Back problem from squatting?

Options
Im currently squatting 185lbs and ive noticed ever since i started squatti.g at 165lbs, theres this weird pressure on the left sidr of myback when i place the bar onto my traps. it feels like something on the leftside of my back is being pushed down, idk if its my spine or muscles or what. i always take time to make sure my form is proper but maybe after months that ive stopped working with my trainer ive forgotten what proper form is?? in allhonesty i dont workout my back very much, not sure if that is relevent. All i know now is that the day after i squat my midback on the left side kind of hurts if i turned it at certain angles. What could be wrong? and who should i see to get this fixed

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    in allhonesty i dont workout my back very much, not sure if that is relevent.

My first thought was weak back, then you confirmed it.

Work on your back, and bring those weights down a bit. Squatting hurts, but if you have an appropriately strong back you'll be able to maintain proper back position, preventing aches.

Too much weight on the bar, and too weak a back means it's going to round out, and that becomes unplesant.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Please be careful. Pain is bodys way of telling you something is wrong. If you are experiencing pain, this means there is something wrong. You might be lifting too much or your form is bad or you might have some other problems. This is the video I used to learn how to properly squat. He explains it well and I have never had any issue with my form as long as I remember this form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnV7vEi7Sz8
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Work on your back, and bring those weights down a bit. Squatting hurts, but if you have an appropriately strong back you'll be able to maintain proper back position, preventing aches.

Too much weight on the bar, and too weak a back means it's going to round out, and that becomes unplesant.

If it is due to a weak back, what exercises would you recommend that would help support my squats?

and if i need to stregebthen myback, how long should i wait before squatting heavy again?
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

If it is due to a weak back, what exercises would you recommend that would help support my squats?

and if i need to stregebthen myback, how long should i wait before squatting heavy again?

Deadlifts and barbell rows will do wonders for strengthening your back.

I recommend a good starter program like Stronglifts 5X5. It focuses on compound movements, like squats/deadlifts, and the gradual progression really helps.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Is the pain in your traps or does it extend down your back?

If it's traps: Overhead press, shrugs, lat pulldowns, face pulls.

If it's a generally week back/core: Good mornings, back extensions (on the apparatus thing that makes me feel like Ariel in the little mermaid), Bent over or cable rows.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    First I'd de-load, maybe drop to 135, 140? Whichever is comfortable, and move slowly up, if I had a day where suddenly my back hurts after, I'drop down by 10 pounds and work back up again.

Barbell rows, pendlay rows, db rows, deadlifts, if you can do it, pull ups.

BB.com has a great tool for choosing a muscle group and getting exercises for it. Let me find it.