What works best for you?

Options
So here I am begging for help once more.....

I'm 5'5", 196 lbs. I'm going on a NYC trip on October 3rd, and I would like to lose at least 16 lbs by then. Setting too high goals always flopped for me in the end.... I hope this one seems a bit more reasonable...

The problem is, I say I'm finally ready, I'm gonna start eating right and going to the gym more....

But then someone brings in a pizza or a cookie cake. Welp, there goes my plans.

ANd I know its okay to indulge once in awhile, but there's no such thing as "once in a while" in my book...... ANd it doesnt help that I don't have any close supporters other than MFP friends, but they can only type encouragements on my front page, not be there physically to say, "Dont you dare eat that!" or go to the gym with me....

So what works for people? How do you just say "no" to the junk?

I know your supposed to find your own thing, but I've tried many things and nothing has worked for me.... I'm really sick of being in the 190 range. I'm ready to shed these pounds NOW!

Replies

• LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Can you get out of there when someone brings in pizza? Say "no thanks" and rather than sitting there watching everyone eat it, take a walk or go get your own yummy (healthy) snack?

I like to reward myself with shopping when I do well with something I'm working on. Like promise yourself if you go 3 times without eating pizza, you'll buy yourself a new exercise top, and then do that a few times and eventually it'll become a habit to skip the pizza.

Just suggestions, good luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Budget and plan for such things. If someone brings pizza and you just ate, be like "oh, I'll save a slice for later" and enjoy it when it fits your calories.

Something that "works best for me" is simply not eating after a certain time. My reason is that I am a glutton after 9pm. A friend comes over and we binge watch shows several times a week, for hours, sometimes 5 hours! And I eat the entire time... chips, sunflower seeds, fruits, candies, popcorn, etc. I have a real hard time just sticking to one small thing.

So, for me, simply saying NO after 9pm works well for me... need to continue with that. ><
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I work it into my calorie goal. Someone brings a pizza? Figure out how many calories are in a slice and see how many calories you have available to indulge. I can usually fit in 2-3 slices of pizza, depending on the parlor and toppings, and still have a perfectly normal day. Same with cake. Let's face it, birthday parties and get-togethers happen. I want to have birthday cake just like everyone else. So I prelog a slice (or 2, depending on how large the slice is cut), and then fill the rest of my diary with the other birthday goodies.

It's all about planning for these things ahead of time if you know they're going to happen. I usually pre-log my day in the morning and fill in the gaps with the yummy goodies and treats. Also, it's fine to go over once in a while. In the long run, 1 day is not going to ruin months worth of progress. As long as you go right back to what you were doing after the event/meal, you're fine.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Planning!

I live in Chicago---On MOnday- a surprise (no planning ahead here) the office got deep dish pizza for lunch.
    1 slice = 500 calories. That may be a lot, but it CAN fit.
    I was fine until dinner, had less of a snack (s), and a lighter dinner.

It fits if you want it to fit.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Rework your day a bit to make it fit. I'm southern and manage to fit a 2 piece dark with slaw and deep fried apple sticks into my days. I just cut back on the snacks and do grilled fish or boneless skinless chicken for dinner, I probably won't be hungry again until well after 9 on those days anyways.
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not an expert and I think the tips here are great - I'll just add my two cents. One, I try to think of things on a weekly basis. So I try to leave an extra 500 calories out early in the week (m-w) for unexpected things like microbrew beer, cheese plates, ice cream, etc. Two, if someone brings food or if I know there is going to be food, I have learned in the past few weeks that I do so much better not having very much if I'm not hungry. So I try to eat something more healthy and filling if possible, drink a ton of water, etc, and then indulge a little. Yesterday I was very hungry, took 4 boys to the grocery store and then dairy queen. At the grocery store I bought cheese sticks and promptly ate 2 in the car. I was still hungry when we first got to DQ but managed to not order anything, by the time the kids got their ice cream I was happy with one bite from each of my two kids. Three - I think sometimes it is not the one thing that gets us but the "well that didn't work so I won't worry about it today" attitude. I saw a quote that I love - broken-phone by MommaKat77 on Flickr : " Saying Oh, I've already ruined my good eating today I'll just eat like ** is like saying Oh I dropped my phone on the floor I'll just smash it until it breaks".
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You have to allocated a budget for calories and stick to it but give yourself some flexibility with eating. Stop demonizing food as junk. Food is not the problem. The problem is eating too much food.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I take pics of myself, and if I really am having a hard time I look at the horrible truth! Also it's nice motivation to see improvement! It gets easier as you wean yourself away from these foods, and heck have a slice of pizza here and there with your salad! Moderation is key!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    How you talk to yourself can impact your decision ... If you say "I don't eat that" rather than "I can't eat that", you have a far greater chance of success. These are interesting:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/heidigranthalvorson/2013/03/14/the-amazing-power-of-i-dont-vs-i-cant/
    http://lifehacker.com/use-i-dont-phrases-over-i-cant-to-resist-temptation-1572265596
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the difficulty in saying no. As long as nothing tempts me by popping up right in front of my face, I do okay. I never eat out for lunch at work, I always pack my lunch from home. When buying groceries, I don't buy junk food, I simply never keep it in the house period. My weak spot is at work, when after a work meeting there are muffins and bagels galore left over (especially the chocolate-chocolate chip ones OMG) my self control goes out the window. It took me a long time to figure it out, but I finally realized where my impulses were coming from: I grew up in a very poor family, so food (especially sweets) was a rare thing, and to have more than enough was even a luxury you might say. So when I see extra left overs, something in my brain would trigger this feeling of "I have to get some before it's gone!" Understanding that was the key to managing my indulgence issues. I'm not saying that is your problem by any means, but what I am trying to say is that there is most likely some underlying emotional/psychological trigger that you aren't aware of (or maybe are, but won't admit to yourself - we do that a lot) and discovering what that is may help you.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You have to allocated a budget for calories and stick to it but give yourself some flexibility with eating. Stop demonizing food as junk. Food is not the problem. The problem is eating too much food.

Also this! The moment you say you absolutely cannot eat any of that - you have just made it 100x harder for yourself to not give in. Allow a little indulgence for sanity and happiness :) Then, don't guilt yourself about it, congratulate yourself for your self control!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I also have a difficult time turning down "treats" and "bad" foods...so what I do, quite honestly, is eat them. And then I work my tail off to still stay within my calorie goal, mainly through my other meals for the day being super small & healthy, and sometimes also with exercise.

I do eat a lot of good nutritious food but I rarely turn down a cookie or pizza or whatever. Fortunately I am not tempted daily.

Sometimes though I do turn down things if they just don't appeal to me...or another example, someone brings in a box of donuts but I know I'm having my husband's homemade pizza for dinner that day...the donuts are NOT worth skipping my 3 slices of his amazing thin crust veggie-ricotta pizza so it's easier to say no. On a day when dinner is going to be a salad with crab meat and sliced raw veggies on top, I can have the donut anyway.