would you be offended?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I heard on the radio this morning that if you are good friends with some one a gift should reflect what they do and how well you know them. So no I wouldn't be offended if you got me something to help me out with weightloss as long as we had been talking about it alot and know what is going on with it. If I never mentioned it it would be offensive, but not if its an open subject and discussed openly. And if thats how you know this person I say go for it.

You heard me on the radio? That's so awesome!!!

@Jenn - I totally didn't realize that was you because of the picture! I feel silly.

:noway:
    :embarassed: Oh that is funny! Now I feel silly, I didn't think with all the posts that you would see me on here! Well small world honey. I heard you on the radio today also! Lets just forget all about this topic... K?
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    wow, after reading these responses i realize i really REALLY need to start TALKING OPENLY with everyone who gives me gifts about my weightloss/fitness journey and ambitions :laugh: My wish list is long and increases constantly lol
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as the gift goes along with the steps that your friend is already taking to be healthier, it would be perfect. I think that everyone wants to get something that they can use and that they might not buy for themself or have to wait to purchase. I know that is how I am. It kinda bothers me when someone I talk to on a daily basis (i.e. my fiance) has to ask me what I want and tells me that he is horrible at shopping for me. It is not that difficult, I don't think.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I think you're playing with fire. How would you feel? What is someone got you a book on "101 Housecleaning Tips"? Would you think that someone was telling you that your house was unclean?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I think you're playing with fire. How would you feel? What is someone got you a book on "101 Housecleaning Tips"? Would you think that someone was telling you that your house was unclean?

But, if she had, say, just started a housecleaning service - this book would be completely appropriate! Or if she always asked her friend things like - how much vinegar am I supposed to mix with the baking soda again? - this book would be appropriate. It all depends on the surrounding circumstances.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea! My family buys me healthy snacks and fitness stuff now for Christmas. If you are worried she might be offended why not try something a bit less obvious like a fruit basket or a basket of nice healthy, organic food?
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options

This is why I am so torn! I might have issues with thinking "does she think my house is dirty?" But at the same time I think she knows that I love her and only want the best for her. I like the fruit basket idea, that would be something I would like but I am very close and don't want her to think the gift is generic. I give my boss (who I don't care for much) a fruit basket or pumpkin bread type of gift. I am leaning toward just getting her the healthy themed gift with the card idea someone above suggested (proud of the changes she has made over the past year and I am in complete support of her efforts) and if I see in her eyes that she is hurt I can always just try to explain my good intentions.
  • RoadDog
    Options

But, if she had, say, just started a housecleaning service - this book would be completely appropriate! Or if she always asked her friend things like - how much vinegar am I supposed to mix with the baking soda again? - this book would be appropriate. It all depends on the surrounding circumstances.

Yep. I agree. It all comes down to your relationship with that person and how well you know each other. I love to cook, so, up until a few years ago my wife was always buying me specialty cookbooks. I didn't want them, but I knew why she got them and I love her for it. She wsn't saying I was a bad cook. Just knew that I have a passion for cooking.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would not be offended. It is not a secret that I am trying to lose weight, and if someone wants to buy me some stuff to help me along the way, more power to them!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options

I don't know if this analogy is totally accurate. If you had a friend and you were judging the state of their house or their weight, then yeah, it's pretty lame to buy them a gift as a "hint." But, if you have a friend that you're close enough to know a) they're working towards a goal or have an interest in something, and b) they aren't so sensitive about the issue that they'll be offended by you're support, then you should be okay. It all depends on your motives in buying the gift, how well you know the friend, and how sensitive the friend is.
  • RoadDog
    Options

I don't know if this analogy is totally accurate. If you had a friend and you were judging the state of their house or their weight, then yeah, it's pretty lame to buy them a gift as a "hint." But, if you have a friend that you're close enough to know a) they're working towards a goal or have an interest in something, and b) they aren't so sensitive about the issue that they'll be offended by you're support, then you should be okay. It all depends on your motives in buying the gift, how well you know the friend, and how sensitive the friend is.

The only thing that matters is how your friend interprets your gift. I wouldn't do it. I would only buy someone a weight loss related gift if they specifically asked me for it.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options

The only thing that matters is how your friend interprets your gift. I wouldn't do it. I would only buy someone a weight loss related gift if they specifically asked me for it.

I think there's a difference between "weight loss" and "fitness" or "healthy living." A person can be interested in fitness or health and not be losing weight. My brother and cousin are two examples I can think of off the top of my head. Both have always been thin and healthy - and both are fitness nuts.

But I think we are getting locked in a semantics battle about hypothetical situations and people. There's so many variables here. I understood the question to be "would you be offended?" I wouldn't be offended if someone gave me a fitness or healthy living type of gift, but I would be offended if it was something specifically for "weight loss."