Information on pocket food scales

Options
I'm new enough to counting calories that I still don't have a great handle on what represents a serving of some things. The biggest tricks to me are at restaurants: is that slice of cheese on my sandwich really only 1 oz? Is that serving of chicken in my burrito bowl really a single serving? So, I'd appreciate any tips on which pocket food scale to get, and any tips on how best to use it. For example, do you bring along your own dish for which to use to put the food in? A sandwich bag maybe? Do most portions fit atop a folding scale? Would also appreciate any brand specific recommendations.

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Listen. You are going to drive yourself crazy with this line of thinking. You know you've gone too far when you're sitting in chipotle taking apart your burrito to weigh the chicken, rice, and cheese in it. Seriously.

My advice to you is don't eat out often if it bothers you so much. When you do eat out, just log whatever nutrition information is posted on the restaurant's website.

Slow, simple, and steady wins the race.
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Listen. You are going to drive yourself crazy with this line of thinking. You know you've gone too far when you're sitting in chipotle taking apart your burrito to weigh the chicken, rice, and cheese in it. Seriously.

My advice to you is don't eat out often if it bothers you so much. When you do eat out, just log whatever nutrition information is posted on the restaurant's website.

Slow, simple, and steady wins the race.

This.

I usually prefer to make my own food at home because I know what's in it. But when I do eat out I usually just use the nutritional information on %restaurant-I'm-eating-at%'s website. And if there isn't one then I just try to eyeball it as best as I can and make my best guesstimate. It's a little hit-or-miss but better than not tracking at all.