HRM Question

kbooth
kbooth Posts: 49 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I just ordered a HRM. I have never used one before, so I was wondering how you know when you are in your "zone"? Is there anything I should know before using it?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• I don't know what kind you purchased, but I have a Polar F6 and it tells me if I'm in my zone or if I need to increase or decrease my heart rate.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Once you get it you'll have to input your age/weight/height and it should figure out your zone for you automatically. Mine beeps/flashes when I'm too high or too low.

I have a polar F4

I can't work out without it now :)

TIP: when you're done using it store the band & the watch separately. Apparently if you store them too close together they keep trying to transmit and it uses the batteries up faster. My hubby learned that the hard way.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Here is a website with a calculator to determine your zone and an article explaining it.

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/HeartRate2calc.cfm
  • kbooth
    kbooth Posts: 49 Member
    I got this one off of ebay for a few bucks: Sport Line Duo Dual-Use Dual Heart Rate Monitor 1010.

Probably not the best one on the market, but it will work until I can afford a better one. Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to get it and try it out!
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Once you get it you'll have to input your age/weight/height and it should figure out your zone for you automatically. Mine beeps/flashes when I'm too high or too low.

I have a polar F4

TIP: when you're done using it store the band & the watch separately. Apparently if you store them too close together they keep trying to transmit and it uses the batteries up faster. My hubby learned that the hard way.

Great tip! I have that one and haven't had the problem yet but I will do that.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    I thought I was the only one who couldn't work out without their HRM!!! How do you get the sweaty smell out of it without damaging the transmitters though?
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I thought I was the only one who couldn't work out without their HRM!!! How do you get the sweaty smell out of it without damaging the transmitters though?

OMG! I totally don't recommend this but..

I accidentally machine washed & tumble dried my HRM strap and it still works! I nearly burst into tears when I pulled it out of the dryer and realized what I'd done. :blushing:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member

I have a polar F4

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. I've had mine for 2 years and haven't had a battery issue but maybe that's cuz my baby likes to carry the watch around the house LOL
This discussion has been closed.