Hamburgers.

Options
Since the calories given on the package are for the raw meat, is that what I put down in MFP? I cook my burgers way down and a lot of the fat drains off.

Don't judge. I also rarely eat them, but for some reason I'm jonesing for one and better to cook it myself than get one out.

Replies

• All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, raw meat amounts are what you enter. Better to over estimate calories than under estimate.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Unless you add oil or something then the calories on the package are correct, if you drain fat you know it's lower than what it would be on MFP, so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    Ground beef is labelled for the pan fried/drained calories in the US. The weight would be raw, but the other info is for cooked. I know, it is confusing.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Ground beef is labelled for the pan fried/drained calories in the US. The weight would be raw, but the other info is for cooked. I know, it is confusing.
    Source? As far as I'm aware, this is not true. All ground beef I have bought is labeled by it's raw constituents. I have seen this on bacon, but never ground beef.

This paper can give you an idea, but the amount lost due to cooking is going to vary greatly based on doneness and cooking method. I stick with the raw data since it is conservative and take any fat lost as a bonus.

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_files/reducing fat in ground beef.pdf

edit: There are also entries in the MFP main database that is pulled from the USDA nutrient database for cooked ground beef that takes into account the fat lost during cooking. Search for "beef ground cooked" and it's the first entry.