Is it worth it to spend money for a personal trainer

Options
I made an appointment with personal trainer at the gym since I also want to reduce body fat and be more fit. However after our first session when they test a physical level and show you to do everything properly and also challenge you to work out harder .However, he told me hat to sign up a training session with them for a year is $10 000(ten thousand)which I think is allot but you pay it by weekly and you have to pay 10% of down payment.I told him I will think about it but I think its too expensive. Is it worth to invest money into this

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I made an appointment with personal trainer at the gym since I also want to reduce body fat and be more fit. However after our first session when they test a physical level and show you to do everything properly and also challenge you to work out harder .However, he told me hat to sign up a training session with them for a year is $10 000(ten thousand)which I think is allot but you pay it by weekly and you have to pay 10% of down payment.I told him I will think about it but I think its too expensive. Is it worth to invest money into this

Blimey that's a lot of money....

There's plenty of free fitness programmes out there for different goals (C25K, Starting Strength, etc).

Dietary control is what makes you lose weight and that can be achieved for free using this site/app.

10 Large sounds like a ****tonne of money to me...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    uh, no. After my trade-in, that's about what I paid for my vehicle. WTF
  • Jlew64
    Jlew64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer is a good investment and can make a big difference in your workout results. But asking you to make a $10,000 year long commitment seems unreasonable. Are you obligated to stay with it the entire year or can you cancel early if you want to? Even though it breaks down to only about $200/week, which isn't excessive (depending on how many sessions you get each week) asking you to commit to a year in advance is suspicious.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    That's like 3 sessions a week for a year. A dream for a PT.

Here's my advice. Sign up for 3-5 sessions. Learn as much as you can and make sure that he writes your routine down. If in 3-5 sessions you feel like you're advancing or enjoy it, then you can option to sign up for more.

A good PT's intent should be to get "rid" of their clients and not have them come back due to providing them with the right info and technique so that they can continue on their own.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's a bad deal.

i'm not even talking about the $10k for a year. that's not unheard of here in LA (typical 3x per week training will run $600-900 here). but the part about committing to a year up front is a complete no go. what if you hate it? what if you move? what if you like it, but after a couple of months figure out that you and the trainer don't mesh, or that he/she is incompetent? i've seen people pay $5k upfront, love their trainer and the gym, and then the trainer leaves to go independent (or get a real job because training at a big box doesn't pay shet)

if they wanted you to commit to a month, or two or three, that's not unfair. but a year is crazy time. find a different trainer with a more reasonable policy
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Hell no would I even consider this. Too many variables for far too much money. And to be honest sounds scammy.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Unless they're on-call 24/7 and cooking your meals, that's ridiculous.

Get a GOOD (like, with verifiable clients who have had great results) trainer for a month, learn proper movements, study up online, and do the rest yourself.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Do personal trainers make that much? LOL
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Blimey that's a lot of money....

There's plenty of free fitness programmes out there for different goals (C25K, Starting Strength, etc).

Dietary control is what makes you lose weight and that can be achieved for free using this site/app.

10 Large sounds like a ****tonne of money to me...

yea makes sense but I want to loose 20 pounds and I know I can achieve that with this site but I coudld still reach my goal and still have body fat which can be reduced with weight training.however,i am not going to spend that money for that
  • Tanie98
    Options
    A personal trainer is a good investment and can make a big difference in your workout results. But asking you to make a $10,000 year long commitment seems unreasonable. Are you obligated to stay with it the entire year or can you cancel early if you want to? Even though it breaks down to only about $200/week, which isn't excessive (depending on how many sessions you get each week) asking you to commit to a year in advance is suspicious.

yes you can cancel anytime
  • Tanie98
    Options
    uh, no. After my trade-in, that's about what I paid for my vehicle. WTF

lol:laugh:
  • cindyst1
    cindyst1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fabulous deal... For the personal trainer, that is. =)
    Cindy
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do personal trainers make that much? LOL

he/she probably gets ~40-50% of that
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    don't do that, it is ridiculous. unless you can afford to pay that kind of money. if i was rolling around in dough i would.so if you are more power to you i guess.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who are personal trainers, but I would still never hire one. I managed to transform my body by simply doing a ton of research. If you want to start lifting, most trainers in the gym will help you out on an ad hoc basis, i.e. you could ask them to check your form. I would never pay for a PT session personally but it all depends on your goals and if you're a complete beginner. If it will help with your knowledge and confidence, then perhaps pay for 1 or 2 sessions. But 10k is a ridiculous amount of money!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow that's way too high. I used a PT for very specific goals of mine and it was worth it. I used her for the three months leading up to an event called Tough Mudder. It was $50/ hour and she kicked my butt for every part of it. But 10k? Uh, no.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That has got to be a scam. I don't know who you're going through, but that's absolutely insane. I've spent about that much in 5 years with my training, but in a single year?? I get two sessions a week and I started in a really insanely bad and unsafe place, but still... I would check around to see what the market rate is in the area and negotiate a set number of sessions with them at that rate if that's what you really want to do. Most of these places are very negotiable.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    That is an absurd amount of money!!!! See if they have a Boot Camp. I pay $176 per month for 3 sessions a week. It's in a group setting but with a PT. I've noticed great results and it's a tough workout! At my gym a PT costs $99 per hour!! I think that is crazy!!
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For that kind of money? No way! I had a personal trainer when I began my weight loss. It was great way to introduce to different exercises and using weights and it kept me accountable, because I knew I would see him 2X a week, so I was motivated to continue exercising the days that I didn't see him. My trainer was $60 for two 30 minute sessions a week. Good luck! :)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Red flag RIGHT THERE - if you're only looking to lose 20 lbs, unless you have *specific* bodybuilding/powerlifting/other goals, you sure won't need a year to get there. And a good, trustworthy trainer knows that.

You might very well want to continue working with a trainer. Lots of people's goals evolve a bit as they make progress. Which is great. But it's totally shady for the trainer to make that assumption up front. It suggests that they aren't listening to you and what YOU are trying to accomplish.

To Niner's point, they shouldn't be trying to suck you into an endless series of transactions. That said, some people (I was one) use a personal trainer as an ongoing long-term thing. Why? Because I do *great* on the lifting itself. Don't need pushing. Having a PT lets me unplug my brain though, and not think about workarounds for busy stations, and the appointments ensure that if I do nothing else in a given week, I get in those sessions. That's a very different role than having someone coach you for specific weight/size goals.

Bottom line, a PT needs to work for YOU and YOUR goals, whatever they are. This one's already blown it - clearly either not listening or doesn't care. Find one who does. HTH