why overnight weight gain... very fustrated

Options
Ok.... Ive kicked up the cardio, bought a heart monitore, eat every two hours... (should do more weights).. but I'll lose one two pounds and wake up weighing one more.... I have 18 more to go to reach goal and its not budging! an hour on the bike burning almost 600 cal and then I do turbo jam w/ wieghts only 20 min kick boxing .. heart monitor tells me 190 cal burned... I should do more weights.. but why isnt it budging and why is it always one lbs more on days.. Ive read so many post that my head is spinning... eat more, dont eat more, eat some exercise cal... dont eat exercise cal.. I cant exercise anymore then I can at this point without passing out... i change it everyday and push myself... so please someone tell me what im doing wrong

Replies

• newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    are you weighting your self everyday? your weight can flucuated daily mine flucuates up to 3 lbs during the week.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Bump. I just posted this very same story in my status update. I need some advice as well. :huh:
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Do. not. weigh. yourself. every. day.

Your weight fluctuates SO much from So many variables. You will be much better off (and more sane haha) weighing in once a week at the same time, after the same routine. I get up Friday mornings, pee, take off my clothes, weigh myself. That way I try to keep as small amount of variance that I possibly can.

After an intense workout, you retain water, you aren't LITERALLY gaining weight from exercising. It doesn't seem like you need to alter ANYTHING other than your weighing habits. Don't depend on that scale so heavily!! You will drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself everyday. I "gain" 4 pounds if I'm on my period - it's all hormones and bloating, it's nothing to be upset about.

Don't push yourself harder with the exercise if you think you can't, it sounds like you're doing amazing, if anything, make sure you have a rest day in there to let your muscles and body recover, and prevent injury, and make sure you are getting enough sleep :)

Just relax, weigh once a week! :) Don't stress over tweaking this workout, this one calorie, this one piece of food.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It's water gain. Sometimes it takes time for the sodium effect to kick in. Try keeping your sodium intake down.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need to change things up. Try eating a little more or giving yourself a break. I'm not sure what your daily calorie goal is, but you do need at least 1200 net calories every day or you could go into starvation mode. Some people, like me, need even more in order to lose weight. I've been losing 1-1.5 pounds a week and I eat about 1500 net calories a day. I work out 5 times a week burning 500-600 calories, but I always eat those exercise cals! And I only weigh myself twice a week. That way I'm more likely to see real results, not just daily fluctuations.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    do you track your sodium, i gain about 3 lbs just from chinesse, a day or two of water and back where i should be. so many factors, honestly i think everyone is different as for what works and doesn't work.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Ok.... Ive kicked up the cardio, bought a heart monitore, eat every two hours... (should do more weights).. but I'll lose one two pounds and wake up weighing one more.... I have 18 more to go to reach goal and its not budging! an hour on the bike burning almost 600 cal and then I do turbo jam w/ wieghts only 20 min kick boxing .. heart monitor tells me 190 cal burned... I should do more weights.. but why isnt it budging and why is it always one lbs more on days.. Ive read so many post that my head is spinning... eat more, dont eat more, eat some exercise cal... dont eat exercise cal.. I cant exercise anymore then I can at this point without passing out... i change it everyday and push myself... so please someone tell me what im doing wrong

When you work your muscles they swell and retain fluids. I would only weigh yourself once a week to get a more accurate number. As another poster said, your weight will fluctuate daily due to water retention, etc.
  • this is why i weigh myself only once a week because depending on how much sodium is in a meal i eat, i could weigh a few pounds more in the morning and there is nothing more frustrating than seeing a weigh increase of that much even though i know full well why it is happening...

so i save myself the disappointment and crushed self esteem and hide my scale until its time to weigh in
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just dont give up! I have currently lost 64 lbs, but have only lost 6 lbs in the last 3 months. BUT, I know I'm still losing inches as my pants are getting looser the last 3 months. Need not focus so much on the number on the scale but the fact that you are getting healthier working out and giving your body what it needs! I know that is not what you want to hear, but don't quit now! It will come off and slower is better anyway!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I weigh daily as well. There is nothing wrong with weighing every day as long as you know that there are going to be the fluctuations the others spoke of here. And yes, sodium is the biggest reason to see an UP in the morning. So watch that number carefully. I try to keep my sodium at 1000 mg at my doctor's advice. He said the 2000 "allowed" is much too high. As long as the "trend" is downward, try not to worry about the day to day as much. I know it's easier said than done. You're not alone!!! Have an awesome day!!
  • Roobean33
    Options
    This may sound ridiculous, but take a rest day. No exercise. You have been really pushing yourself and sometimes a rest day allows the body to repair and reset. I find that after my rest days (still eat well and stay below my calories slightly), I almost always see a decrease in weight the next day. Be sure to drink tons of water on rest days so you can dump that water your muscles are holding onto. Good luck! You are working really hard so I'm sure you'll see results soon!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to poo
  • noble1987
    Options
    maybe you need to poo

Straight to the point... he he he :laugh:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Here is good explanation of the muscle building process that occurs when lifting. The glycogen process also occurs in your legs and core when doing cardio and explains why you see temporary weight increases when you increase your exercise level. It is temporary!
    Agreed muscle growth is much slower than people think. However, in beginner strength trainers it does come quicker. I have been able to increase all of my lifts 5lbs every gym day up until just recently on a calorie deficit for net 0 weight gain.

This isn't muscle mass increase most likely. It's probably just the concept of % muscle recruitment. See most people use only a % of muscle fibers in each bundle (what we refer to as a muscle), when you weight train, you train the motor unit (the group of neurons and nerves that connect your brain to a specific muscle fiber bundle) to recruit a higher percentage of the fibers, allowing you to use more power in that muscle. For the first 4 to 8 weeks of a new strength routine, you usually won't gain any muscle mass, you increase muscle recruitment. You notice power gains first, very quickly, then you notice size increase, which also isn't muscle mass, it's increased glycogen at the muscle site to account for the higher levels of muscle fiber being recruited. Only when the muscle fiber recruitment is at or near 100% (usually about 95 to 98% is about as high as it will go) will you begin to increase muscle mass at a specific site.

Thus the reason why it takes so long to increase muscle mass. (It's kinda depressing if you ask me).
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but you have to be prepared for counter-intuitive results some of the time. Some days when I do great, I gain. Some days when I blow it, I lose. But, the bigger picture is what you are after. I do take some satisfaction in the daily weigh-in (when good).

You might also be replacing fat with muscle. Sometimes the numbers on the scale aren't indicative of what is happening with your body. It can be a mistake to fixate too much on numbers because you might be achieving gains that you are failing to recognize. I would take some body measurements and track those, along with weight, for a few weeks. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Best of Luck!!!

--Carter
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Here is good explanation of the muscle building process that occurs when lifting. The glycogen process also occurs in your legs and core when doing cardio and explains why you see temporary weight increases when you increase your exercise level. It is temporary!
    Agreed muscle growth is much slower than people think. However, in beginner strength trainers it does come quicker. I have been able to increase all of my lifts 5lbs every gym day up until just recently on a calorie deficit for net 0 weight gain.

This isn't muscle mass increase most likely. It's probably just the concept of % muscle recruitment. See most people use only a % of muscle fibers in each bundle (what we refer to as a muscle), when you weight train, you train the motor unit (the group of neurons and nerves that connect your brain to a specific muscle fiber bundle) to recruit a higher percentage of the fibers, allowing you to use more power in that muscle. For the first 4 to 8 weeks of a new strength routine, you usually won't gain any muscle mass, you increase muscle recruitment. You notice power gains first, very quickly, then you notice size increase, which also isn't muscle mass, it's increased glycogen at the muscle site to account for the higher levels of muscle fiber being recruited. Only when the muscle fiber recruitment is at or near 100% (usually about 95 to 98% is about as high as it will go) will you begin to increase muscle mass at a specific site.

Thus the reason why it takes so long to increase muscle mass. (It's kinda depressing if you ask me).

ack!!! OOC(Out Of Context)!!!

I wrote this to explain long term muscle mass growth with regards to strength training (failure training), not for cardio and day over day work.

for day over day weight fluctuation, the most common reasons are food consumption, waste buildup, and water weight. while it's true that working muscles can swell with extra glycogen, she admits that she doesn't do much weight training, and cardio doesn't (besides immediately during the routine) really cause muscle volume increases (due to glycogen) as cardio is aerobic and that means your body is replacing the glycogen used while it's being used (it's why you can do cardio for an hour or more where as you can only lift weights until failure, because your body can't replace energy fast enough with weight training).

And to the OP, yes your weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds up, and 5 pounds down day over day. So while it's not inherently bad to weigh yourself every day. You should only do so if 1) you can handle the concept of almost never weighing the same form one day to the next and 2) you use the daily weights as part of a much larger sample set in order to find a (much more accurate) 2 week or better yet 1 month average of your weight (I.E. take your weight for 10 days, throw out the high, and the low numbers, add the other 8 weights, divide by 8 and you have your "REAL" weight, or as close as you'll get).
  • kathyrpa
    Options
    thankyou all for the replies... I still get confused by some but It brings my attention to everything again.... someone told me to increase and make myself be more "into" weights like I am the cardio and I will see faster results... i'll make it a point to do wieghts 8-15 lbs depending on what Im doing.. thanks again