Is this true? (Women + Exercising + Carbs)

Options
http://www.fitsugar.com/Hormones-Released-After-Working-Out-19252431

In the above article it says the following:

"Estrogen determines whether carbs or fat fuel the body during an intense exercise session. Women tend to burn fat for fuel, while men tend to burn carbs, because women have higher estrogen levels."

Is this true? I genuinely don't know, but found it interesting.

Replies

• ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Hormones-Released-After-Working-Out-19252431

In the above article it says the following:

"Estrogen determines whether carbs or fat fuel the body during an intense exercise session. Women tend to burn fat for fuel, while men tend to burn carbs, because women have higher estrogen levels."

Is this true? I genuinely don't know, but found it interesting.

I am also curious. This isn't the first time I've seen this. In Rachel Cosgroves book "The Female Body Breakthrough", there is a section about female hormone cycles relating to exercise and it claims that there is variation in different phases i.e. before ovulation and after ovulation. Before ovulation estrogen is more dominant, and after progesterone is more dominant. Given there are other changes possibly related to metabolism (a woman's basal body temperature rises for the weeks after ovulation until her period starts, a big part of metabolism is regulating body temperature). I am not sure how much of a difference it makes though.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    it could be true... but its probably a situation where theres such a marginal difference there really isn't much point in mentioning it from a weight loss perspective.

Plus it doesn't really matter that much which source your burn during a work out, what really matter is the total number of calories burned. You burn more fat walking because your cells have available oxygen to do so, but you burn more calories altogether running. this will help you create a bigger calorie defecit and ultimately metabolize more body fat.