Too nervous to join a gym

Options
2»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The Y is all over the country, less expensive than many others and the people who go there are all shapes and abilities. When I started, I couldn't do al the moves for the classes I took. I just did what I could and instead of feeling bad about what I couldn't do, I focused on what a good thing I was going to go ahead and exercise even though I couldn't do it all. Now I can do most moves. When I see someone who can't, I don't think less of that person. I think that's the hero of the class, who is taking that first step. So, go and meditate on yourself as a hero as you do what you can. It starts with loving yourself.

The Y is less expensive than many others? Where? I go to the Y and pay $100.00 a month.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hiiii, I am 5'8 and pushing 200Ibs since an ankle injury last year. I know I need to get back into exercising but I just can't bring myself to join a gym. I've been to gyms before so I don't know why I'm so scared in doing so! :( I've been telling myself for months that I will "join tomorrow" but anxiety gets the better of me and I just keep putting it off! I don't think road/park running is for me as I live in a city. Does anybody know how I can overcome this? So frustrating! Thank you xx

I can promise you that nobody at the gym gives a damn whether you're there or not, so with that out of the way there is nothing to fear. Go and join and start working to better yourself.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and started at 215 pounds. I was nervous too but I promise nobody is paying attention to you, when I work out I keep my eye on the prize and get in the zone, as do most people. Also, I joined Gold's Gym and they have a room that plays movies on a huge movie screen so its really dark in there and there are bicycles, elipticals and treadmills so I used to "hide" in there and work out. They also have a ladies only weight room with free weights, a rack and machine weights. Good luck! I understand what your feeling but you are worth it to get healthy, so just go for it!! :flowerforyou:
  • lochnessmonster23
    lochnessmonster23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't worry. The great thing about gyms is that there, you are literally NOT alone. Which means you can join in on group activities. There's Yoga, Zumba, body workouts and even classes with dancing where it doesn't even feel like you're working out because the music just makes you want to move. You actually feel like a part of something, a community. It completely beats being alone on a treadmill (I personally feel like a hamster on a wheel on one of those) and being around people keeps you motivated and also happy.
  • stephanieluvspb
    Options
    The Y is all over the country, less expensive than many others and the people who go there are all shapes and abilities. When I started, I couldn't do al the moves for the classes I took. I just did what I could and instead of feeling bad about what I couldn't do, I focused on what a good thing I was going to go ahead and exercise even though I couldn't do it all. Now I can do most moves. When I see someone who can't, I don't think less of that person. I think that's the hero of the class, who is taking that first step. So, go and meditate on yourself as a hero as you do what you can. It starts with loving yourself.

The Y is less expensive than many others? Where? I go to the Y and pay $100.00 a month.
  • stephanieluvspb
    Options

In indiana my y membership was $40 a month they also give discounts based on income. That was about 5 years ago
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    How did you hurt your ankle? Was it in the gym? Sometimes setbacks make you subconciously afraid to return to that or that setback just allows you to be a bit lazy and you get into that habit which can be hard to beat. I have dealt with both, and am going through a setback right now. The best thing is to set a plan, vocalize it/tell someone who you respect(and might motivate you in someway) and get it done. If it helps, find someone already at a gym and join them. Workout partners are how I get ou of slumps. Or sometimes it takes me paying for a course(when I was walking on for football at my uni I hired a trainer, joined a pilates class and joined an acceleration program and it helped me to get out of that hole a setback created). Just dont let it become an excuse.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

In indiana my y membership was $40 a month they also give discounts based on income. That was about 5 years ago

The Y in my hometown is around $15-20.month. Super cheap
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Just suck it up, go to the gym and thank us later. This isn't a big deal and shouldn't require a lot of additional thought/consideration. Just do it.