Exercise routines

Options
I am one of them people in the gym that has zero idea what they're doing or what they're doing is actually helping to get into shape.
Can any gym experts give me some tips on what I should be doing? What's the best way to get into shape?

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I am one of them people in the gym that has zero idea what they're doing or what they're doing is actually helping to get into shape.
    Can any gym experts give me some tips on what I should be doing? What's the best way to get into shape?

Lifting wise...(options)
    - New Rules of LIfting for Women (or something like that)
    - Starting Strength
    - StrongLifts 5x5
    - 5/3/1 5's Pro (Beyond 5/3/1 eBook)

Cardio: Find something you can commit to that's challenging. I prefer high-intensity interval training (HIIT), so you can look up different ideas for that. Something like...
    - Elliptical or Exercise Bike: 6-sec max effort sprint, 20 - 30 sec rest, rinse & repeat for 20 - 30 minutes
    - Elliptical or Exercise Bike (will take some practice) 2-min @ low effort / 2-min @ moderate effort / 1-min @ max effort (5-min sets) Do this for 20-minutes, add 5-minutes from there
    - Exercise Bike Tempos: Cycle at 110RPM's for 30-sec, hop off and do 30-sec's of ab work or push-ups
    - Battle Ropes: 20-sec on / 20-sec off
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I second HIIT. There are tons of free videos on youtube, and they are usually done with little to no equipment. Other than that, I like to get my heart rate up by biking, then go to weights. I do almost everything by videos though, so I guess I'm not much help now that I think of it, sorry!
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I walked around so confused last time I was there. I know elliptical and classes. It's overwhelming to me.

Are there trainers at your gym that you can just hire for a one time visit to show you the ropes?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP what are your goals fitness wise, that should give you a good idea of what to focus on, but in general a good routine should have elements of strength, conditioning and flexibility/mobility thrown in. the ratio of each will depend on what your goals are

strength : strong lifts, starting strength, strong curves
    conditioning : swimming, rowing, running, etc
    flexibility/mobility : stretching, yoga, foam rolling, massages etc.

So what are your fitness goals (being able to bench your body weight? can run a 10k?) people can give you a better idea of some things to try if you know what you want to accomplish.

also newbies should not be doing HIIT, that's a really good way to injure yourself. intervals are OK, but HIIT no and suggesting it is pretty irresponsible.