50 Pounds Lost, and Counting

Options
meggwtw
meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
So, I hit the 50 pounds lost mark, yay for me! People ask what my secret is -- there isn't one. But I do have a strategy!

vrer1y.jpg

DO'S

*Calorie deficit. Burn more calories than you take in - this is the core component of weight loss! Make sure those calories come 95% from FOOD, not from beverages. Make sure the calories are quality, meaning plenty of lean protein, limited carbs (excluding veggies/fruit, which actually are carbs), and avoid unhealthy fats, while having a sensible amount of healthy fats like olive oil or nuts and fatty acids.
*Cook. Make your own fresh meals at home, make fresh juices and shakes from scratch with natural/leafy greens, veggies and fruits. Eat good fiber, portion out your meals. Use olive oil instead of butter or vegetable oil.
*Eat fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats (chicken breast & fish) etc.
*Physical Activity. Even if you have to start small, get moving. At least 30 minutes per day should be physically active, whether that's taking a walk, taking the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator, or biking instead of driving. When stamina builds up,strive for an hour a day, and dedicated exercise 3-5 times per week (treadmill, elliptical, rowing, stair master, stationary bike)
*Drink plenty of water. Although the common adage says 8 glasses/day, that's really not accurate if you're consuming lots of fresh fruit or veggies, because they contain mostly just water and fiber!
*Sleep. Eight hours per night, so your body can heal and be prepared each day. Avoid naps during the day, as they're often counterproductive and make you feel more tired afterwards.
*Make attainable goals. This means goals along the way, not just the end goal weight, or you'll go crazy. Think about fitting into small clothes, losing inches off your waistline, no longer being obese/or overweight, going off medications that you may take to cope with the effects of being overweight, or things of that nature.

DON'TS
*Don't expect miracles overnight. Many people get frustrated and give up on weight loss attempts because they starve themselves to kickstart the process, then give up because that's unsustainable. This results in a yo-yo effect, where not only will you gain the weight BACK, you'll be even heavier than when you started!
*LIMIT SUGAR! Read labels. Cut out anything sweetened, including SODA, fancy coffee beverages (frappuccinos, looking at you), 99% of boxed cereals, flavored oatmeal, flavored yogurt, etc.
*NO FAST FOOD! A good general rule is don't eat in the car! Eating should be an activity that is enjoyed and savored!
*No rice, bread, crackers at home. Avoid.
*Oatmeal is good -- unflavored! Add berries for sweetness, or a bit of stevia
*No cookies, ice cream, cookies or candy!
*Limit dairy, especially CHEESE.
*Cut way back on processed foods! This includes anything in a box, anything that needs to be microwaved, anything that has ingredients that don't sound like FOOD, and anything frozen/previously frozen, canned or preserved.

Replies

• knittingayle
    knittingayle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're looking great -- and hope you're feeling great too! Congratulations!
  • Calabrisellamia
    Calabrisellamia Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You are looking so good. Amazing how that dress fits now…and interesting that you were 50 pounds heavier you could still get into a dress inteneded for your weight now.

Proves how any of us can be overweight but wear our same clothes fooling ourselves that we are only 10 pounds overweight.

thanks for all the tips too…very helpful.
  • fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You are looking great!

I like your tips too since they are the same ones that work for me. :)
  • novagirl55
    novagirl55 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I can't wait to hit 50 lbs lost! You look great :)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So, I hit the 50 pounds lost mark, yay for me! People ask what my secret is -- there isn't one. But I do have a strategy!

vrer1y.jpg

DO'S

*Calorie deficit. Burn more calories than you take in - this is the core component of weight loss! Make sure those calories come 95% from FOOD, not from beverages. Make sure the calories are quality, meaning plenty of lean protein, limited carbs (excluding veggies/fruit, which actually are carbs), and avoid unhealthy fats, while having a sensible amount of healthy fats like olive oil or nuts and fatty acids.
    *Cook. Make your own fresh meals at home, make fresh juices and shakes from scratch with natural/leafy greens, veggies and fruits. Eat good fiber, portion out your meals. Use olive oil instead of butter or vegetable oil.
    *Physical Activity. Even if you have to start small, get moving. At least 30 minutes per day should be physically active, whether that's taking a walk, taking the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator, or biking instead of driving. When stamina builds up,strive for an hour a day, and dedicated exercise 3-5 times per week (treadmill, elliptical, rowing, stair master, stationary bike)
    *Drink plenty of water. Although the common adage says 8 glasses/day, that's really not accurate if you're consuming lots of fresh fruit or veggies, because they contain mostly just water and fiber!
    *Sleep. Eight hours per night, so your body can heal and be prepared each day. Avoid naps during the day, as they're often counterproductive and make you feel more tired afterwards.
    *Make attainable goals. This means goals along the way, not just the end goal weight, or you'll go crazy. Think about fitting into small clothes, losing inches off your waistline, no longer being obese/or overweight, going off medications that you may take to cope with the effects of being overweight, or things of that nature.

DON'TS
    *Don't expect miracles overnight. Many people get frustrated and give up on weight loss attempts because they starve themselves to kickstart the process, then give up because that's unsustainable. This results in a yo-yo effect, where not only will you gain the weight BACK, you'll be even heavier than when you started!
    *LIMIT SUGAR! Read labels. Cut out anything sweetened, including SODA, fancy coffee beverages (frappuccinos, looking at you), 99% of boxed cereals, flavored oatmeal, flavored yogurt, etc.
    *NO FAST FOOD! A good general rule is don't eat in the car! Eating should be an activity that is enjoyed and savored!
    *Cut way back on processed foods! This includes anything in a box, anything that needs to be microwaved, anything that has ingredients that don't sound like FOOD, and anything frozen/previously frozen, canned or preserved.

Great job on your success!! You look and are doing great. I am glad what you are doing is working, however, I know many people, including myself that still eat many of the things you are saying that we should not eat....bread, fast food, cookies, ice cream, candy, etc....I have managed to lose 30lbs in the last 4.5 months and still enjoy all of the things I love, by simply making sure if I am going to have them that they fit my macros for the day. I can tell you, for me, to cut out things that I love, would ultimately, in the end lead to my failure-I want to be able to sustain my weight long term, and it is not realistic to think that I can NEVER eat any of the foods I love.
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, your success is very motivating! Great job!
  • Thenewme31
    Thenewme31 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great results! I have done MOST of what you have. I make sure to drink at least 100 oz of water a day. I did cut out fast food, and bad for me foods for now and mostly all sugar however I do use instant oatmeal because it's the only way I'll eat it(flavored). I figure it's not the BEST for me but it gets the oatmeal in me and that's the important part! I have 64lbs left to lose and can't wait till I'm at the 50lb mark!!! Congrats again!
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • robster160
    robster160 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your great results! Your do's and don'ts are perfect - I am saving them to my desktop :)
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 50 pound weight loss. Although you have been so successful giving up so many foods, I personally am not doing that. I am losing slowly, but have not eliminated any foods. For me that is not sustainable. Thanks for sharing your journey.
  • Narc_soda
    Narc_soda Posts: 181 Member
    Options

vrer1y.jpg

DO'S

DON'TS

Thank you for your insight on your 50lb loss.
    Way to go on that milestone! BUMP!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!