Steak on the foreman grill?

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,707 Member
    Options
    Cast iron pan > Foreman "grill"

Cast iron griddle pan + pre heated cast iron grill press (steak weight) > Foreman grill
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

forman grill is faster

Who cares if it's faster by a min or two, it produces an inferior end product

whats so inferior?

in 3 min the steak doesn't really lose that much grease, or at least there isn't much that seems to trickle out of it.

maillard reaction + inability to baste with butter and aromatics
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    How long for medium rare? They are one inch thick steaks.

Idk, cook for two min and cut into them and go from there

This post made me sad.

Never cut into a steak while still cooking to check doneness. This will cause all the juices to come out. You also want the steak to "rest" for about 10 mins before cutting.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm not going to bother. I don't have a grilling pan, so there goes that. I'll let hubby cook them on the outside grill...

This is what I do :happy: . Or we go out.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

forman grill is faster

whats so inferior?

in 3 min the steak doesn't really lose that much grease, or at least there isn't much that seems to trickle out of it.

Can't get the beautiful, tasty char on the outside, while keeping a juicy, warm red center using a Foreman. Therefore it is inferior.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

forman grill is faster

whats so inferior?

Never could be achieved on a Foreman grill

dryagedribeye101.jpg
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

This post made me sad.

Never cut into a steak while still cooking to check doneness. This will cause all the juices to come out. You also want the steak to "rest" for about 10 mins before cutting.

^^This^^
    I'd also add that putting a weight on meat is in bad form. Just like pressing it down with a spatula. Let's just go ahead and press all of the juices out.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

forman grill is faster

whats so inferior?

you are definetly a way more advanced cook then me lol.

learned something there. you don't like the flavor of the grill searing? i still put a seasoning rub on it, and i would imagine you could still baste it but could see how it probably wouldn't work as well.

idk, for a guy that can barely cook its kind of a nice option
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

This post made me sad.

its seriously not going to change the flavor, besides, do it once and then you know how long you have to cook it for. you can't adjust the temp on the forman grill, another draw back
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I cook mine on the George and it comes out great!. I like it rare, wife likes hers medium to well done.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

This post made me sad.

^^This^^
    I'd also add that putting a weight on meat is in bad form. Just like pressing it down with a spatula. Let's just go ahead and press all of the juices out.

that will dry out a steak
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options

forman grill is faster

whats so inferior?

learned something there. you don't like the flavor of the grill searing? i still put a seasoning rub on it, and i would imagine you could still baste it but could see how it probably wouldn't work as well.

sdY4SDg.png
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm not going to bother. I don't have a grilling pan, so there goes that. I'll let hubby cook them on the outside grill...

This is what I do :happy: . Or we go out.

Where I live now, I can't have a grill....makes me so sad, cause I miss my grill
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Used to use Foreman, now I use a cast iron grill top... steaks were quite juicy on the Foreman...
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

forman grill is faster

whats so inferior?

Can't get the beautiful, tasty char on the outside, while keeping a juicy, warm red center using a Foreman. Therefore it is inferior.

i'll admit that, you wont get the same level of searing and still have it red on the inside.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

This post made me sad.

its seriously not going to change the flavor

You, good sir, have no knowledge of what you speak.

If you prefer your steak dry and bland then by all means cut that sucker up into a million pieces and throw it in a pan. Shouldn't affect the flavor, right? Please turn in your man card on your way out.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Don't press on it and cut into it... no matter how you you cook it.. tent it for 10 minutes before cutting
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

forman grill is faster

whats so inferior?

sdY4SDg.png

lol, i admitedly can't cook, but if there is one thing i can kind of do well its grill a steak.

i worked as a cook at ponderosa a few summers. obviously the venue wont will me any points lol, but it was still technically formal training
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

This post made me sad.

its seriously not going to change the flavor

You, good sir, have no knowledge of what you speak.

If you prefer your steak dry and bland then by all means cut that sucker up into a million pieces and throw it in a pan. Shouldn't affect the flavor, right? Please turn in your man card on your way out.

right because choping something into little pieces is the exact same effect as making a tiny incision. obviously pressing on it will remove a lot of fat, and its probably more likely to lose some from a small cut but the pressing is much worse. idk, i'm used to cooking 20 of them at a time. cutting into one to make sure it was done right was a good idea.

can't say that i've been that disapointed by cutting into a steak, but over doing one can make you a little bummed
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    While we are on the subject you should also:

o let steak come to room temp before cooking

o only season with kosher/sea salt and fresh ground pepper.This is what creates your "crust"

o don't poke or prod it with anything. You can check doneness by pushing against the meat with your finger.