Bangers and Mash?!?!?

LOVEsummer
LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
My boyfriend studied in London and has been missing this dish since coming back to the states. I really want to make it for him but have no idea how!! I know we have some English members and I was hoping one of you all may know this dish as well as have a recipe for me!?

Any help would be great!

Replies

• Easy!
    Get some sausages! Cook em
    Potatos, Milk, Butter....make mashed potatooo!
    Make some gravy and voila...bangers and mash!
    You can also serve it with garden peas (I do :) mm)
  • He;s most likely had it in a pub so it doesn't even need to be fancy like having caramelised onion gravy.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    English are so crazy with their jargon lol.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Easy!
    Get some sausages! Cook em
    Potatos, Milk, Butter....make mashed potatooo!
    Make some gravy and voila...bangers and mash!
    You can also serve it with garden peas (I do :) mm)

Yep, thats the way I do it tooo!!! =] I also add fried onion... =]

If your having it too, try the Weight watchers Brown onion gravy!!! MMMmmm Yum!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Don't forget the "Spotted D ick" for dessert! LOL I kid you not...i've seen it on the menu in an English pub (it's a custard dish...)
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    My boyfriend studied in London and has been missing this dish since coming back to the states. I really want to make it for him but have no idea how!! I know we have some English members and I was hoping one of you all may know this dish as well as have a recipe for me!?

Any help would be great!

We have several English pubs in the area who serve English fare. The ones I've been to are owned/operated by brits who make and serve the food. Maybe there is one near you? Otherwise, go with what wittle munchin said. :)
  • prettier_me
    prettier_me Posts: 53 Member
    wow i had no idea this was a real recipe! it was in a song in that movie "get him to the greek" and i kept thinking "what the heck is bangers and mash!??!" lol
  • Hahaha :) we do have weird sayings!
    If you do make sausages and mashed potato , make some yorkshire puddings (to die for when dipped in gravy!) BUT...highly calorific!

You could also make toad in the hole!
    Sausages in yorkshire puddings Could probably serve it with mashed potato too.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Yep! Bangers and mash is just sausages, mashed potato and gravy! Or substitute the sausage for the 'extra lean' type and the potato for mashed butternut squash if you're on a diet :wink:

Mind you, I hear the sausages or 'links' as you call them are different in America?

I've even heard of gravy being white and gritty?? What's that all about?? :laugh: And the gent up there thinks WE have crazy jargon?? :laugh:

good luck :flowerforyou: I think its probably going to taste as good as the ingredients you can get over there :wink:
  • dude. Aussie have bangers and mash *L*

comeooooon. cultural differences are so funny. like putting cheese and gravy on chips *fries*. ICK! haha.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Thanks for all the help guys!!!
    No I most certainly won't be eating it :)
    And yes he had it in a pub...
    This just makes me want to visit England more!!!
    PS BS luck in the 2018 World Cup voting :(
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Don't forget the "Spotted D ick" for dessert! LOL I kid you not...i've seen it on the menu in an English pub (it's a custard dish...)

Spotted **** is a pudding. It's like a sponge cake with currents or raisins mixed in, hence the 'spots'. As for the **** aspect, no idea!! :laugh:

It's not a 'custard' dish, it's merely served with custard most of the time :happy:

It's absolutly delicious! You're seriously missing out if you've never tried a spotted ****! :bigsmile:
  • Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    dude. Aussie have bangers and mash *L*

comeooooon. cultural differences are so funny. like putting cheese and gravy on chips *fries*. ICK! haha.

That would be poutine, which I haven't had in at least 6 months. Man you just made me want some. LOL
  • dude. Aussie have bangers and mash *L*

mmm om nom nom!! cheeeesy chips!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Poutine is disgusting, and I am Canadian, it is super popular here! If i have gravy with fries, i prefer to dip, and no slimy cheese! I usually take my fries with sweet & sour sauce.
This discussion has been closed.