Yogurt- Yuck!

Options
2»

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Not aiming at people who actually need the extra boost ;) mostly meaning, most products advertise it to boost sales =\ and most people fall for it. It's like yoghurt only contains one kinda of probiotic such as Lactobacillus...but you're only inputing one! There's many others that aid in healthy digestion

Yogurt only contains one kind of probiotic? Funny, I eat Chobani Greek Yogurt, and it contains five... I just confirmed on the manufacturer's website.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    Oh well the ones I've seen in the UK only advertises one (the ones I've seen anyways).
    I've got nothing against yoghurts and probiotics. Just think it's a con when they advertise it and then market it at a high price.
    Over here we have activia. It's so expensive for 4 pots! When you can buy normal yoghurt which probably has the same benefits for half the price.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone by voicing my opinion.
  • elainegsd
    Options
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone by voicing my opinion.

I don't think anybody was offended, my concern is that you were stating your opinions as if they were facts and also providing incorrect information.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    How were they incorrect?!
    It's true that a lot of brands provide only one bacteria in their products. Look at activia-Bifidus Actiregularis Actimel-L. Casei, Muller vitality-Bifidobacterium Yoplait yoghurt-Lactobacillus acidophilus YOplait drinks-Bifidobacterium Yakult- Lactobacillus casei

So I'm sorry if I never found your brand of yoghurt which contains more than 5 species of bacteria. I never gave any false information.

Also the point about yoghurt not really being beneficial is also a topic which is debatable, a group of people think they are beneficial and a group think they are not. I think they're not. So not sure how that can be false =\

Ps. I also studied Microbiology and had a few lectures about this.
  • elainegsd
    Options
    It's true that a lot of brands provide only one bacteria in their products. Look at activia-Bifidus Actiregularis Actimel-L. Casei, Muller vitality-Bifidobacterium Yoplait yoghurt-Lactobacillus acidophilus YOplait drinks-Bifidobacterium Yakult- Lactobacillus casei

You stated this:

Not aiming at people who actually need the extra boost ;) mostly meaning, most products advertise it to boost sales =\ and most people fall for it. It's like yoghurt only contains one kinda of probiotic such as Lactobacillus...but you're only inputing one! There's many others that aid in healthy digestion

Had you said "I've only seen yogurt with one type of probiotic", you would have been correct because you were stating your experience. Instead, you said that yogurt only contains one kind of probiotic.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm not a yogurt fan either. Frozen yogurt is yummy though (to me it is very close to ice cream, so close, I'd buy it over ice cream without hesitation) and has health-aiding cultures in them. Maybe give that a try?
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    Sorry I was meant to say "most" yoghurts! Not that all yoghurts contain only one bacteria. Mistype. Sorry.
  • elainegsd
    Options
    Sorry I was meant to say "most" yoghurts! Not that all yoghurts contain only one bacteria. Mistype. Sorry.

Now we are in complete agreement! :drinker:
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    :P! And that we do!

Also, the poster said she should eat yoghurt everyday, it'll have to be yoghurt that has probiotics in. Normal yoghurt only has bacteria which isn't a probiotic but is just a bacteria used to make it.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So I have read several different articles about how you should eat yogurt everyday. Well honestly I can't stand the smell nor the taste of yogurt. So does anyone know what can take it's place? Or maybe one of the new flavored yogurts that are out that don't taste like original yogurt?

Dairy, unless it's organic, has a lot of hormones and chemicals in it, so yogurt really isn't that good for you. What IS good for you is the probiotic cultures and calcium. Find something else to give you that-like supplements!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options

You stated this:

Had you said "I've only seen yogurt with one type of probiotic", you would have been correct because you were stating your experience. Instead, you said that yogurt only contains one kind of probiotic.

Can we please stop fighting? Thanks!
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options

You stated this:

We weren't fighting :) only debating, but we've stopped! xx
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I love activia light..... any flavor!
  • elainegsd
    Options

Sorry, I didn't realize that this would be interpreted as fighting, I thought we were having a respectful difference of opinion. Neither of us meant to offend anybody, or cause anyone discomfort. If either occurred, please accept my apologies.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    So I have read several different articles about how you should eat yogurt everyday. Well honestly I can't stand the smell nor the taste of yogurt. So does anyone know what can take it's place? Or maybe one of the new flavored yogurts that are out that don't taste like original yogurt?

Dairy, unless it's organic, has a lot of hormones and chemicals in it, so yogurt really isn't that good for you. What IS good for you is the probiotic cultures and calcium. Find something else to give you that-like supplements!

Agreed. Right now I am eating Fage Greek Yogurt with berries mixed in when I do eat it...............

I asked for a yoghurt maker for Christmas. One more thing I am going to start making myself.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Agreed. Right now I am eating Fage Greek Yogurt with berries mixed in when I do eat it...............

I asked for a yoghurt maker for Christmas. One more thing I am going to start making myself.

I've made my own yogurt without any special equipment - not hard at all! If you want to give it a try before getting your yoghurt maker, you can try this method - I found the instructions very easy to follow and it worked like a charm:

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/04/13/monday-mission-homemade-yogurt-the-easy-way/

It's easy to strain the yoghurt with cheese cloth after it's been made to turn it into greek-style consistency.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    IKEA's fat free frozen yogurt is nothing like yogurt & tastes AWESOME! Is that really yogurt?

YEA AWSOME!! Is it yogurt? Not so sure but it’s like 120 cals and only $1 in Canada which is cheaper than the USA. Went to an Ikea in Orlando on vaca and it was $1.49 there, lame!!! The pop was more expensive in the US as well, $1.25 I believe and $1.00 here (and the Canadian dollar is slightly lower .97 cents to $1 US currently so therefore even more expensive in the US).
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have had gastrointestinal issues for the last five or so years and eating yogurt really does help me. I am like you though eating regular yogurt almost makes me gag some times... I have recently found Greek yogurt. Fage plain yogurt with a little honey and fruit is amazing. It does not have the same "tang" or texture that other yogurts have. The full fat greek yogurt is the best, but a little high in calories so I stick with the 2% or the fat free. Seriously give it a try!!!