irongirl triathlon? can I do it?

20carrots
20carrots Posts: 279 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I just came across this...it's in August, so 8-9 mos away. It appears to more of a "sprint" distance so a petite tri, but can I do it? I'm not a great swimmer and my $50 broken down bike from the discount store prob won't cut it.

Can I do this? Am I crazy enough to do it? The idea seems terrifying but energizing at the same time...

Replies

• I did a triathlon that was 16 miles biking, 3 mile run and 1/2 mile swim. very doable, although the swim sounds short it seems long, so you will have to get into swimming more!! the biking was the easiest for me. You don't need a GREAT bike but at least one in working order haha :) that is plenty of time to get ready.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Do it, Do it, Do it !!

I'm shooting for 2015 Ironman. I know that's forever away but I have a lot of work to do. I am so excited.

You will be so proud of yourself. You can do it !!

Let us know how it goes.

I am so excited for you.

Eva
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    Yes you CAN!! Im doing my first in the spring. I suck at swimming but you have plenty of time to train just like me.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Definitely do it.

Do they have a Training Course for it? Some triathlons aimed a beginners do and some even provide a bike to borrow for it. I did my first in February this year (300m swim, 7km bike, 3km run) and am looking at doing another couple in the next few months (I'm in Australia so our Tri season is October - May). I also found this website which is full of useful information http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Good luck :drinker:
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Thanks everyone! It's really a scary/exciting proposition but hey that's how you know you're living, right? :drinker:

Registration doesn't open til 12/31 so I'll chew on it for a few more days...
This discussion has been closed.