What is consider low carb?

Options
Alright, so after all my reading I've done.. and looking at diets, and exercise habits, how to build muscle, burn fat etc etc.

I came to the conclusion that carbs are the enemy. Weather you agree or disagree with that statement. Here is my question, what is considered a low carb diet? 0 carbs? Under 30? Under 70? Where do you draw the line.

Currently I am 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% fat. This gives me about 115 carbs a day. To me that is no where near to little carbs. I think that is plenty of carbs.

For years, our ancestors ate lean meat, with little or no carbs. So why is 200 carbs a day or more ok to eat? I don't see a need for having that many EVER. Unless you are a high endurance athlete.

I don't want to debate about weather low carb diets are good or bad, or anything else. I just want to know what you consider to be low carb!

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i've heard that anything under 100 is considered low carb officially. that being said, many people cut their carb intake way more than that, but you also have to remember that you need carbs in order to function and especially exercise.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    There are times I do low carb for a few days to beat bloat for an upcoming event and I stay under 50 g a day. That seems to be enough to beat the water retention (which is essential all low carb does). It is difficult to eat healthy any lower than that. You really can't get the all around essential vitamins (i.e. from fruit and veggies, which yes, our ancestors ate ;) ) by going lower than that. I cycle Paleo which is meats, fruits, veggies, nuts but no grains, wheat, legumes and dairy (which I still eat a very small amount of protein-based dairy like eggs, cottage cheese and greek yogurt). I've had good results both with my fitness and reducing body fat.

FYI, I usually stay around 120-140 carbs a day normally, and I have a pretty rigorous workout schedule, the carbs simply don't add up that much when you're eating Paleo.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Under 35%

You say you don't want to start a debate...yet throw out your opinion and ask why it's okay for people to eat 200+?

Interesting...
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Under 35%

You say you don't want to start a debate...yet throw out your opinion and ask why it's okay for people to eat 200+?

Interesting...

Point taking. None the less, there will be people on both sides of the debate and it will not change a thing. So yes I put my .02 in the post.. Probably should of just kept it to myself.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    There are times I do low carb for a few days to beat bloat for an upcoming event and I stay under 50 g a day. That seems to be enough to beat the water retention (which is essential all low carb does). It is difficult to eat healthy any lower than that. You really can't get the all around essential vitamins (i.e. from fruit and veggies, which yes, our ancestors ate ;) ) by going lower than that. I cycle Paleo which is meats, fruits, veggies, nuts but no grains, wheat, legumes and dairy (which I still eat a very small amount of protein-based dairy like eggs, cottage cheese and greek yogurt). I've had good results both with my fitness and reducing body fat.

FYI, I usually stay around 120-140 carbs a day normally, and I have a pretty rigorous workout schedule, the carbs simply don't add up that much when you're eating Paleo.

I am also a Paleo eater.

Since cutting out the beans, legumes, dairy and grains - most of my aches and pains went away and I am able to exercise more vigorously again.

I primarily eat protein and loads of veggies. i started treating fruits as dessert items and my energy has soared even more. I sleep better.

From what I am reading and have read anything under 150 grams of carbs is a pretty controlled carb eating plan.

According to Mark Sisson he says that

0-50 grams of carbs for fat loss
    51-100 for effortless weight loss
    101-150 maintaining / borderline zone

Anything above 150 grams of carbs is unhealthy.

I can eat pretty unlimited amounts of veggies and stay between 0-60 grams of carbs per day and be very, very full. Variety is the key.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Under 35%

Interesting...

Technically speaking, it is NOT healhty to eat 200+ grams of carbs per day. I love a good debate.

There is NO way possible to eat that many carbs and be eating a healthy eating plan.
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    Hi, great question something I struggle with during certain times as well. I certainly dont want to argue the low carb debate either but here is my thoughts. I use carbs on a need for activity basis. In short here is my situation. I am a cardio girl. I trained this year for 2 full marathons and a 1/2 when I am in training for these huge cardio activities my carbs go way up maybe 300-400gr a day and the last week before a race sometimes up to 500gr a day. Now there is no weightloss during these times and I am burning it during the long runs but I feel at my age my normal carb intake to lose or maintain is extremely lower. Now if I am looking to lose weight I find calorie counting is always good for me but I REALLY strict my carbs/bread/rice intake and take most my carbs by fruits and vegetables. For instance I was injured last may after my 2nd marathon, and stuck in a air cast for 2 months. Knowing I would be doing no cardio, except for swimming I cut all carbs just fruit and veggies and very lean meats. MY personal opinion about what you wrote is 115gr of carbs is low if youre getting in your fruits and veggies but if youre a higher protein guy and lifting weights I think youre 115 is reasonable. HOWEVER, I am certainly not profesionally qualified as a dietician. I just find this is what works for me. :P My first rule of thumb is calories in and calories out. I am a big advocate for excersize and I do like it. ButI know that I need that extra eergy you get from carbs. My normal day to day is between 100-115 anything under a 100 I would consider low carb. Great post! Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Alright, so after all my reading I've done.. and looking at diets, and exercise habits, how to build muscle, burn fat etc etc.

I came to the conclusion that carbs are the enemy. Weather you agree or disagree with that statement. Here is my question, what is considered a low carb diet? 0 carbs? Under 30? Under 70? Where do you draw the line.

Currently I am 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% fat. This gives me about 115 carbs a day. To me that is no where near to little carbs. I think that is plenty of carbs.

For years, our ancestors ate lean meat, with little or no carbs. So why is 200 carbs a day or more ok to eat? I don't see a need for having that many EVER. Unless you are a high endurance athlete.

I don't want to debate about weather low carb diets are good or bad, or anything else. I just want to know what you consider to be low carb!

you are already on what most consider low carb. Carbs are generally our largest macro nutrient. FYI, 50% protein, if you plan on doing it long term isn't really much different than 50% carbs. Your body can only use about 25 to 30% protein for muscle repair anyway (except in rare occasions), the rest is converted to energy (using a different process, but still similar results) and either used or stored as fat (just like carbs, except a little slower). Make sure your liver and kidneys are very healthy if you're going to do 50% protein for a protracted period, as they make those organs work harder, usually not a huge problem for young people, but can be a serious issue if you are prone to liver or kidney issues. It's something to be aware of.

And another FYI, I'm not going to try to change your mind, I'm just going to state what I believe to be the truth after lots of time spent researching, good carbs are NOT evil, they are no better or worse than proteins and healthy fats. Bad eating habits and overindulgence in bad carbs is bad, but not carbs on their own. If they were lots (the majority) of mammals would be in pretty bad shape.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Good replys everyone!

I currently workout 6 days a week, 3 weight training, 3 cardio. I get all my carbs from fruit or vegetables, and milk. I have never really tracker carbs before. Only calories. But now more than ever I see the importance of them. I do not feel tired at all. I feel great actually. I believe I eat enough carbs for function of burning fat and keeping my protein high to keep my muscle. I'm giving it a month and half, maybe a bit more. I will see how my results come.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

you are already on what most consider low carb. Carbs are generally our largest macro nutrient. FYI, 50% protein, if you plan on doing it long term isn't really much different than 50% carbs. Your body can only use about 25 to 30% protein for muscle repair anyway (except in rare occasions), the rest is converted to energy (using a different process, but still similar results) and either used or stored as fat (just like carbs, except a little slower). Make sure your liver and kidneys are very healthy if you're going to do 50% protein for a protracted period, as they make those organs work harder, usually not a huge problem for young people, but can be a serious issue if you are prone to liver or kidney issues. It's something to be aware of.

And another FYI, I'm not going to try to change your mind, I'm just going to state what I believe to be the truth after lots of time spent researching, good carbs are NOT evil, they are no better or worse than proteins and healthy fats. Bad eating habits and overindulgence in bad carbs is bad, but not carbs on their own. If they were lots (the majority) of mammals would be in pretty bad shape.

Very respectable post. I should of said 'bad' carbs. I know the importance of good carbs, like veggies and fruits.

And thank you for you're concern. I understand being on a higher protein diet can cause ill effects. I'm making sure I stay on this for about a month maybe a bit more. I drink plenty of water also.

I understand protein will get broken down to be used for energy but from what I read, the idea is that you're body works harder during that process than just breaking down carbs.

I am still very young and I am no expert. However from what I've read, I feel like lower carbs may help me a bit.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    how rude to that girl who jumped him about asking the question
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    how rude

Where is the rest of this post? Or who, or what are you talking about..?
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Haha... Well I get girls that jump me a lot. Haha. Just kidding of course!