Yoga - Thoughts, Comments?

mem50
mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been thinking of starting. Any ideas as to the better one to use. I have heard of so many different styles. I have my DVR set to record one called Namaste. I want to get a little more flexible and build up some strength. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• I love yoga, just for the relaxation aspect of it. I am finding I'm becoming more flexible, which is a plus as well. Give it a try!
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    If you're looking for something more dynamic - Ashtanga and Power yoga are the fastest and most cardio intesnsive. For something in between, Yoga flow or Vinyasa Yoga. And for something more relaxing and stretch based, Hatha or Yin style yoga. I live and breathe yoga, if you have any more questions feel free to message me :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Namaste is kind of a mid range intensity Vinyasa flow yoga. It's pretty good. It's recorded with voice overs going from various scenes in the same pose and can get distracting for some. Others love that style of videography. Just depends on what you like personally.

You've already gotten some great info on the types. My recommendation is to just base the type you pick on what you want to get out of it.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    I love yoga - I usually go to a class called Body flow which incorporates some Tai Chi with yoga and is choreographed. I hadn't done it in 2 weeks and have been on the elliptical a lot and boy were my hamstrings stiff. I am so glad I went. It is really good for balance, flexibility, relaxation etc.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Thanks, appreciate the input. I was thinking more for balance, flexibility, and relaxation.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    Try going here for the different types of Hathaway yoga (all physical yoga is Hatha yoga)
    http://www.yogasite.com/yogastyles.html
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    yoga is great! once you get into it you get so flexible and really start to take your poses a bit further. it also brings balance and peace to your life
This discussion has been closed.