Lonely Snacking...

Options
So I have noticed that I eat more and do less when my husband is out of town. Since he is gone at least two weeks out of every month, this can be a very destructive thing for my diet!

I'm wondering what the root of this is. I still have my 9 yr old and 1 yr old with me and I do work full time so its certainly not for a lack of things to do. Is this a sign of depression? Is there something I can do to change my behavior when he's gone?

Any guidance? Suggestions?

Replies

• abtropix
    abtropix Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It happens to me when he's gone because I don't sit down to have an actual, healthy meal. Try sitting down and have a good, healthy meal with your kids, chew slowly and try to exercise more whenever you get a chance. If you're lonely, hit the gym not the fridge!
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think you hit it on the nose with your title. Loneliness. Or increased stress when he's not around to help out. You probably have more to do and it seems like more work. Any job is harder and more stressful alone than with your honey by your side. I'd be missing my honey so much I wouldn't want to do anything either and I'd probably be eating more too. I use to sneak food all the time, like if he didn't see me eat it then it doesnt count. Haha!

Anytime I'm feeling blue I try to pick myself up with sunshine and remembering "exercise is a great antidepressent." Even if it's just a slow stroll around the park, I still feel better when I get back home and usually am able to get something else done.
  • msemejuru
    Options
    I don't think you are depressed, maybe a little lonely. Plan an extra workout or extra time to workout when he is out of town to let the endorphins life your spirits. Come up with a special hobby that you do only when he is out of town like scrapbooking, cooking new lighter foods, call/Skype friends for catch up or read a novel (the trashier the better). I used to play soccer every evening with my then 3 year old when my husband was out of town. This helped my son cope as well.
  • whalenmich7295
    whalenmich7295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It happens to me when he's gone because I don't sit down to have an actual, healthy meal. Try sitting down and have a good, healthy meal with your kids, chew slowly and try to exercise more whenever you get a chance. If you're lonely, hit the gym not the fridge!

I completely agree with this! I know at 24-hour fitness (which is a national chain), some of the locations in the Denver area have child care, for $3. 1-year old may be too young, but its worth it. Also you can make an out with with your kids. Depending on where you live, load the 1-year in a stroller and put the 9-year on the bike and ya'll take a walk to the Yogurt shop, or out to dinner.
  • mrsdiaz
    mrsdiaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback!

I definitely agree with the meal part. By the time I pick up the kids and get home I usually end up popping a pizza in the oven. It may take some extra prep work the night before but that I'm sure will help.

It is easier to exercise when he is gone but I can never seem to convince myself to get off the couch after the girls go to bed. I may just have to schedule it on my phone so that it annoys me.

Thanks again!!!
  • sexyjeans
    Options
    I can totally relate. Never had a problem w/food until after my divorce. Now I fill my evenings with wine and snacks. Ugh. No wonder those 15 lbs have snuck up on me. :-(