Mindless eating

Options
What are your best tips to avoid mindless eating? I do okay eating until about 3:00 in the afternoon, then I start grazing and before I realize it I have consumed an unreasonable amount of calories.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The same tip I always give. :)

Do what you want. If you want to eat a bunch of food, do that and enjoy it.

If you don't want to eat the food, don't. And enjoy that.

Figure out what will make you happy and then do that. And be happy. :)
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I find I’m able to stay in tune with what’s going into my mouth when I’m not staring at the TV or reading on the computer. There have been many times I’ve looked down and realized I’ve eaten more than I probably would have if I was listening to my body, not doing or thinking about something else :happy:
  • The_Hungry_Atheist
    Options
    Knowing I will have to exercise depending how much over I am is a great deterrent for me. Also I package everything in sigle serving snack bags so when I do grab a munchie it isn't overkill. I find when I eat from the bag or container I always think...oh a few more....and that turns into a lot more.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. Your only eating 50g a day, that isnt enough. Plus protein helps satiate... And your also on quite low calories.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Tip 1: Don't eat from the bag or container. Pour or select a reasonable amount and eat slow.

Tip 2: Don't hang out near the kitchen

Tip 3: Chew gum if you have the munchies,
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What are your best tips to avoid mindless eating? I do okay eating until about 3:00 in the afternoon, then I start grazing and before I realize it I have consumed an unreasonable amount of calories.

What triggers it? What I mean is.....my habit was to graze when I got home from work. Too many options available there. I started bringing and extra snack to work. I could eat that on my way home. When I got home....I already had my snack.

Another trigger for me was TV.....now I keep a large glass of ice water....and something (anything) to do with my hands. Crochet, solitaire, whatever. Just a little distraction and I don't think about food.

Be prepared. Keep a bag of cut veggies in the fridge. Keep a ziplock baggie of air popped popcorn near by. At least your snacks will be lower calorie. We're not at hot tea / hot chocolate season yet. I like chai with a little milk and sugar. Hot tea takes awhile to drink.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The only way I can avoid the mindless bad snacking is to just not buy easy to snack on tempting items.
    No more chips, baked sweets, etc.
    What I do have available as snacks are carrots, celery sticks, fruit (usually an apple or orange). I'll grab a jerky stick if I want some protein.