This is hopeless

I know this is a topic that has been said many times, but I can't stop gaining weight. 3 years ago I was 5 foot 9, never exercised, and weighed 206lbs. I started working out 3-4 times a week, eating less, and eating healthier and dropped down to about 155 where I remained until about 8 months ago. Since then I still maintain a good diet, don't overeat, and still go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but during the last six months my weight has jumped from 155 to 175 and climbing.

I got blood work done and my thyroid is fine, i'm not diabetic, lipid panels were fine, everything is normal. I've tried eating more calories, eating medium amounts, extreme calorie defecit, next to no carbs, no gluten, no eating out....no luck. with my fitbit i spent about 3 weeks walking 10,000-15,000 steps a day, lifting weights 4 times a week, and maintained a caloric intake of 1200-1300 and did not lose an ounce. For the last couple weeks i've been between 1100 and 1300 calories per day and i've gained weight. I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough calories, but if I increase them I gain weight even faster...

Does anyone know what the problem might be? It seems like it doesn't make a difference if i eat whatever i want and sit on the couch or cut calories and exercise daily

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    There are only three possibilities.

Either

1. you are overestimating the number of calories you burn

or

2. you are underestimating the number of calories you eat

or

3. you have a medical issue.

Do you use a food scale to weigh out all of your food? Could you open your diary so that we can see if there's anything you might have missed?

Are you using MFP's numbers or did you calculate your TDEE using an external site? Are you restricting your calorie adjustments to only the ones Fitbit does for you, or do you also input some exercises? If so, do you input them in MFP or in the Fitbit app?
  • GrannyLila
    GrannyLila Posts: 1 Member
    How old are you? Have you thought about and?or talked to your doctor about the change of life? I am over 50 now but I started menopause in my late 30's/early 40's. I started gaining weight then also. It took a while for my doctor to figure it out but it was a hormone imbalance.(for me)
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    There are only three possibilities.

Either

1. you are overestimating the number of calories you burn

or

2. you are underestimating the number of calories you eat

or

3. you have a medical issue.

Do you use a food scale to weigh out all of your food? Could you open your diary so that we can see if there's anything you might have missed?

Are you using MFP's numbers or did you calculate your TDEE using an external site? Are you restricting your calorie adjustments to only the ones Fitbit does for you, or do you also input some exercises? If so, do you input them in MFP or in the Fitbit app?

This is likely your problem. Theres a lot of people that stress about not being able to lose weight, and the likely problem is that they dont properly track their calorie intake and/or their TDEE. No one is a special snow flake that cant lose weight. Its simple physics, calories in vs calories out.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Eating too much. Your welcome.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Oops, forgot to add that you should consider investing in a food scale. Will make a huge difference in how accurate your calorie estimations are.
  • bykowskia
    bykowskia Posts: 5 Member
    I am not a physician. From my experience and understanding, mild chronic stress can have an impact on weight. It is related to your hormones, etc. I understand from some folks that managing stress better and lowering the stress in your life (where one can) has enabled some persons to drop significant amount of weight. There is a solution to every problem even if it is not apparent at first.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Your'e not hopeless but if you aren't measuring and recording your calories consumed/burnt properly then you're not going to be very successful. You say you eat medium sized portions, but that tells me that you're not measuring properly.

Get an electronic scale that measures in grams, and weigh everything. Even peanut butter should we weighed. oils and liquids and be measured with a measuring cup or spoons.

Make sure you are always check and double check the entries you are using too, check the actual nutrition labels on your foods.

Finally it's not enough to just want to lose weight, you have to be willing to do what it actually takes to do it right. If you keep jamming the square block into the circle block hole you can't complain when it doesn't go through.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Quit trying everything and try ONE thing for an extended period of time.

My weight fluctuates 5-7 pounds DAILY.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Don't focus so hard on the scale - those numbers are totally arbitrary. Focus on how you feel, what you're capable of doing with your body, and how you look in the mirror. The answer to just about every problem is "work harder".
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    How old are you? Have you thought about and?or talked to your doctor about the change of life? I am over 50 now but I started menopause in my late 30's/early 40's. I started gaining weight then also. It took a while for my doctor to figure it out but it was a hormone imbalance.(for me)

Profile says he's a 27 year old dude. Probably not the change of life...
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    It must be a setup.