Do you guys use any good dieting apps?

Options
Book and stuff are great but it hard to know what to eat when Im at work or out with friends. It would be nice to have some sort of app that could help me make healthy choices. What are the best dieting apps are there and can they also track fitness that would be great

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    MFP's app works pretty well for me
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Only gripe I have w/ MFP is that you need to have a data plan to access the database w// the mobile app. Luckily I frequent places w/ free Wifi and can search from my phone. Otherwise the only choices you have from the phone when not connected to internet are what you've done from the phone for the past few days.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    MFP's app works pretty well for me

Uhhhhhhhhhhh this. If you cook at home enter the recipe or items into your diary then make enough for leftovers for lunch at work. The barcode scanner on the MFP phone app works great for pre-packaged food. Most large chain restaurants have online menus with nutritional information so check out those before you go eat. MFP website and app have it all..... not sure what else you're looking for
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Uhhh.. yeah, I use MFP.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal: Yes, the app for this site. I use it the most. I track my food directly in the app.
    RunKeeper: I track my exercise using Runkeeper and have it synced to MyFitnessPal so that it counts my exercise
    Everymove: I have it synced with RunKeeper so that Runkeeper sends my exercises to everymove. I earn points for working out. Those points are redeemable for discounts and charities. So far I have earned: 1 year prime membership to runkeeper, $5 donated to Make a Wish foundation, $1 donated to a cancer research center, and $50 off a $150 purchase at BlueNile (never used that last one. wasn't good for sale items (booo).
    DietBet: You pay money to try to lose 4% of your body weight in a month. Great for competitive people who are good at dropping weight. Bad for sustainable weight loss (unless you pick the 10% in 6 months thing).

Things I have tried and didn't like:
    Lose It: Like MFP, but with a smaller database
    Digifit: Wanted to use with elliptical, but it seems to only pair with a HRM for distance work (cycle, run, walk).
    Fitocracy: Great concept, clunky interface. go on missions to work out! They're called quests or something. Couldn't figure out how to see my past activities easily, or goals I'd made. Kept getting distracting notifications of people I didn't know cheering me on (who I did not add).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    MFP obviously - I also am on Habit RPG which can help you make or break any habit (you set your own or use the preset ones) and RunKeeper to track my activity.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    fooducate. iphone and android . my friend used it and lost over 200 pounds… free.
  • Minifig81
    Minifig81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MFP, Runtastic Pro and Biketastic Pro because they sync with my Pebble watch are my only apps. I've also started to think about using Zombies Run, https://www.zombiesrungame.com/, it's apparently really good.
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use MFP for diet/food logging, etc. I don't like that you can't access the message boards or groups from the app, but whatever... it's still the only app I use multiple times daily (every time I eat). Another app I use pretty frequently is my fitbit app... but I have a fitbit connected, so I often look at my steps. It helps me to stay motivated to walk more :)

I also use workout apps. I use the 200 push up/sit up/squat/etc challenge apps (that are free) are good for me. I also have stretching apps that help me with flexibility.

I am planning on getting a 5K/10K training app, but I want a free one with the timers for the run/walk intervals, and haven't found one yet... if anyone knows of one, please share :)
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am planning on getting a 5K/10K training app, but I want a free one with the timers for the run/walk intervals, and haven't found one yet... if anyone knows of one, please share :)

I'm using Couch to 5K for this. It only cost me $1.00 and it's completely worth it.
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I'm using Couch to 5K for this. It only cost me $1.00 and it's completely worth it.

Only $1??? Not bad :) It has the interval timers? I'll look into it :) THANKS SO MUCH!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MFP obviously - I also am on Habit RPG which can help you make or break any habit (you set your own or use the preset ones) and RunKeeper to track my activity.

Neat--I am going to check out the Habit one.

I also use Runkeeper, as well as MapMyRide/MapMyFitness and, of course, MFP. May also try Strava soon.