How to let your family know you don't eat processed food?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Flour is processed.
    Fruit and vegetables at the market are processed.
    Meat at the market is processed.
    Bread is processed.

So, you're trying to avoid all that?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd probably go buy some fresh foods and make up some salad and other dishes to eat and share with everyone. I'd eat a big portion of fresh food at each meal and have a bit of what they're serving as well. If you're feeling ill, maybe it's less about the processed food in and of itself and more about a simple lack of dietary balance. :smile:

Preach.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Go shopping, buy the ingredients, and cook a meal for everyone. Show them how it's done.

This. I can totally understand how you're feeling. Anyone that is saying just eat within your calorie range and don't worry about it is so wrong and doesn't understand how their body works. All the processed/boxed junk is so bad for us and doesn't contribute anything to our bodies. Losing weight and eating more healthily(is that a word?, lol) is WAY more then staying within a calorie goal.

I would let them know that you are feeling like crap because of the processed junk and make some meals for them. Or if they absolutely won't have anything to do with it, I'd get my own stuff and make some meals for myself or at the very least some more nutritious sides.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is just a fad anyway, eat within calories and nothing bad will happen to you!

Not sure if this is a serious comment?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is just a fad anyway, eat within calories and nothing bad will happen to you!

How dare you!!:angry::angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
    2qsv39j.gif

edit for more angry faces.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Go shopping, buy the ingredients, and cook a meal for everyone. Show them how it's done.

This. I can totally understand how you're feeling. Anyone that is saying just eat within your calorie range and don't worry about it is so wrong and doesn't understand how their body works. All the processed/boxed junk is so bad for us and doesn't contribute anything to our bodies. Losing weight and eating more healthily(is that a word?, lol) is WAY more then staying within a calorie goal.

I would let them know that you are feeling like crap because of the processed junk and make some meals for them. Or if they absolutely won't have anything to do with it, I'd get my own stuff and make some meals for myself or at the very least some more nutritious sides.

No need to make things up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

:huh:

How is losing weight more than staying within your calories. We're also talking about a visit, not an address change.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I had the reversed situation, had family visit and they wanted to cook Mexican food for me. Which yum...but oh the calories, chili relenos, enchiladas, rice and guacamole! I took small portions of everything as not to be rude and was very emphatic about how great it was! Then the next night I asked to return the favor and everyone was happy!
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I see on your profile you are 18 years old. I have twin girls that are 18 and they don't always have the means or money to get to the store let alone shop for their own food. If this is the case for you I would cut way back on my portions and drink LOTS of water. If they ask you what's wrong then tell them you are trying to eat more fresh fruits and veggies and less processed food. As far as the people telling you that you aren't really sick after eating this stuff.... well, they've never had a tummy ache after they've restricted their diet I guess. I know after I cut back and stopped drinking regular soda and sweet tea I can't drink one now without spending the next couple hours in the restroom. Everyone's body is different but I know my body can't handle the change.
    Good Luck!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Okay, so on my dad's side of the family, they're not very wealthy or anything so they just get processed food for everything. I've been staying down here for two weeks and I have yet to eat something that's not from a box/jar/can. I haven't eaten ANY fresh vegetables or fruit and I'm feeling really sick. Usually I eat as healthily as I can, but here there isn't one thing healthy. I can feel myself getting sick and I've already gained weight. But I don't want to be a hassle and be "picky" about my food or so they call it. What should I do? Should I just leave and go back home and shorten my visit?

Just break up.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Okay, so on my dad's side of the family, they're not very wealthy or anything so they just get processed food for everything. I've been staying down here for two weeks and I have yet to eat something that's not from a box/jar/can. I haven't eaten ANY fresh vegetables or fruit and I'm feeling really sick. Usually I eat as healthily as I can, but here there isn't one thing healthy. I can feel myself getting sick and I've already gained weight. But I don't want to be a hassle and be "picky" about my food or so they call it. What should I do? Should I just leave and go back home and shorten my visit?

Define "healthy"

You are really getting sick from eating stuff from a box/jar/can? That must suck to be you.

If it's that bad, go buy some ingredients at the store and cook a meal for everyone.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Not sure if this is a serious comment?

100% serious
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Judging by your binge thread yesterday, I wouldn't go blaming your family's food choices for you feeling sick.

OP, I left my boyfriend and am staying with family until my new lease starts. For the whole three months I'm not living in my flat, I've had to pay that rent and my phone contract while saving for a downpayment before my deposit comes back, with no income until mid-september. I can still afford to buy a few healthy items here and there to fill in for the nutrition that my family's food choices lack and I cook a healthy meal for my family once a week. It's not difficult and I'm certainly not gaining weight.
  • da_bears1008
    Options

:enter food fear mongering:
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

This. I can totally understand how you're feeling. Anyone that is saying just eat within your calorie range and don't worry about it is so wrong and doesn't understand how their body works. All the processed/boxed junk is so bad for us and doesn't contribute anything to our bodies.Losing weight and eating more healthily(is that a word?, lol) is WAY more then staying within a calorie goal.

:laugh:

My body works just fine. Getting proper nutrition has nothing to do with demonizing food. But nice try
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

whymewhyme.gif
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Buy groceries and keep them hidden in your room.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Unless you're picking food off the plant itself then it has some sort of process to get it to where you are. Unless you're eating tons of fried foods or sweets you're not going to get fat. All that really matters is that you eat within your calorie goals.

You won't get sick eating processed foods unless you have celiac disease or some other pre existing condition. You get sick from bacteria or virus invasions in your body.

VcHRGRq.gif

From personal experience, not to mention thousands of examples/empirical evidence, I beg to differ. You CAN feel sick from processed foods, especially if your body has adjusted to having a steady influx of healthy foods. I would explain, but since you believe Jessie's idea of "science" is your final word, I'm not sure you'd take it to heart. So instead, I would suggest you do a little more research of your own on the subject. That goes for anyone else who isn't taking this seriously.