I think I killed my metabolism somehow

Options

Replies

• jkfit2589
    jkfit2589 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Check out Jorge Cruise, the 100 book. It made alot of since for me! I am very sensitive to sugar so I have had to learn how to eat without alot of carbs. It is an awesome book and his website is great with mealplanning, shoppong list etc... I have metabolic syndrome and this makes me feel so much better.

That could be my problem. I've got a pretty bad sweet tooth.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    LOL dude!!! Ive been a wellness coach for many years and constantly research health and fitness!!! Motivating people is what I do!! I wouldnt post anything I didn't believe in!! There is a way to be positive...just saying!
    So you give all your clients advice as if they had some kind metabolic syndrome?
    It's just a low carb plan. I don't think it's anything unique to metabolic syndrome.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Check out Jorge Cruise, the 100 book. It made alot of since for me! I am very sensitive to sugar so I have had to learn how to eat without alot of carbs. It is an awesome book and his website is great with mealplanning, shoppong list etc... I have metabolic syndrome and this makes me feel so much better.

Out of the numerous saying your TDEE calculation is likely wrong and that you're actually eating more than you should be, you pick the ONE that differs. Hmm...

If 9/10 people say "smoking is bad for you"
    and the 1/10 says "you'll get skinny if you smoke"

You choose to smoke because you'd rather get skinny and get your cigarette? :huh:
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Out of the numerous saying your TDEE calculation is likely wrong and that you're actually eating more than you should be, you pick the ONE that differs. Hmm...

If 9/10 people say "smoking is bad for you"
    and the 1/10 says "you'll get skinny if you smoke"

You choose to smoke because you'd rather get skinny and get your cigarette? :huh:

Having metabolic syndrome and needing to follow a restrictive diet to fix it is so much sexier than having miscalculated your intake and output and needing to eat less calories than you're currently eating.
  • jkfit2589
    Options
    Here's another thing that puzzles me. I'm doing about an hour of hot Bikram yoga per day for about 5 days a week. According to my calorie burn monitor that I've worn a few times to class, I burn about 900-1000 calories in a 1 hour class. And that doesn't even include my evening runs with my dog, which is usually about 2 miles, and the 2 other short walks that I take him earlier in the day. So either I'm really bad at math, or I have the appetite of a sumo wrestler (or both).
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Here's another thing that puzzles me. I'm doing about an hour of hot Bikram yoga per day for about 5 days a week. According to my calorie burn monitor that I've worn a few times to class, I burn about 900-1000 calories in a 1 hour class. And that doesn't even include my evening runs with my dog, which is usually about 2 miles, and the 2 other short walks that I take him earlier in the day. So either I'm really bad at math, or I have the appetite of a sumo wrestler (or both).

A lot of us have had good results with Scooby's calculator.

If I were you I'd work on finding out my daily maintenance figure WITHOUT exercise. Log every thing and weigh yourself everyday, averaging out at the end of the week. Use Scooby's sedentary figure for your stats. Get a steady maintenance. Keep records of everything. Be diligent and accurate.

Then work out your exercise burns as accurately as you can.

Then start a shallow (-10-15%) cut. Keep records. Hopefully everything will work out, and you'll know your body better, so when you come to bulk and cut, you'll be in control.

Don't forget your numbers will change when your weight goes up or down.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Let's not complicate this thing too much! If you aren't loosing cut the calories further, or up the exercise!

Sure your body may require fewer calories in, or more exercise to lose than the next guy!

Not surprising - I'm like that too! Perhaps there's also more muscle under there then the next guy too!

Other things could be at play too! This link suggests that once you lose 10% of body mass your body is almost irreversibly changed meaning even if you revert back to original weight you now need to do more to maintain then you did previously -

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

We can get lost in the minutiae but its really not that complicated! A few simple things to remember!

1. All our bodies are different and for some reason some of us need to work abit more to.achieve same result! Its not a big deal - I think many athletes fall in this category!

2. Our bodies constantly changing - what worked for you yesterday may not necessarily work in the same way tomorrow. The body is constantly striving to maintain equilibrium - you need to constantly make adjistments!

3. We often underestimate calories and overestimate exercise.

4. If exercise remains constant its impact reduces over time as body becomes more efficient!

5. If you want to maintain a downward trend don't be surprised if you have to constantly push the envelope perhaps more than the next guy!

I probably expend over 1200 cals in 85 minutes of intense swimming! But I log it in as about 600. That's just the way it is!

I am maintaining now but I have a feeling I have to work alot harder exercisewise than plenty of folk to maintain, especially as I'm not as strict on myself foodwise when maintaining!

It is what it is!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You're not burning 900-1000 calories/hour in a Bikram class (and Bikram is 90 minutes so you must be doing a knock-off). The heat makes the heart rate monitor readings useless. Your HR increases due solely to the heat but the HRM thinks it's increased due to exertion.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Obviously, there is something wrong with your numbers.

Because, no, you did not kill, maim or otherwise damage your metabolism.
    I would agree with this. It's not that easy to damage one's metabolism.
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options

My pace slowed considerably when I became more active in large part because I was eating back the calories and everything I was using was overstating the calories I was burning. I would be SHOCKED if at 200lbs you are burning anywhere NEAR that figure doing yoga. If the monitor is calculating your heartrate and you are escalating it in heat thats simply an improper measurement of your caloric burn. You would KNOW IT if you burn half your daily caloric intake in an hour of exercise. That would necessitate a really intense hour. Yoga? Not a chance. Not cracking on yoga, you just aren't getting that level of burn.

I would bet this calculation is behind a great deal of your frustration.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The caloric burn for running 2 miles with your dog is most likely going to be higher than the Bikram, and the run is probably in the 250-350 calorie range depending on intensity. That HRM isn't doing you favors in a heated room like that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You're not burning 900-1000 calories/hour in a Bikram class (and Bikram is 90 minutes so you must be doing a knock-off). The heat makes the heart rate monitor readings useless. Your HR increases due solely to the heat but the HRM thinks it's increased due to exertion.

:wink:

My thoughts exactly! Imagine if you were very scared and your heart was racing, your HRM would think you were running tons of calories

OP, just plug your numbers into MFP. What I saw was about 2400 calories required to maintain your weight - if your lifestyle is sedentary. For your TDEE to be 3000, you'd likely need to be doing some daily (intentional) exercise or be much more active at your job and other daily tasks to the tune of 600 calories per day. Then you can start losing 2 lbs a week while eating 2000 calories, which won't necessarily get you to the emaciated sub-Saharan African kid point in the time frame you think because as you become smaller, your TDEE reduces

And +1 to the post on running / walking calories. This formula floats around on the internet. It's not an exact science but if you're getting numbers double or triple this, I'd question them:

NET calories burned running > 4mph: .63 X body weight (lbs) X distance (miles)

For walking replace .63 with .3
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be outside?

Then, it's diet and exercise. Eat less, move more (and outside, if you can.). Trial and error. Find what works.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I probably expend over 1200 cals in 85 minutes of intense swimming! But I log it in as about 600. That's just the way it is!

I am maintaining now but I have a feeling I have to work alot harder exercisewise than plenty of folk to maintain, especially as I'm not as strict on myself foodwise when maintaining!

Something is a bit off with this analogy. I would say if you log about 600 calories for swimming and you are maintaining your weight, then the 600 is probably correct and you are not really burning the 1200 calories you think you are.:smile:
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I do.burn at least 1200.
    I'm maintaining because I'm not as strict on the food side as I was when I was in the loss phase! So my food calories are up!
    I just under log the exercise calories to discourage me from eating even more!

When I cannot exercise I cut down food intake accordingly!
    :-)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Here's another thing that puzzles me. I'm doing about an hour of hot Bikram yoga per day for about 5 days a week. According to my calorie burn monitor that I've worn a few times to class, I burn about 900-1000 calories in a 1 hour class.

**** me.

SMH.

Etc.

For the 8th billion time on MFP, "calorie burn monitors" don't work AT ALL for that kind of exercise. You are overestimating your exercise burn by at least a factor of 4.
  • supersupercoolio
    Options
    Okay so although I have no idea what that tdee thingy is I do know that you should have a pretty fast metabolism with your stats. Just like everyone else has said, check your numbers.
  • jkfit2589
    Options
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I'm going to see my doctor this week to get my blood drawn so hopefully I can get some more concrete answers regarding my metabolism. And btw, an hour of hot yoga burns WAY more calories than a 2 mile jog or even an intense weight lifting session at the gym. When I started doing it last summer, I dropped about 15 pounds in less than 2 months, going from 197 to 182. The only thing that was different was that I was pretty much starving myself and eating nothing but those lean cuisine frozen meals (about 2 per day) and drinking slim fast milkshakes. I felt like sh** all the time and couldn't sustain myself on that kind of diet, so hopefully I can find some kind of happy medium between my current sumo wrestler diet and last summer's Olson Twins' anorexic diet.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I'm going to see my doctor this week to get my blood drawn so hopefully I can get some more concrete answers regarding my metabolism. And btw, an hour of hot yoga burns WAY more calories than a 2 mile jog or even an intense weight lifting session at the gym. When I started doing it last summer, I dropped about 15 pounds in less than 2 months, going from 197 to 182. The only thing that was different was that I was pretty much starving myself and eating nothing but those lean cuisine frozen meals (about 2 per day) and drinking slim fast milkshakes. I felt like sh** all the time and couldn't sustain myself on that kind of diet, so hopefully I can find some kind of happy medium between my current sumo wrestler diet and last summer's Olson Twins' anorexic diet.

if the only thing different was that you werent eating, that is a lot of difference.

i dont care how hot it is, 1000 calories doing yoga is not believable... i would not bank on that. especially if you are not losing weight.