bench press
    Rows

Workout B

Sqhuats
    OHP
    DL
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do 4 days of heavy lifting(upper and lower body) and one day of light lifting (abs workout, just started this this week).

Before:

94ddf288dcd486645dbec8e9f3a0a3d0eb63.jpg

Now:

94dddd5d2a22a021511aeeb4c58c05b2d88c.jpg
  • Hope2BFit81
    Hope2BFit81 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So motivational! Your stomach looks amazing! I must be on the right track!
  • burtonvdp
    burtonvdp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a trainer and finding out what will work for you. I've seen people lift 6 days a week all the way down to 2 days a week. But the routines are what matters and finding one that will work for you. Its just one of those things, 6 days a week might be 45 minutes to an hour of actually workout time (Lifting). Every day doing a different muscle group (affectively working out one group every 3 to 4 days sometimes longer). Maybe you go twice a week for 3 hours and working out the whole body....

My suggestion is to get a few sessions with a trainer and be honest with them and yourself on what you feel you can do. Time wise,diet wise, and financially (trainers are not cheap). Working out, diet, and rest are all really important.... Finding a balance I think is the best advice.