Do you take oral contraceptives? If so, read this...

Options
...many women take them, for various reasons. While our own reasons are personal/private and not important to the public, it IS important to know something about the pill.

Studies have shown that taking oral contraceptives (especially long-term) speeds up the reproduction of cervical cells. This not only contributes to the multiplication of any abnormal cells, but can also cause cervical dysplasia that can eventually (if left untreated) lead to cervical cancer.

However, there is something you can do. In studies of women who were on the pill and reported abnormal cervical cells or cervical dysplasia, supplements were shown to have a positive impact on the cervical cells. Women who took a high-dose of Folic Acid every day (about 400 mcg) were able to improve or completely reverse the cervical dysplasia in as little as a month to several months. Vitamin C and Vitamin A were also shown to have a positive impact, though Folic Acid showed the greatest results.

So, give Folic Acid a try. It's not just a "pregnancy vitamin"...it helps with the HEALTHY reproduction of all new cells.

*Disclaimer: this advice does not promise 100% success rates, nor does it take into consideration other conditions that cause cervical dysplasia, which may be unaffected by supplements.

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. My multivitamin has this amount of Folic Acid in it.

A side note - seeing this post made me remember to take my vitamins and iron.:drinker: :heart:
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    bump
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Can you post where you found this study at? I remember reading not too long ago that women who were on bc pills had a lower risk of cervical cancer.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Folic acid is so good for you in many other ways. I'm going to make sure its int the next multivitamin I buy!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    This is why when I was recovering from the removal of some unwanted cells (not pleasant) my doc almost removed me from the medication until the remainder of the cells hit the road.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    hmm this is very interesting. I have been back and forth with this for 4 years now it is not fun and when it deals with minor procedures :(
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    This is why when I was recovering from the removal of some unwanted cells (not pleasant) my doc almost removed me from the medication until the remainder of the cells hit the road.

Mine came back :/
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    pilotgirl2007 - I think taking OC cuts the risk of *ovarian* cancer. I'd probably take a Vit B complex, if I didn't already take enough vitamins, since B is great for women's health.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you post something without saying you didn't write it, you are claiming ownership. It's called stealing.

Once the source is posted the reader can decide if it's something they agree with or not. Otherwise it's just advice you shouldn't be giving.
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this information to my attention! I know that I can simply GOOGLE it to learn more! :)