Exercise DVDs for morbidly obese

Options
My name is Epiphany (username is Hakuoki) and I'm just getting back into exercising and losing weight. As of now, I weigh 327lbs and it's just difficult to exercise. I'm just trying to move for a period of time, nothing too strenuous because I could injure myself.

If anyone knows of any exercise dvds that are pretty easy, please let me know. I like exercise dvd's since it's a set time period and then it's done. I don't have to worry about how long or how fast I did it because it's all in the dvd.

Replies

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    This seems to have a lot of good ideas, and I like that it shows you little previews to see if it's something you think you'd be able to handle and more importantly enjoy. Good luck!

http://getthinforgood.hubpages.com/hub/exercise-for-the-obese
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    try the Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone videos on YouTube... free and can start with the 1 mile and work your way up

good luck! :)
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    try the Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone videos on YouTube... free and can start with the 1 mile and work your way up

good luck! :)

I came here to recommend these. Great low impact vids!
  • moonstar1972
    Options
    Leslie Sansones are the best......any of them!!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. then moved up to an elliptical. I just went at my own pace, and when I felt I could go harder/faster, I did.

best of luck!
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone videos, they are great. I used them when I first started on here and I feel like they helped me a lot!
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Start by cutting cals to lose weight, and walking. Worry about exercise videos when you are physically able to do them.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just got my mom a video for Seniors on Amazon. I think it might be a good place to start if you have been inactive. We did it together for the first time today and it was a nice, steady pace.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YN35M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also found this video online. It is pushing a bit if you haven't been active, but you could easily adapt it to suit your fitness level.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Workout-at-Work-32-Minute-Chair-Workout-Video/a8/

Best wishes!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Leslie S's Walk Away the Pounds dvds are great! You can stay in your PJs and walk in your house in front of your tv. I did this when I first starting loosing weight and walked 1-2 miles every morning before work and then would do another 1-2 miles after work. In fact a group of us at work used to do the 1 mile walk in 30 minutes on our lunch break too! I have bad knees so walking was great starting off. I now do more gym workouts after loosing all the weight and mainly focus on the elliptical machine and lifting weights. I haven't been going to the gym like I used and need to get back to it!
    Good luck!
    Any exercise is better than nothing. Just walking 30 minutes a day will help. Also when you go somewhere to shop, park out aways so you have to make a walk into the store that helps too. Take the steps instead of elevator or escalator too!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention you can view Leslie S's walking videos on YouTube for free. Also You Tube has exercises you can do while sitting in a chair also.
  • caitipa
    caitipa Posts: 11
    Options
    Just don't let her laugh get to you! ;)
  • JennyJiggle
    JennyJiggle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Most people already said it but Leslie Sansone is just great for beginners - there are a few different ones to choose from on YouTube so you don't get bored with the same thing over and over :)

That's where I started at over 350lbs and I enjoyed it, the moves are simple and its easy to keep track off even if you turn her way down and listen to music instead.

Best of luck!!
  • Hakuoki
    Hakuoki Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do you turn Leslie Sansone down but not the music? I think my mom and/or my brother has one of her dvds that I can use, but I could never figure out how to turn her down. >_>; I love the music in her DVDs. :)
  • KrazyKristine7
    Options
    There are tons of DVDs by Ellen Barrett. She is soooo awesome. The moves are easy but will have you sweating your butt off. You dont need weights or anything. Heck you dont even need shoes! It's a combo of pilates, yoga and ballet. I've tried them because they are free right now OnDemand. Try the Power Fusion, Grace & Gusto and there are many others. Just Google it and you will find them.
  • mariepmartinez28
    Options
    The walk a mile at home video on YouTube is what got me started!
  • mariepmartinez28
    Options
    Also as funny as it sounds I looked up Richard Simmons on YouTube and have done it a few times. It's a great workout if you like to dance. I don't even realize how much time has gone by because I'm having fun!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My name is Epiphany (username is Hakuoki) and I'm just getting back into exercising and losing weight. As of now, I weigh 327lbs and it's just difficult to exercise. I'm just trying to move for a period of time, nothing too strenuous because I could injure myself.

If anyone knows of any exercise dvds that are pretty easy, please let me know. I like exercise dvd's since it's a set time period and then it's done. I don't have to worry about how long or how fast I did it because it's all in the dvd.

Walk at Home, Just Walk, or (older) VHS Walk Away the Pounds. These are great because they are low impact and no choreography. Without choreography you can always go at your own pace. Speed up, walk longer, add arms....whenever you are ready. Your local library should have some. Netflix by mail has lots. Newer ones at Target, Best Buy, etc. Newer DVDs are chaptered....you can do more or less. Newer DVDs have more audible music, and some have music only options. Walk It Off in 30 Days has both walking & strength training...good for switching it up.

Video clips & reviews here: http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/leslie-sansone

A few titles of other workouts to look up........Just My Size Yoga....or ........Just My Size Pilates, Mega Yoga, Heavyweight Yoga....yoga gets you started. You become more aware (in tune) with your body. Plus it's relaxing. Switch off between workout styles. Find what you really like to do.

Sit to Be Fit.....Chair dancing. These come in strength straining & yoga too.

Another low impact....beginner-ish set is Power Fit.....it comes in a 2 or 5 or 10 workout kit. The workouts are 20 minutes each. The beauty of these....you can build. Add 2 workouts together.....use a heavier band for more intensity. Look for a Kit that has some bands included. Video clips & reviews........ https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/PowerFit-Harmony-10-DVD-set-with-band-Stephanie-p/1003.htm
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I started out with many older VHS Walk Away the Pounds tapes
    and 4 yrs later, it's one of my indoor go-to exercises.