Measure Your Waist

Options
So have you noticed if you wear a certain in jeans for me say 38 and most of my 38 size jeans fit well including straight leg not baggy. However when you use a tape measure and put it on your waist it shows a much bigger size. I can say the same for belt sizes as well. That sucks oh well..............

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this as well - but I just go with the pants! :laugh:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When I measure, I really hope it will be a bigger size, but it turns out to be correct. angry.gif
  • nikki91950
    Options
    where exactly are you measuring your waist at? i know this sounds stupid, but some people measure themselves at the wrong spot. lol.
  • Bluediesel
    Options
    around my belly button and below my belly belly lol
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    that is true
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I agree! I swear it is like a 4-5 inch difference!
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    well thank Gawd! bc i measured my waist when i first started here and thought oh! dayum! those jeans in the "skinny clothes" are never getting back on! LOL This actually gives me hope!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    ok :) just making sure!
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I am really glad you brought this up. I have been frightened to try on new jeans after taking my measurements.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

The true waist is above the belly bottom, unless your belly bottom is very high. The true waist is below the rib cage and above the belly bottom. What you are really measuring is the begining of the abdominal area.

Todays fashions are describing low cut pants as "they sit at your natural waist," which is a bunch of BS.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    The true waist is above the belly bottom, unless your belly bottom is very high. The true waist is below the rib cage and above the belly bottom. What you are really measuring is the begining of the abdominal area.

Todays fashions are describing low cut pants as "they sit at your natural waist," which is a bunch of BS.
    [/quote]

very true. jeans these days aren't cut to sit at your truel waist.
  • binary_jester
    Options

From what you are describing, I am going to look like...http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/imgs/hed/art2310widea.jpg
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have heard rumors that clothes manufactures are cutting sizes bigger to make people fit into smaller sizes and what do they do, they are happy they fit into smaller sizes and buy more clothes!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    They do this with girl's sizes all the time...clothes companies make the sizes a little bigger than standard measurements to make us feel better. If I think I'm a size 2=I'll buy the clothes!
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Isn't it belly button, NOT belly 'bottom'?
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I have heard rumors that clothes manufactures are cutting sizes bigger to make people fit into smaller sizes and what do they do, they are happy they fit into smaller sizes and buy more clothes!
    Vanity sizing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

I wear a size 6/28 in jeans to accommodate my hips (the waist is a bit big), and my true waist is a 27. No lies. Maybe I'm the odd one out?
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    From what you are describing, I am going to look like...http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/imgs/hed/art2310widea.jpg
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Isn't it belly button, NOT belly 'bottom'?

Yeah, you are right my "buttom" just went to the "bottom." That is what happens for typing too fast.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    At least you can get waist sizes to fit. Try having about 27" waist and about 40" hips. :grumble:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

THIS!

The other way to get your true waist area is to bend slightly sideways and where the crease is that's ya waist.

Fully, 100% agree with "they sit at your natural waist" comment. It annoys me no end and for the following reason:

When I was larger, jeans like that meant I had a flabby overhang, simply because my bloody lovehandles are the last to lose on the fat front and that is when I have lost weight, when I am was not losing weight and at my largest, that waistband looked, well, bloody horrible to be honest!

However, if the waistband on those jeans had been at my true waist, it wouldn't have looked half as bad - having said that, if it hadn't been for that awful flab, I may never have attempted to lose the weight........ :huh: :noway:

.......I am going now.......everything is getting confusing lol........