ideas on how to save money on groceries

Options
2»

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have Target in Canada (I'd assume you do) but a lot of times target has things on clearance. It's on the end caps of the aisles (not the main walkways but the back aisles) and a lot of times I can find good deals on things and stock up. In all fairness most of these things are going to be somewhat processed but you can find spices and nuts and things sometimes.

We also recently started buying frozen chicken breasts, fish filets, and shrimp. It's very expensive to do this but if you can find the right place it's way cheaper than buying fresh and actually tastes better. Trader Joe's (again not sure if you have TJ's in Canada) is really cheap for fish and shrimp and it's immediately flash frozen so it tastes super fresh and delicious. Safeway here is where I've found the best deal on frozen chicken breasts.

Also -- Buy in bulk as others have said. Especially if the bulk stuff is on sale. I go to Costco all the time and pay attention to their coupons/sales. Definitely good deals to be found.
    If you're not sure about TJ's being in Canada, why not look it up first? You just gave OP info re: a store we don't have in Canada.

First of all -- I'm giving my personal experience. If it doesn't apply then skim over it. Second of all -- it was an afterthought of my actual advice which was to look at buying frozen fish. Third of all -- The OP may be the one who asked the question but there are plenty of people from the US who will be reading this thread and looking for the same information. So for those people TJ's is a good option.

Now if you could promptly remove yourself from your high horse and return back to the ground with us regular fat folk it would be much appreciated.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have Target in Canada (I'd assume you do) but a lot of times target has things on clearance. It's on the end caps of the aisles (not the main walkways but the back aisles) and a lot of times I can find good deals on things and stock up. In all fairness most of these things are going to be somewhat processed but you can find spices and nuts and things sometimes.

We also recently started buying frozen chicken breasts, fish filets, and shrimp. It's very expensive to do this but if you can find the right place it's way cheaper than buying fresh and actually tastes better. Trader Joe's (again not sure if you have TJ's in Canada) is really cheap for fish and shrimp and it's immediately flash frozen so it tastes super fresh and delicious. Safeway here is where I've found the best deal on frozen chicken breasts.

Also -- Buy in bulk as others have said. Especially if the bulk stuff is on sale. I go to Costco all the time and pay attention to their coupons/sales. Definitely good deals to be found.
    If you're not sure about TJ's being in Canada, why not look it up first? You just gave OP info re: a store we don't have in Canada. Target doesn't sell anything but snack foods in Canada. Target sucks and should promptly close shop and get out. OP, food here in Canada is more expensive because of shipping produce from afar, our meat/dairy are of higher quality...means more $/lb. Shop farmer's markets, bulk dry good stores and stock up when you see sales. Freeze portions of extra meat, go veg some nights and batch cook. Make lists and stick to them!

yikes.....well but now other people have the information about TJs too....just because the OP started the thread doesn't mean it won't help other people as well. :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lots of dried beans, meats in bulk, cheaper cuts cooked in a crock pot. Frozen bag veggies - you don't need to only buy fresh.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i buy meat and then get fruits and veggies at the local farmers market i save huge going to the market. what jacks our bill up is the crap that my husband eats... if it was just me i swear every 2 weeks my grocery bill would only be like $75-$100 instead of $200, its the "boxed" and "frozen" stuff that gets ya when it comes to price in my opinion!
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I certainly know what you are experiencing because we re experiencing the same here in the USA. I am spending more and more on food each week. And this seems to be especially true if you buy healthy foods. We keep being told our economy is getting better. I don't feel it. The only thing I do now, is go once weekly. I do not go back. Even if I need something. The more I go the more I spend. Maybe this will help you too. :sad:
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I certainly know what you are experiencing because we re experiencing the same here in the USA. I am spending more and more on food each week. And this seems to be especially true if you buy healthy foods. We keep being told our economy is getting better. I don't feel it. The only thing I do now, is go once weekly. I do not go back. Even if I need something. The more I go the more I spend. Maybe this will help you too. :sad:

It is definitely getting more and more expensive. I live in Seattle and our cost of living is insane. Even the farmers markets around here can be really pricey which is frustrating. Everyone says to go to farmers markets but I think since farmers markets have gotten popular and become semi-trendy the prices have jumped a lot and you still have to be careful about quality.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Get the app "Flipp" and price match as much as you can. It's honestly the way to go.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me:

1. Make a list before you go
    2. Estimate the costs of the items
    3. Take cash, enough for the items.
    4. Stick to the list (#3 makes that a lot easier)
    5. Stop buying convenience foods - mixes, pouches, pre-cooked, etc.

Making a list and taking only enough cash to pay for what's on the list has saved me so much money. It stops impulse purchases, and those impulse purchases really add up.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You could grow some of your own vegetables. We have a vegetable garden and get a decent amount of peppers, broccoli, tomatoes and tons of green beans out of it.

As for meat, you can sometimes go to a butcher and buy half a beef and store it in the freezer. It costs more up front but saves A LOT in the long run. Or start fishing or hunting(I personally cant eat fish and wouldnt want to hunt but some do)

I noticed this in europe, look at the price per liter/weight. I buy the one that has the lower cost per volume(9.0 cent/100 ml or something like that VS 1 liter for 9 dollars - random numbers dont know if my math adds up lol)

Also, i found while in the UK that making homemade bread is cheaper than buying the cheap loaf. Now I ended up running out of time to do this most of the time but it might work for you