Recommended step monitor for teen

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
My son (16) has debilitating migraines. His neurologist says he should get 60 minutes aerobic exercise 3 times a week. He is trying for 7 days/week when he is up and about, figuring that way he'll always make the 3 days. He is otherwise healthy and slim (6'1" and 142 lbs).

When school starts in a week, he'll be walking or biking 1.5 miles each way to school plus running up and down stairs plus gym class. He wants to 'count' all of that and just go for 10,000 steps/day.

Anyone recommend a good pedometer for a teen? He has an ipod Touch it can sync to. My concern is (1) not easy to lose (2) bombproof (3) at least water resistant.

Having reminders/alarms would actually be very helpful to him both for waking and other reminders.

His dad and I both have fitbit zips. Love them, but both of us have lost them at least once in the last year. Are the fitbit bracelets less prone to being lost?

The Jawbone UP24s are nice looking (he would love one), but more expensive than the fitbit by $50.

He does walk in the rain, though doesn't swim.

Any thoughts? His birthday is coming up.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I have the zip too, and while I love it, it's a PITA to pull on and off clothes, and it's been "lost" more than once. I recommend a bracelet type for a teen. My BIL got a black Nike something-or-other (Fuelband?). They look masculine and are generally easier to keep track of.

Can he join the XC team or something, so it's sort of built into his schedule? It might be easier than trying to fit exercise in each week. 16 and migraines... I'm sorry to hear that :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The migraines are unbelievable (he had them 5 days/week ALL day and night since March). But very careful diet, exercise, and sleep are helping tremendously. I had no idea what a horrible thing they can be. He's going to try cross-country as well.

I think the band will work well too. I hadn't thought of the Nike one. One of the jawbones looks very masculine in black, but even the fitbit looks okay on the guys I've seen wear them. And we live in the least macho town in the country anyway.