Go Over On Carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mrbackslap
    Options
    As for bodybuilders, you have to understand what they are training for in using a high protein low carb plan. They are training for look, not performance. In the off season, they are eating plenty of carbs and bulking up. Then before shows is when they go really low carb so that they cut water weight to make their vascularity show. (Carbs are stored with water, so not consuming them will mean not storing them or the water that goes with them.) At the point that they are on stage posing, they are as weak as kittens. They certainly couldn't perform any max lifts or even 5 minutes of cardio. As individuals, we don't typically train for that, but rather for health and better performance, which requires carbs.

+1 on this as well. Bodybuilders give up a lot for the sake of looking strong. Ironically, one of the things they give up (for show season) IS being strong.

So true I see so many people on here try to give off advice but don't really understand things themselves.
    I started losing alot of weight once I stopped taking in excess protein and taking in more complex carbs.
    Haven't lost any muscle or nothing, if anything I'm getting stronger now.
    I mean I looked into it so if one pound of muscle contains only 100 grams of protein and the body can only produce a pound max a week then I don't need too much protein. But I'll take in the extra Carbs so that my body doesnt have to dip into taking protein.

I agree with TrainingWithTony she hit the nail on the head.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    As for bodybuilders, you have to understand what they are training for in using a high protein low carb plan. They are training for look, not performance. In the off season, they are eating plenty of carbs and bulking up. Then before shows is when they go really low carb so that they cut water weight to make their vascularity show. (Carbs are stored with water, so not consuming them will mean not storing them or the water that goes with them.) At the point that they are on stage posing, they are as weak as kittens. They certainly couldn't perform any max lifts or even 5 minutes of cardio. As individuals, we don't typically train for that, but rather for health and better performance, which requires carbs.

+1 on this as well. Bodybuilders give up a lot for the sake of looking strong. Ironically, one of the things they give up (for show season) IS being strong.

So true I see so many people on here try to give off advice but don't really understand things themselves.
    I started losing alot of weight once I stopped taking in excess protein and taking in more complex carbs.
    I mean I looked into it so if one pound of muscle contains only 100 grams of protein and the body can only produce a pound max a week then I don't need too much protein. But I'll take in the extra Carbs so that my body doesnt have to dip into taking protein.

You guys have to remember that difference diets will work for difference people. There is not one perfect diet for everyone. If there was this would be way to easy. Some people may have better success with low carb, others with high carb.

Some people consider low carb under 50, others consider it under 100, other under 150. The point I am trying to make is that different things work for everyone. For every person who hates low carb, you find 10 that swear by it. And vice-versa.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Not for nothing Uptopargolf but a diet is a diet is a diet.
    Doesn't matter if its low carb low fat or whatever ultimately it comes down to your calorie intake.
    That's what makes it a diet.

I looked at how I was eating but mostly I was looking at how I was training.
    Me personally I didnt know the first thing about fitness and nutrition and believed everything that was thrown at me.
    When I was taking in over 200 grams of protein by shakes I was bonking in my workouts.
    I didn't have any energy so I upped my carbs and lowered my protein and bam I was kicking *kitten*.

I see guy on here that take all this protein but dont even train that hard to begin with.
    So they just get fat or they wonder why the pounds arent coming off.

There's alot of misleading information put out there to the public and I notice for every piece of advice they give they'll be a product behind it.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Not for nothing Uptopargolf but a diet is a diet is a diet.
    Doesn't matter if its low carb low fat or whatever ultimately it comes down to your calorie intake.
    That's what makes it a diet.

I looked at how I was eating but mostly I was looking at how I was training.
    Me personally I didnt know the first thing about fitness and nutrition and believed everything that was thrown at me.
    When I was taking in over 200 grams of protein by shakes I was bonking in my workouts.
    I didn't have any energy so I upped my carbs and lowered my protein and bam I was kicking *kitten*.

I see guy on here that take all this protein but dont even train that hard to begin with.
    So they just get fat or they wonder why the pounds arent coming off.

There's alot of misleading information put out there to the public and I notice for every piece of advice they give they'll be a product behind it.

Yes, all your body cares about is calories to lose weight. However, some people have a much easier time eating 200 grams of protein and staying under their calorie goal, as oppose to eating 200 grams of carbs, and vice-versa.

And if all that matters is calories than how is the guy eating 200 grams of protein gaining weight? If he eats the same 200 grams of carbs he'll lose weight?

Either all that matters is calories, or we admit that there is MUCH more at play per individual than just calories in and calories out.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Don't not finish your cals because you are over on your carbs, but you might eat lower carb tonight. Ie, don't have spaghetti and garlic bread :wink:.

Remember, the % of carbs you allow yourself can be changed in the micronutrient part. It's a bit different for everyone as to what works best for them and what % carbs they allow themselves.

Personally, I shoot for calorie goal first and then TRY to stay under in the rest - carbs, fat etc and to get a decent amt of protein and fiber. I don't always make the micronutrient goals, but I don't let it bum be out as I still have seen the scale moving and I'm not consistently tremendously over (meaning, I could eat 1 big mac a day and stay under my cals but never stay within my fat cut off... I know that's not what I am doing, so I'm not too worried.)

I use them as guidelines - mostly because I know that I would go insane trying to match up every little number and item I eat. It's probably why I am not a size 2, but I'd be a severely obsessive compulsive size 2 were I to do it that way! I do let it tell me when to make my sandwich an open top or when to skip the rolls with dinner.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

You guys have to remember that difference diets will work for difference people. There is not one perfect diet for everyone. If there was this would be way to easy. Some people may have better success with low carb, others with high carb.

Some people consider low carb under 50, others consider it under 100, other under 150. The point I am trying to make is that different things work for everyone. For every person who hates low carb, you find 10 that swear by it. And vice-versa.

Yes, everyone is different, that is why there is a range that is recommended. Do I prescribe 70% carbs for my diabetic clients. NO, but I do prescribe 45% carbs all chosen from the low end of the glycemic index. It has been scientifically proven that the brain and red blood cells only use glucose for fuel. That is why there is a minimum recommendation of 130 grams of carbohydrates a day because that is approximately what the average person needs to fuel those things. If you aren't getting enough carbs, then your protein is being broken down for that purpose and can't be used to build muscle. If you then add exercise that has to have glucose to break down to pyruvate to be able to burn fat, then you break down protein to make that glucose too. Depending on how much exercise you are doing or how intense it is and the amount of protein you are consuming, you may or may not have any protein left to build muscle even with a large protein intake. If you can safely eat carbs to prevent having to use protein to meet your glucose needs, then it is better for the body in that you can use all of the protein you eat, even if it is less then what would be consumed on a high protein diet, more may be used for muscle growth and repair, plus you don't have the possible issues with the kidneys or urea buildup or ketosis. If carbs are a problem for you, then go with the lower range of carbs and the higher range of protein for your health, but still stay in a safe range for everything. 45-65% carbs, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fat are the standard. You can go 45% carbs, 35% protein, and 20% fat and be on a high protein, low fat diet without depriving the body of needed carbs. This is what is recommended for diabetics who are needing to watch that they don't spike their blood sugar. I also recommend that for strength athletes because they don't need the extra carbs for long duration exercise but need the protein for muscle repair and growth. Endurance athletes have to up the carbs and lower the protein. There are other medical issues where carbs have to increase, not necessarily for endurance reasons, but to make up for having to be low in protein for kidney issues or low in fat for cancer issues. I'm suppose to be 70% carbs, 15% protein, and 15% fat because I'm donating a kidney (have to be low protein) and have had a breast lump removed (low fat). Would I recommend this to the average person, NO. Everyone has their own optimal ranges for carbs, protein, and fat. The best thing you can do is play with them and see where on the wide spectrum of healthy ranges work best for you. And to the OP, don't stress if you aren't 100% in the range you think you are suppose to be in because it is a large spectrum and what one person does isn't perfect for the next person. The recommendations for amounts on here are just that, Recommendations. But don't tell your Mom that I'm saying to Play With Your Food (Recommendations). :laugh: