Protein Level

Options
How bad is it that my protein level is over quite a bit?

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am always over in the protein area, would like to know the answer as well!!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you. Helps keep you full and helps with muscles!!!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Not bad at all. MFP sets the protein level to low. You need protein to build muscle, and keep muscle from you're body burning it. Some people will eat as much as 40 - 50% protein a day, some 35% but the 15% that is defaulted is very low.

I eat nearly 200 grams a day.
  • bsweettt
    Options
    the more protein, the better! I usually eat double or sometimes triple the amount im normally supposed to have. High protein/low cal/fat, always better!
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the values on this site are off. It's a VERY helpful guide, but that's all it is. You should do what's best for you based on your lifestyle, fitness goals, and dietary needs/preferences.

I mean, seriously. If I have a bowl of raisin bran and a half cup of grapes for breakfast I'm over the sugar limit for the day. A couple of eggs and some hummus during the day and there goes protein. A sandwich, and I've over for carbs.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO EAT????

See what I mean? I use the site mostly to track calories and iron (I'm a vegetarian), and use the other values as a very loose guide.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I think a lot of the values on this site are off. It's a VERY helpful guide, but that's all it is. You should do what's best for you based on your lifestyle, fitness goals, and dietary needs/preferences.

I mean, seriously. If I have a bowl of raisin bran and a half cup of grapes for breakfast I'm over the sugar limit for the day. A couple of eggs and some hummus during the day and there goes protein. A sandwich, and I've over for carbs.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO EAT????

See what I mean? I use the site mostly to track calories and iron (I'm a vegetarian), and use the other values as a very loose guide.

Well said. We all have to remember, certain things work for different types of people. That is why there is no end all be all training or diet program.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Excess protein is hard on your kidneys. I have passed kidney stones 4 times over the past 6 years and have to limit my sodium and protein to help prevent the stones from forming. My protein limit is 15%. My sodium limit is the AHA of 1500 mg. Muscle building is based on increased overall calorie consumption. Your body can only process so much protein to begin with, and excretes the rest, again, overtaxing your kidneys.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Excess protein is hard on your kidneys. I have passed kidney stones 4 times over the past 6 years and have to limit my sodium and protein to help prevent the stones from forming. My protein limit is 15%. My sodium limit is the AHA of 1500 mg. Muscle building is based on increased overall calorie consumption. Your body can only process so much protein to begin with, and excretes the rest, again, overtaxing your kidneys.

How much protein were you eating a day? Were you exercising at all? It would take TONS of excess protein over a long period of time for the what you said to happen.

Is it possible? Oh yeah. But rare.

And muscle building is calorie surplus and efficient protein. Not just calories. If you lift 80 hours a week, but only eat crap.. You can't expect muscle.

P.S normally if you are taking in a lot of protein you will be on a lower carb diet which helps offset the excess protein since the body will process it and turn it into energy. If you just eat a regular diet, with tons of protein it is easy to hurt the kidneys.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options

How much protein were you eating a day? Were you exercising at all? It would take TONS of excess protein over a long period of time for the what you said to happen.

Is it possible? Oh yeah. But rare.

And muscle building is calorie surplus and efficient protein. Not just calories. If you lift 80 hours a week, but only eat crap.. You can't expect muscle.

P.S normally if you are taking in a lot of protein you will be on a lower carb diet which helps offset the excess protein since the body will process it and turn it into energy. If you just eat a regular diet, with tons of protein it is easy to hurt the kidneys.

I was told a gram of protein for each pound I weigh. Which puts me at about 60%. Not even sure if I can eat that much, but just changed my goals today, because I was always over the MFP recommended amount. This was suggested by another MFPal.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Whew, I'm not the only one. I've only been on MFP for a few days and noticed I keep going over on the protein. I have a recipe book for healthy dinners I'm using and just one serving of the recipes I've been cooking are more than the day's alloted protein count!

I guess I'll just look at the protein allowance as more of a goal to have during the day, rather than a limit. But...that dang red number with the big ol' minus sign in front if it is sure scary looking!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends this distribution for the energy nutrients:

* Fat: 20 - 35% of total calories (average 30%)
    * Protein: 10 – 35% (average 15%)
    * Carbohydrates: 45 – 65% (average 55%)

MFP sets their goals at the averages, adjust as needed.