What R Maintenance?

Options
Im starting to think maintenance is just a philosophical ideal that neither exists or doesn't exist. Its like electron valances in physics... Lol its both there and not there.

Is maintenance a number on gravitational measure device or is it physical measurements or is a certain hypothetical calorie/ macro amount. Because every time I think im at maintenance, I get leaner, so up my calories and I get leaner again. And for the most part my weight remains the same.

Ive been well over 2000 calories now for over a year (im currently on 2380 - 2500), and I try to make sure im not in a deficit, on days i do big days of expenditure (like mountain climbing) I add 50% of my calories onto my normal work day calories...

Why do I care that im getting leaner... not a bad thing really, shows my metabolism is in good shape and that my hormones are functioning as they are supposed to. But.... As far as I know... until i find maintenance so I can then add a surplus, I wont be making much gains... very rarely can you make a lot of gains in a deficit... And considering I just recovered from a stress related hormone condition (a year ago), Im not willing to jump the calories in excessive amounts and just wing it.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    And for the most part my weight remains the same.
    You have answered your question - that's maintenance.
    But.... As far as I know... until i find maintenance
    You are in maintenance - doesn't mean your body won't change or respond to the stimulus you are giving it through exercise - why would it?
    so I can then add a surplus, I wont be making much gains...
    But you have already stated you are getting leaner.
    very rarely can you make a lot of gains in a deficit...
    What do you mean "lot of gains"?
    You aren't in deficit.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I agree this is very confusing. If you're weight is remaining the same you are in maintenance. If you keep getting "leaner" while you're weight is remaining the same… then you probably are making gains with muscle. So… what's the problem here?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Until this summer, my weight had remained the same over a year, but my inches dropped dramatically. More muscle, less fat. Less volume. Maintenance in weight. Not in inches.

Several years ago, someone published a great picture of her at three different times at the same weight. She was MUCH thinner in one than the others. She was in better shape.

I have lost 3-6 pounds this summer without trying at all (should I measure from the top or bottom of my weight swings?). I look a lot thinner than that tiny weight gain should indicate. But I'd still say I'm maintaining, because I haven't really changed anything.

Maintenance is a state of flux. Nothing is so stable as change.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    And for the most part my weight remains the same.
    You have answered your question - that's maintenance.
    But.... As far as I know... until i find maintenance
    You are in maintenance - doesn't mean your body won't change or respond to the stimulus you are giving it through exercise - why would it?
    so I can then add a surplus, I wont be making much gains...
    But you have already stated you are getting leaner.
    very rarely can you make a lot of gains in a deficit...
    What do you mean "lot of gains"?
    You aren't in deficit.

So is this recomp?
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree this is very confusing. If you're weight is remaining the same you are in maintenance. If you keep getting "leaner" while you're weight is remaining the same… then you probably are making gains with muscle. So… what's the problem here?

Because when people say things like.... fat loss is only achieved by a deficit. Muscle cant be gained in a deficit. A deficit is the opposite to what I want. It can get confusing. As to what signs you should be paying attention to to know what your achieving.