30DS seems to do nothing

I'm done with level 1 of the 30 Day Shred and.... nothing has changed. I haven't lost weight despite restricting calories, my measurements haven't changed, and I barely notice a difference in endurance or fitness.
I wonder if it's even worth starting lvl 2 if I'm not gonna see results :(

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    How many days is level 1? A full 30 days?
    And by "restricting calories" what exactly do you mean? Are you sure you're accurately logging your food and counting your calories?
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Level 1 is only 10 days, but I'm getting discouraged because everyone else I've talked to / read about who did the 30DS already saw changes after these 10 days, even if it was just endurance wise.

I'm weighing and logging all my food and consistently stay between 1300-1400, which is a 500cal deficit from my maintain-calories.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    hiyah you should really be losing weight if you are accurately logging your food and sticking to your weekly intake.
    with regards to 30ds it might not be the right for you. I struggled the first time i did it and when i revisited it recently i saw how much stronger i became. you might need something more challenging.
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    I would start level 2 and see how that goes. If easy join level 1 & 2 together. Keep going as your body sometimes takes a while to adjust to different calories and exercises.:-)
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    I noticed more of a difference in everything around mid level 2, ok well endurance was still a little bit on the low end but not nearly as bad as when I first started.... don't get discouraged. :)
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    also, when you work out your muscles, you retain water afterwards as the muscles repair themselves basically (from what I have been told over and over and over again when I get discouraged) When you begin any new weightlifting program your body will retain water in the beginning. This is because your body’s muscles will temporarily store more glycogen when you start a new program (or change or increase the weights in your program) and this attracts more water to your muscles. This is one reason why your muscles swell. After your body adapts to the new program your body will stop storing excess glycogen and the water retention will decrease.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    I did 30DS a couple times last year and my weight didn't really change much (maybe a couple pounds), but my measurements changed a lot. If you have access to a measuring tape, track your progress that way, you'll be far from discouraged.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    No exercise programme will change you in 10 days.

In fact, it's likely that new exercise programmes cause you to retain water in the the short term (1-2 weeks) which masks actual fat loss. Often after about 3 weeks of working out at a new intensity level this water weight drops and reveals the true weight loss. Don't worry about it, just:

Be accurate with your logging.
    Keep a moderate calorie deficit.
    Get adequate protein.
    Drink plenty of fluids.
    Get decent sleep.
    Be consistent and apply yourself during your workouts.

You'll get results.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,843 Member
    Are you giving all you can give? Do more jumping jacks than the trainer for example? What kind of weights are you using?

To be honest, 30ds didn't do much for me either and I gave up somewhere in week 2, but mainly because my feet couldn't deal with all the jumping around and because I found the whole thing to be quite unbalanced: a few kind of isolated arm exercises which prevent you from doing proper lunges and hardly anything decent for the lower back. Instead masses of abs exercises. Hmpf..
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 276 Member
    when i did 30DS i noticed a difference in endurance but thats about it. i spoke to my trainer and she stated that my body is too advanced for Jillian's dvds which sucks because i love jillian. only video of hers i really sweat at is Banish Fat and Boost Metabolism
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    If you regularly get frustrated after 10 days of effort it's not your workout that needs fixing
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    If you regularly get frustrated after 10 days of effort it's not your workout that needs fixing

i think its important to be realistic about what is going to happen and in what time frame. I realised late that things take time and patience is important and just to keep on going.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    You seriously thought you'd see major results in all of 10 days? Maybe if someone was incredibly inactive and then started an exercise routine they could see some very minor results after 10 days, due to their muscles holding a bit more water and possibly due to improved posture, but real results take time and effort. The whole premise of the average person getting "shredded" in all of 30 days is laughable. Do the program if it challenges you and you enjoy it, but try to have a little patience when it comes to seeing results.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    A little perspective... You dont know where those other people were physically before they started the program and that can be a major factor. You also don't know what their diets were like, etc. You cannot make accurate comparisons when you don't have all the facts.

It's my thought that either way, it won't hurt to continue on. Either you'll find level 2 more challenging so it will actually help you change your physique, or you find it too challenging and realize you need to stay with level 1 a little longer to help increase your endurance.

Or just drop it and try something else. Totally up to you...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    You seriously thought you'd see major results in all of 10 days? Maybe if someone was incredibly inactive and then started an exercise routine they could see some very minor results after 10 days, due to their muscles holding a bit more water and possibly due to improved posture, but real results take time and effort. The whole premise of the average person getting "shredded" in all of 30 days is laughable. Do the program if it challenges you and you enjoy it, but try to have a little patience when it comes to seeing results.
    This!!!!
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    I did 30DS (admittedly with light weights because my heavier ones keep the snake in his cage and I don't want to wake up with a ball python in the dish drainer again :noway: true story.)

I saw minimal change in measurements (including an inch gained in my leg lol). I lost a bit from some places (arms, hips) but my waist stayed the same. I had more definition at the end though, my stomach looks better from the front but the same from the side. I lost 8 lbs but that was from diet as well. I am glad i finished it and might even do it again, but I didn't have results like a lot of people either. And it hurt my knees.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Give it a year and then get back to us. 10 days is a drop in the bucket.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    I didn't see much change after the first level, but I saw more when I finished level 2. I'm about done with level 3 and I can already see way more results than before. But I'm not doing JUST 30 Day Shred. I'm also doing her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism DVD, 6 Week 6 Pack, Kick Box Fast Fix, and Extreme Shed and Shred. Just doing 30 Day Shred isn't going to be enough, you need to do other cardio with it. I think she's even said that somewhere. Level 3 you do lower back work outs to help with your core. I would suggest if its something you enjoy doing, keep at it, but if you find the DVD boring then switch to something else.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    I'm done with level 1 of the 30 Day Shred and.... nothing has changed. I haven't lost weight despite restricting calories, my measurements haven't changed, and I barely notice a difference in endurance or fitness.
    I wonder if it's even worth starting lvl 2 if I'm not gonna see results :(

I finished level 1 yesterday, and I'm going into level 2 in a few minutes.
    Level one took me 12 days, because I added 2 rest days. I've been using 2x10 lbs dumbbells, and my muscles were on fire for the rest of the day after training. The 'curling' pain in my biceps vanished on day 3. On day 7, I had doubled the total number of pushups, compared to day one. My average heart rate came down, too...which basically means, that I have to step up intensity again, just to keep the calorie burn going..... Which, by the way isn't much. I never got above 220 calories in one workout.
    Nutrition is key, if you want to be successful. Don't be fooled by all the huffing and puffing, it's not related to calorie burn. If you don't have experience setting up a meal plan, follow Jillian's plan. Google it, it's posted online.
    This is meant to be an extreme, time-limited training plan, and very likely not suitable for long term use. But it's giving the results for what it was designed. I'm 51, 5'5", 132 lbs, 17% BF, and I've been training for a while. I'm using this workout to shave off just a little more fat. I still think it's hard, but it's worth the effort. Don't quit! Just keep going as good as you can! No need to be perfect, watch your form, train safe, and have fun with it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I think with only 11kg to go no you won't see much change...sorry.

When I did 30DS last year when I first joined here I wasn't totally inactive...I had been doing some exercise in the months previous but nothing really that made me "sore"...30DS made me sore.

Yes I lost 3 inches in the first 10 days...that was significant to me...I did not however lose any weight....nada...

For the full 30 days (took me 33 days) I lost a total of 9 inches and 3lbs which is great...I would have lost more weight had I been weighing my food.

The 2nd round (1 week after the first) I lost more weight but less inches..but then again I was weighing all more food at that point..

so is finishing it worth it...yes...are you going to see "big" changes...define big....but don't expect miracles.