Kale???

Options
2»

Replies

• ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I like to make kale chips also. I also cook lentils down in some chicken stock and red pepper flake and add the kale. I also like them sauteed. I add them to my eggs in the morning sometimes if the farmers market doesn't have any good spinach.

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/recipes/meet-the-veggies-kale-learn-my-trick-for-sauteeing-without-drowning-your-kale-in-oil/
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    go easy on the Kale if you have any thyroid issues....
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    Put it in juices.

Sautee it with olive oil and garlic.

Eat it in salads.

Kale chips are awesome too.
  • freeofweight
    Options
    I make a salad with Kale every day for lunch. I just use it in place of lettuce or whatever. :)
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I love Kale. If you have Pinterest you can find a ton of great recipes there. Kale chips are great, I use it for salads, sautee it, put it in soup. There is really a lot you can do with it. Enjoy!
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have measurements but this is the way I like to eat it Mediterranean style. Cut out the stems and chop it up. Sautee minced garlic in olive oil. Add Kale and diced tomato and some chicken broth and cook on medium until tender. Add more chicken broth if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then I like to squeeze fresh lemon all over it.
  • AztecKermit
    AztecKermit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I put Kale in smoothies a lot as well as in soups.
    Because it often takes me longer to work through it than it stays fresh I chop some of mine up and bag it up in the freezer.
    I add it to vegetable stir fry and have it thinly sliced in salads.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Cut out the heavy spines out of the leaves. Wash well. Stir fry in olive oil and garlic. Serve with balsamic vinegar.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If you love spicy, I just made this recipe last week and it was fab. I omitted all but 1 teaspoon of EVOO and the whole thing was ~350 cal. You could easily omit the corn as well.

http://greenbeandelivery.com/healthytimes/recipes/sauteed-kale-corn-hot-sauce/

Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet. Add garlic and sauté for a minute or so. Add corn and continue to sauté until corn starts to brown in spots, 2 minutes. Add kale* and a pinch of salt and pepper, continue to sauté for an additional minute, then add the apple cider vinegar. When the kale has turned bright green and begun to wilt, remove from heat. Add a few dashes of hot sauce or sriracha (if using). Toss gently and serve.

Serves 4

*Try substituting other leafy greens like collards or chard.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
    1 ear of corn, kernels removed
    1 bunch kale, washed, dried, and chopped into bite-sized pieces
    Salt and pepper
    1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    Hot sauce or sriracha (optional)

This I need to try! We live in a farm area (hence the gift of kale) and corn is plentiful now. I love how vinegar tastes "salty" when it's not. Low sodium guy here.
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Concur with the Kale chips!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I just bought some for smoothies. I'll have to try some of these other ideas. Especially liking the mediterranean idea, and possibly the chips. I've had commercially produced Kale chips someone offered me one time, and I couldn't take it. Will home made be a different story?