Yawning during exercise?

Options
When I start doing Cardio I start yawning...why is this? No, I'm not tired, I just yawn as soon as I get winded. It is embarrassing/disrespectful in my Taekwondo class I feel like it sends the wrong message. Suggestions?

Replies

• CowboyItUp
    Options
    I wish I knew why that happens. It happens to me too when I'm working out. Not tired at all, but wind up having to stop several times to yawn :(
  • lna_1981
    lna_1981 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    They say that yawning is a response to boredom.... shrugs
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it's somewhat common but idiopathic. Nobody really knows what causes it.

I'd look at general fatigue levels. Sleep is one part of it yes, but how are your stress levels? Are you getting sick? Is your food intake too low? Is your exercise routine too taxing?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body is trying to tell you you're bored?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yawning is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. Get your instructor to open a window :)

ETA: that's why it's F'ing irritating when a boss or whoever asks you, "am I boring you?" - " oh, I apologise profusely for my totally involuntary body action"
  • chocolate_totoro
    chocolate_totoro Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Well, think about the reasons why we yawn. One theory suggests that yawning is a way for the body to bring in more oxygen and get rid of carbon dioxide. Another suggests that yawning is a cooling mechanism for the brain.
  • Myweightlossdiary
    Myweightlossdiary Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    When I start doing Cardio I start yawning...why is this? No, I'm not tired, I just yawn as soon as I get winded. It is embarrassing/disrespectful in my Taekwondo class I feel like it sends the wrong message. Suggestions?

I do this occasionally myself but it's usually because I exercise after work so I figured I was just exhausted from the day. When I used to exercise in the early mornings, I did yawn a little but not as much. I guess I had already pretty much woken up by the time I go up and drove to the gym. Here's an interesting short article by Prevention Magazine that may help but even there they say yawning is a medical mystery: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/yawning-while-exercising-heres-why

Good luck but unless you are yawning every couple of seconds during your entire workout, I wouldn't worry too much :)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    During the stretching sections of the Insanity workouts I yawn non-stop. No idea why. I'm not bored, and although I always feel tired I don't really yawn any other time.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will yawn while I'm running because I have a little bit of asthma and its the easiest way to get a deep breath. Any chance you're having mild asthma? Mine isn't bad enough that I've ever bothered to get diagnosed, just occasionally struggle to get a deep breath.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Reasons for yawning:

Fatigue
    Boredom
    Intake of more oxygen

If one is consistently yawning through an hour, I would assume that lack of sleep may be the issue. Sleep Apnea is undetected by the sleeper, so one would have to get an observation to see if it's an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I yawn when I lift. I will be finishing up a very intense set and then suddenly I look like Miss Sleepyhead or Miss "ThatWasWayTooEasyForMe." It's a little embarrassing, but I figure my body just needs the oxygen boost for the next set.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Reasons for yawning:

Fatigue
    Boredom
    Intake of more oxygen

If one is consistently yawning through an hour, I would assume that lack of sleep may be the issue. Sleep Apnea is undetected by the sleeper, so one would have to get an observation to see if it's an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I know I have Apnea, but I'm hoping with weight loss it will correct itself. Thanks for all the responses. I guess it is most likely just trying to recover O2.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Ugh...can't stop yawning during lifting, and I had to take a moment between sets to whine about it. Like yawning to the point of tears. Good gravy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    lol, I do the same thing! I also fell asleep once during my pre-workout stretches. Of course, this was at 5am.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Haha! I'm not sure that's what they mean by 'relax into it'. Not that I can blame you - I'm in a coma at 5am.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yawning is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. Get your instructor to open a window :)

Thanks. That's a good explanation. I have this issue too.
  • brzflapdx
    brzflapdx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started yawning as soon as I read this thread. My yawns increased as I got through each reply. Im still yawning!!