50+ long term losers, need support with the last 15

Options
Hi,

I am over 50 and have yo-yo dieted all of my adult life. In November of 2012, I lost down to where I am right now. My mom died, the pie came out and 30 lbs later, I said.. "Oh no.. we are not doing that again." And began my current trek back down the "healthier me" routine in earnest in May ..

One difference in this long term excursion is that I kept up with my walking and Pilates, so it was easier to get back in the bandwagon.

Well, here I am back at my lowest previous weight. This time, I plan to follow through to make it to my final goal.. and then MAINTAIN for my "golden years"

I would love to have a few folks to share motivation with that are long term losers and working on their last few lbs or maintaining or just anyone who feels they can connect with the "Yo yo diet go round" and the need to get off of it once and for all!

Replies

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bumping this in hopes of finding a few like minded people... :glasses:
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I guess the middle of the night was not the best time to post this.. :):flowerforyou:
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 early this year, and am currently working on my fifth weight loss in the last decade. I have struggled with my weight since graduating from high school. I have even created a spreadsheet to track my weight, that has data from the current and 3 previous attempts over the last 7 years. I started running in 2011, figuring that I needed to add some exercise to my Atkins' diet, to try to make the weight loss more durable. I went from 257 to about 195, then suffered an injury and gained 40 pounds back. I restarted my weight loss in January, and have lost over 45 pounds, this time with help from MFP. I think MFP may be the final piece of the puzzle to keeping the weight off: diet, exercise, and MFP to keep me accountable. On the exercise front, I found that signing up for running events (half and full marathons, mostly) gave me goals that required me to work (one does not simply run into Mordor, er, a marathon). A short to medium term goal is to run the Boston marathon (need to get my time down to do that). Long term I would like to run 50 marathons in 50 states. Add me as friend if you'd like.
  • JustMelanie2014
    Options
    Hi: I'm in a similar situation. I lost about 35 pounds with WW. Got to my goal weight and kept it there for several months/to a year. But, I stopped going to WW and weight crept back on. I'm 51 and now hoping to lose 15-20 pounds to get back to a new, slightly higher goal weight. I've been walking somewhat regularly throughout but with my age I think I need to step up the exercise another level or (unlikely) try to cut back more on calories.
  • psposey
    psposey Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I just posted looking for some other "50ish" folks trying to loose those last 10-15 lbs. My current struggle is finding something to replace any kind of impact training - running, etc. I think my right knee is finally saying...enough is enough. While not much of a yo-yo dieter, cracking that final 15 pound has eluded me. Would like to share the experiance, Steve