flabby arms??? !!!!

mamxo22
mamxo22 Posts: 84
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
so the thing i hate most abotu my body is my arms. i feel liek because i did sports they are fine like i really shouldnt be (i played volleyball for liek my whole life) but i still hate them .. does anyone have any good exercises that workout your triceps.. i have trouble there the most!!!???

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Use resistance bands or dumbbells, and do curls, but when going down, do it slow. Use the gravity as resistance... this will help tone the triceps.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Spot toning is a myth. You can do all the tricep exercises in the world and it won't have any effect on any body fat or "flab" in that specific area. The same applied to abs and crunches. All the situps in the world aren't going to change the layers of body fat covering them.

Your best course of action is total body conditioning with a healthy diet and strength training that will tighten and define your entire physique, boost your metabolism and give you the shape you're looking for.
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    The best way to lose and burn fat is to obtain more muscle. Doing cardio work AND weight training does this! :) It takes time, I'm having the same problem! I HATE my arms :/ But when i started doing TurboJam, even my mom noticed that my arms are getting more defined!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Chair dips - butt just off a chair supporting your weight on your arms. lower yourself so till you hit the floor then back up

Elbow in push ups - Elbows touching your side and your hands as low on your torso as possible.

Tricep kick backs - Take a lightish weight in your hands, bend at the waist about 60 degrees. Keep your elbows tight and stationary right against your ribs and bring your hands up to your shoulders with your palms down. Then extend your arms till they are straight and your hands are slightly above your back. Bring your hands back to your shoulders and rotate your hand so your palms are up now and repeat.

Over head tricep extensions - put a weight in one hand, and stick your arm straight up. Then bend your arm and bring the weight down to behind your head and straighten again. Try and keep your elbow in the same spot pointed straight up.

err . . . that's all I can think of right now. :-)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Spot toning is a myth. You can do all the tricep exercises in the world and it won't have any effect on any body fat or "flab" in that specific area. The same applied to abs and crunches. All the situps in the world aren't going to change the layers of body fat covering them.

Your best course of action is total body conditioning with a healthy diet and strength training that will tighten and define your entire physique, boost your metabolism and give you the shape you're looking for.

Agreed! You must do cardio, cardio, cardio plus healthy diet and water to get rid of the fat first and then you can work on toning. I did working out with Kettlebells for two years and my arms were never tone. I went on HCG and lost 20 pounds. Then, I did "Insanity" and now my arms are finally shaped and toned.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    I have this problem and I do dips from a chair and over the head free weights. It helps but if its bad nothing will make them look like they did when you were 20.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    ohhh I hear ya sister. I hate the bingo wings. If you kneel with one leg and arm on a bench and hold a dumbbell lift your arm back, I do 3 sets of 15. Then if you lie on a bench and hold the dumbbell with both hands and bend and straighten your arm, do you know what I mean? You can look these up on Fitness Mag web site or you tube. :) If you work out at home then I use my ottoman as a bench. :)

I've been working on these for a couple months and my arms aren't flapping like they used to :)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I understand the total body conditioning but I have had success with targeting certain areas. I had terrible "chicken wings" and my first trainer said that there would be some improvement but not much. My next trainer knew it was something that I wanted to focus on and he's been having me do exercises targeting my triceps along with other upper arm exercises to build overall muscle mass and tone. I don't by any means have "man" arms but they're toned and very little flapping under there now.
  • I use a Shake Weight. It's been working for me!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,162 Member

Agree.
  • Chair dips - butt just off a chair supporting your weight on your arms. lower yourself so till you hit the floor then back up

Elbow in push ups - Elbows touching your side and your hands as low on your torso as possible.

Tricep kick backs - Take a lightish weight in your hands, bend at the waist about 60 degrees. Keep your elbows tight and stationary right against your ribs and bring your hands up to your shoulders with your palms down. Then extend your arms till they are straight and your hands are slightly above your back. Bring your hands back to your shoulders and rotate your hand so your palms are up now and repeat.

Over head tricep extensions - put a weight in one hand, and stick your arm straight up. Then bend your arm and bring the weight down to behind your head and straighten again. Try and keep your elbow in the same spot pointed straight up.

err . . . that's all I can think of right now. :-)

hahah this one cracked me up :) thank you so much!!
  • Spot toning is a myth. You can do all the tricep exercises in the world and it won't have any effect on any body fat or "flab" in that specific area. The same applied to abs and crunches. All the situps in the world aren't going to change the layers of body fat covering them.

Agreed! You must do cardio, cardio, cardio plus healthy diet and water to get rid of the fat first and then you can work on toning. I did working out with Kettlebells for two years and my arms were never tone. I went on HCG and lost 20 pounds. Then, I did "Insanity" and now my arms are finally shaped and toned.

did insanity work well??? i really wanna get it and everyone seems pssitive it does but ya know its a lot of money and im worried its just another dvd.
  • ohhh I hear ya sister. I hate the bingo wings. If you kneel with one leg and arm on a bench and hold a dumbbell lift your arm back, I do 3 sets of 15. Then if you lie on a bench and hold the dumbbell with both hands and bend and straighten your arm, do you know what I mean? You can look these up on Fitness Mag web site or you tube. :) If you work out at home then I use my ottoman as a bench. :)

I've been working on these for a couple months and my arms aren't flapping like they used to :)

that sounds good :) haha i seriously despise my arms like omg i hate them. thank youuu soo much :):)
This discussion has been closed.