Does anyone else think this about plateauing?

Options
I started in March and the first 15-20 lbs were easy and I was really motivated. But so many times after successful weighs ins and losing 2-3 lbs I would have this thought:

"I worked incredibly hard to lose these last 2 lbs but I just can't see myself continuing and getting under 2XX"

I have thought this a lot and probably thought I could never get under 230, 220, 210 but it has happened. Why does it take a ton of effort and dedication just to lose 2 lbs a week? It overwhelming to think I need to stick with my plan for another month to get the final 14 lbs.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why the urgency? If you're eating at a deficit that is comfortable for you then why the need to get to goal so quickly?

I do understand thinking "I'll probably never get under X number of lb"...that's something I've thought all the way through my weight loss. When I went under my previous "lowest adult weight" I was totally shocked as I didn't think it was possible.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Not urgency but the feeling I won't be able to get there. It's hard to describe I guess. Combination of the incredible amount of effort it takes just to lose 2 measly lbs, how I struggle with eating and how I don't see myself getting that thin.

Maybe it is because I worked incredibly hard this past week with a lot of sacrifices on the diet side and just not sure I can have that same intensity for another month or so.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I got so frustrated about the plateaus but now I just think of them as good practice for my maintenance phase. Its all about perspective and sticking to plan even when the scale doesn't show you the number you want. Be patient. It took a long time to get to your current weight, it will take a long time to get to your ultimate goal but even then you wont be done paying attention to what you eat or do to keep it off. Its all about perspective and patience. :flowerforyou:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Not urgency but the feeling I won't be able to get there. It's hard to describe I guess. Combination of the incredible amount of effort it takes just to lose 2 measly lbs, how I struggle with eating and how I don't see myself getting that thin.

Maybe it is because I worked incredibly hard this past week with a lot of sacrifices on the diet side and just not sure I can have that same intensity for another month or so.

can I just add that two pounds is lost is two whole packages of butter?? celebrate all losses and just know that the smaller you get you lose even slower. But the struggle is worth it.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As the poster above said, go find something in your cupboard or fridge that weighs 2lbs (or 1 kilo) to get a real world idea of what you have lost. Losing 2lbs takes a deficit of 7000 calories to your diet which is around 3 days worth of food you'd eat if you was maintaining. I'm guessing you have a false image of how weight loss should work through shows like the biggest loser as 2lbs is a great amount to lose. If you are just in this to race to your goal I can guarantee you will put it back on once you finish dieting.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You have to be in it for the long haul!!! I'm 2 years into my journey...and I have struggle with plateaus and patience!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    with 14lbs to lose a 2lb per week deficit is very agressive... 0.5 to 1lb per week is a good rate of loss for the last few pounds and helps minimise muscle loss.
  • Jannalicious
    Jannalicious Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nearly 2 years of faithful posting. And I've been at the same weight as I was a year ago. I still have 50 lbs to lose and yes it's frustrating. I'm busting my butt everyday to lose just one more pound and doesn't seem to happen. I've completely busted the calories in vs calories out theory! I love riding my bike and normal days are 16 miles or more. I'm burning 1100-1300 or more calories and eating most days at 2000 or slightly more. Yup no weight loss. I feel like I'm definitely learning to maintain nicely. Each day I wake up ready to try again. Yes I have days where I'm absolutely perfect! Hit my macros and the works. Then there are days when my meals are completely horrid. Yesterday was one of them. But I know and I feel with every part off who I am that if I just keep working on it. Doing the best I can. I will succeed!
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have some trouble sometimes - particularly when I hit 20lbs. I had no other near-term goals at that point and the moment I saw that I was 20lbs down my motivation just left me in a giant WOOSH. I was really scared that was the end for me.

But I kept going. This weekend I picked up my friend's baby who weighs about 20lbs she said. I couldn't believe that I had removed that amount of weight from my body. I didn't feel any different, I didn't think I looked any different, but that was not a light baby!

Right now I believe I'll reach my halfway point. But I still can't believe I'll ever be under 200lbs (which is about 20lbs away at this point). It's been years since I was that low, it's impossible.

But anything beyond 20lbs had felt impossible ... so just gotta keep going.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I consider not gaining as a good result and losing an even better one!.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It is hard - and after 2 years of logging every day it doesn't get easier but it does become habit. If you can make this a habit rather than a magic number to reach and then sigh a huge sigh of relief, you will not only reach your goals but maintain them.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    im wondering, you say you are not sure if you can do this another month, but how do you expect the rest of your life to continue after youve reached your goal? you wont be able to go back to your old eating habits - ever, if you want to keep your goal weight.

its not just something you need to do for a month, its something you need to do for a lifetime, so if you are having trouble with the restrictions youve put upon yourself then you need to alter your "program" so it becomes something you can live with longterm.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why do you have a deficit to lose 2-3 lbs per week?!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Sounds like you may need to consider a diet break for a week or two, and lightening up on the aggressive weight loss goal of 2 pounds per week. I don't think one needs to suffer when losing weight, and it sounds like you are miserable.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Been there - a million times. I am now 7 lbs. from goal and it would be very easy to just say I'm that close and be done with it. I know that it could take me 6 - 9 months to lose that. But the thing is, I don't see this as a "plan" at all. I see this as a lifestyle and a way to be healthy 'way into my later years. Exercise and healthy eating are important for that. Weight loss is a benefit and helps to maintain my goal of being healthy for the rest of my life. However, I try not to make it the sole reason for what I do in these arenas. Try to consider that it's not about the scale, but about changing your lifestyle. And give yourself permission to be proud of yourself for all that you have accomplished so far. For me, I go to the gym 5x/week and do lots of cardio/weights/circuitry, etc. And while I am there, I see people in their 80's working out ... I see some of them have surgery, and then come back and work more slowly, but work out ... I want to be those people. I hope you do, too!
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Why does it take a ton of effort and dedication just to lose 2 lbs a week? It overwhelming to think I need to stick with my plan for another month to get the final 14 lbs.
    Part of getting there, and staying there, is to find a comfortable lifestyle. How long do you think you can maintain if it constantly takes "a ton of effort and dedication"? I know I couldn't do that!

I think the key is finding the lifestyle that allows you to work towards your goals but is reasonably comfortable. Sure, there is always some level of effort, but it should not feel overwhelming.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Nearly 2 years of faithful posting. And I've been at the same weight as I was a year ago. I still have 50 lbs to lose and yes it's frustrating. I'm busting my butt everyday to lose just one more pound and doesn't seem to happen. I've completely busted the calories in vs calories out theory! I love riding my bike and normal days are 16 miles or more. I'm burning 1100-1300 or more calories and eating most days at 2000 or slightly more. Yup no weight loss. I feel like I'm definitely learning to maintain nicely. Each day I wake up ready to try again. Yes I have days where I'm absolutely perfect! Hit my macros and the works. Then there are days when my meals are completely horrid. Yesterday was one of them. But I know and I feel with every part off who I am that if I just keep working on it. Doing the best I can. I will succeed!

Man, I could've written this, mostly word for word
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight it was ALL about the numbers. First I wanted to be in the 230s and then hit 199 and then 170. I've managed to hit all my goals, but once I hit 170 it's like my body was like "Well, I think I'm comfortable here" and I've been around this weight for the past 3 years maybe. I was devastated at first, but then just decided to bump the scale, just use the numbers as a reference and focus on being a healthier and happier individual. I don't think of me not losing weight as being a plateau anymore. I think of it more as I'm getting the correct amount of food and doing the correct amount of lifting to maintain a body that I dreamed of having when I was 300 pounds. I could care less if I shed another pound, I just want to be stronger and be proud of my accomplishments.
  • sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The reason that your weight loss slows down is that your body
    1) Get used to your new lifestyle and adjusts your metabolism accordingly
    2) You are lighter now and so you generally use less energy to do the same things as when you were heavier

I too get frustrated with slow progress, but I am just 4-5lb away from my goal now and usually lose just half a pound to a pound a week! The lighter you get, the harder it is.
    What I have found to help is to cycle my calories. So for example instead of having the same amount of cals every day, I will have 3 'high' days a week on my weight training days and then 4 'low' days, where i'll do very light cardio like walking.

It keeps your body guessing and helps to break through plateaus. Plus you can eat LOADS on the workout days which helps me mentally!