Zumba?!?!?! anyone tried it?

Options
I am new to this whole diet site, I have never tried it before but a friend turned me over to it and she looks amazing, I have purchased zumba and P90X, problem is I have a heart condition ( AVNRT) and I cant handle a high heart rate but at the same time I have gained from 130 ish size 6 to 155 size 13/14 and sometimes I can squeeze in 10's, I am miserable, I am making my husbands life miserable, we just got married in june, b/c I am so depressed and feel so huge.....what my question is, have any of you got any suggestions on excercise? should I just do cardio an hour a day and then tone up after I see weight loss results? I cant afford a personal trainer so I am hoping you guys have some ideas, zumba seems ok but I have to go slow with it....has anyone lost weight on it?

Replies

• Jwirl
    Jwirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great, I have lost weight. but it really gets my heart going,it is hard. I do it for like an hour a few times a week. aslo i use a stationary bike it burns calories and it isnt as hard as zumba. i was also about 130 and recently went up to 168, its hard and i am finally getting my weight back down. i was depressed too but once you see the number on the scale start to drop you will feel better. And let me know how you like p90x i want to try that.
  • wendywc
    wendywc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, am Wendy, am new to myfitnesspal also. Yes, I've tried zumba and LOVE IT. I only do it once a week, I haven't lost weight but I haven't gainned either! I know if I was more dedicated to it and stay away from sweets I would lose weight. Does it count, if you feel thinner! lol Even if you do zumba slow, the key is to keep moving and calories will be burned. Walking is good as well, I walk about 2 miles in the morning and it seems to set my day, my thoughts and energy. When I skip, I am more sluggish.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, you don't need to endanger yourself. Talk to your doc about an acceptable HR
    Really all you need to do to drop the weight is cut your intake/calories (and fat), seriously control what you eat and it will come off.

Workouts are beneficial for a variety of reasons....
    I workout 'cause I'm getting older and have to protect my bones.

Count everything, plan everything, and LOVE YOURSELF :flowerforyou:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Try stationary cycling, it is easier on the body and if you keep pace you will lose fat.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I am new to this whole diet site, I have never tried it before but a friend turned me over to it and she looks amazing, I have purchased zumba and P90X, problem is I have a heart condition ( AVNRT) and I cant handle a high heart rate but at the same time I have gained from 130 ish size 6 to 155 size 13/14 and sometimes I can squeeze in 10's, I am miserable, I am making my husbands life miserable, we just got married in june, b/c I am so depressed and feel so huge.....what my question is, have any of you got any suggestions on excercise? should I just do cardio an hour a day and then tone up after I see weight loss results? I cant afford a personal trainer so I am hoping you guys have some ideas, zumba seems ok but I have to go slow with it....has anyone lost weight on it?

I do Zumba a few times a week, and I really like it, but its cardio. So when you say you can't handle a high heart rate, how high are we talking? Because today my heart rate average was 162 but my highest point was 183. I would definitely speak with your doctor before you start any cardio if you think it will cause issues with your heart. If you cant do as much exercise then if I were you I would make sure my eating is on point. You will lose weight if you eat right, and maintain a calorie deficit compared to your BMR.
  • rocketgirl911
    rocketgirl911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love zumba but it is a tough workout. I think you should exercise with a heart rate monitor so that you know where your HR is at no matter what activity you are doing, and you can pretty much modify any workout to slow it down. I also have P90X but I find zumba to feel less like a workout and much more fun!
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest strength training along with cardio. Strength training builds muscle and muscle cells burn calories. No need to wait until after your weight loss results to tone, do it now! :happy:
  • padbh
    padbh Posts: 40
    Options
    see if there is a jazzercise in your area, it is like having a personal trainer without the cost, let them know your condition and they will modifiey all the routines, and you will still get a work out.
  • hooah_mj
    Options
    Sweetie, you don't need to endanger yourself. Talk to your doc about an acceptable HR
    Really all you need to do to drop the weight is cut your intake/calories (and fat), seriously control what you eat and it will come off.

Workouts are a variety of reasons....
    I workout 'cause I'm getting older and have to protect my bones.

Count everything, plan everything, and LOVE YOURSELF :flowerforyou:

I forgot to answer your question...yeap, I absolutely love-love Zumba :heart: my heart rate goes thru the roof, tho....170 easy.

Get a pedometer and walk A LOT....10k, 12k a day will do wonders :happy:
    & remember, half your weight in ounces of Water :drinker:
  • saleengurl99
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! the P90X I have already tried, you deff have to commit to it, its like boot camp honestly, in the first set i had to do about 5 types of push ups, whew they were tuff! if you dont have the problems I have and you can commit to it then I would buy it off ebay ( half the price) and do it b/c I know it works for sure, I just cant hang with it...youtube.com and type in p90x results and its pretty impressive. I think I will join a gym for the stationary bike and the treadmill for now, its been really cold here and I hate to freeze..lol..i have changed my eating habits and thought about ordering the acai berry stuff ao I am hoping by the end of january I can atleast get in my 10's without doing the hop and jump and stretch.....I cut out my sweets except the skinny cow ice cream but they are as many calories as a yogurt so i think thats ok....im excited that I have people who are feeling the same way I am...means alot to have support...thanks you guys!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great. It's so much fun and I feel that it's a pretty good work-out. I usually work up a good sweat. I think everyone should try it at least once
  • saleengurl99
    Options
    heart rate question, Im pretty sure they dont want it over 170, when they admitted me into the hospital and realized I had the condition my heart rate was 299 - 303 they were freaking which was causing me to freak, I was in and out of conciousness, it was real NOT good....so now I have to take 2 meds a day im thinking walking and biking is my best et for right now, im 30 years old and feel like im 50 it sucks
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    I attend a zumba class twice a week. I wear my hrm and my heart rate usually max's at 176ish but has gone as high as 185. I'm 5'5 and 215lbs. Now you need to decide if it's best for you to do it (you and the doc), but let me say, I LOVE IT!
  • hooah_mj
    Options
    heart rate question, Im pretty sure they dont want it over 170, when they admitted me into the hospital and realized I had the condition my heart rate was 299 - 303 they were freaking which was causing me to freak, I was in and out of conciousness, it was real NOT good....so now I have to take 2 meds a day im thinking walking and biking is my best et for right now, im 30 years old and feel like im 50 it sucks

If ya can believe it....I look AND feel better now, at 50, than I did at 30 :tongue:
    It's amazing how much attention I can give to myself when I don't have a baby in one arm and a couple others sliding down the stairs :bigsmile:
  • LeslieReagan
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I LOVE Zumba but like others have said...it's pretty tough on the heart. My heart rate skyrockets when I do it.

I didn't get the chance to read through all the comments, so I don't know if anyone has said this yet. Have you tried pilates? It is a killer workout that's pretty easy on the heart. I did pilates for only 30 minutes yesterday and I am definitely feeling it today.

Hope you find a good routine!

-LR
  • saleengurl99
    Options
    Pilates...no I havent! that would be great...can you recommend a good dvd? we live in a very small town and they do not have any classes here?
  • JulieTX86
    Options

Walking on treadmills at the gym and using the stationary bike could be really good for you actually. I go to Gold's Gym and all their equipment has heart rate monitors on them. So you can keep track of your heart rate. If you can save up enough money then purchasing a heart rate monitor would be a great idea for you. If you are not trying to get too fancy with one, and buy a simple monitor that tracks heart rate only (and not calories, miles walked etc.) then you can find one for a pretty decent price. Even target & walmart sells them.
    I bought a Polar FT7 last week on Amazon for $75. It tracks heart rate, calories burned, keeps my last 99 workouts on file etc. so you can definitly get a more simplified version for a cheaper price.
  • Littlebrew
    Options
    I just purchased Zumba today, my husband and I have "Insanity" very high intensity and works great just a lot of jumping and is stressful on the knees. Although after the first few weeks it gets tolerable but never easy, and I love a challenge just wanted to switch up. I was in the military so hard workouts I'm use to. My question is are the moves in Zumba easy to follow? I'm not really coordinated but thought it looked fun and would be something- else my husband and I could do together. Excited and can't wait for my package to arrive, until then treadmill and my home gym will have to do until I can switch things up a bit.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    You need to speak with your doctor. Such advice should be given from a doctor. Not non-professional people.
  • MrsRios
    Options
    I have, 35 lbs in 4 months! I LOVE ZUMBA I go to classes twice a week but I also have DVDs that I do when I don't go to class . I also do some weights and sit ups/ crunches to firm my skin. Zumba is fun, but also burns lots of calories. U also have to eat healthy( at least 1200 cals) and drink lots of water. You can go at your own pace and you will see as times goes by that you will get in better shape. Good luck and I definately recommend Zumba!