Really disappointed in fitbit

Options

Replies

• marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

plus if you're from the UK you can get rewarded in vouchers for getting your steps in see bounts.com and get walking for those :)

Thanks for ths info, never heard of this before... I've just signed up and I already have 350 points.... woohoo...!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not sure why yours does not work on the treadmill? If you have the Flex then you may have issues if you hold onto the treadmill. If that is the issue, then let go OR see about exchanging it for a One.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options

It actually DOES count hand movements for things like peeling and chopping veggies etc. I stand still doing those and sometimes I can rack up 200 'steps'

Just to clarify, that may be true of the wrist worn fitbit devices. But not all fibit devices, I have a fitbit one and it doesn't count arm movements at all. My One is pretty accurate for walking and running, but on a treadmill it wouldn't factor in steep incline settings--other than that it works well. I am not a bi treadmill or cardio machine user though so that doesn't bother me. I've heard Flex users post that if they play with the dominant/nondominant hand settings and where they wear their fitbit they can avoid steps from things like typing.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've been using one for almost two years, now. What I like about it is that it enables me to capture the walking around I do during the day, from walking around the office, to mowign the lawn, to walking the dog. That means much less guesswork than if I had to try and calculate how far and how fast the dog walk was.

But, by using it in combination with my activity factor that comes from my workout plan, I've had pretty consistent loss, maintenance, and gain results.

Generally, the biggest headache I have is when driving between my current location an San Antonio, because the road's bumpy enough to log a LOT of steps. In most other places, and even when driving along other highways, I didn't have that issue.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've been able to maintain/cut/bulk just using the number my fitbit gives me. I don't know what other people are doing but I get valid data from biking. The only thing I've ever needed to add manually is swimming/diving because I'm not wearing it.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are pedometers and are useful for tracking how many steps you take. Perfect for walkers.

They are not very useful for anything else (running, weight training, dancing....)
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit in February of this year and i wear it faithfully all the time. I don't need to know how long i slept for but i love seeing how many steps and in fact this often encourages me to do some more to reach a nice round figure for that day ie 10000,15000 or 20000 steps. It has certainly improved my fitness levels as i am keen to walk most places. This along with trying to stick within my calories allotted to me by mfp works for me.
    I am not saying that it will work for everyone but i know for me the visual display of seeing how many steps i have done and how many extra calories i have earned gives me a buzz lol.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Have had my fitbit one since December 28th and have not had it further than a few feet from me ever since.
    It works perfectly on the treadmill. Very glad of purchase.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are pedometers and are useful for tracking how many steps you take. Perfect for walkers.

They are not very useful for anything else (running, weight training, dancing....)
    That's not true. They track all steps-based exercise, including running and dancing. Today's pedometers do a lot more than count steps like the old style pendulum pedometers. They use accelerometers that can tell how much you're moving on 3 axes and predict what you're doing and compare it to METs tables for calorie burn estimates tailored to your age, gender, height and weight. They transmit it via bluetooth to a web site where you can track trends and compare it to intake.

It IS a fancy pedometer but it does a lot more than count steps for walkers only.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Fitbit says some treadmills/users generate so little impact the device doesn't detect it well. I've never had that problem.

I think it's more likely someone is wearing a Flex and holding the handrail.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

plus if you're from the UK you can get rewarded in vouchers for getting your steps in see bounts.com and get walking for those :)

Thanks for ths info, never heard of this before... I've just signed up and I already have 350 points.... woohoo...!

Sprints to the computer to sign up.

*fitbit logs sprint perfectly*

Thanks 1st person. I did not know this. :drinker:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Go buy yourself a Garmin, it'll make all other devices look like the toys they are.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Go buy yourself a Garmin, it'll make all other devices look like the toys they are.

I also have a Garmin.

It is useless for tracking my steps, recording my sleep and syncing with MFP to sort out my daily calories

It's awesome for recording my runs and bike rides though.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I love mine...but if I remember well, the documentation says it is not working on treadmills or that type of equipment. Did you do your researxh before?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options

I also have a Garmin.

It is useless for tracking my steps, recording my sleep and syncing with MFP to sort out my daily calories

Why would anyone need to track calories in their sleep? No, seriously..........
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit. I have the flex and I find if I am on the elliptical it can confuse it with the hand bars. It does track accurately if I put my hand on my hip, since it picks up the step motion. Same thing if walking on a treadmill. it usually picks up running on the treadmill just fine.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I also have a Garmin.

The sleep tracking isn't for calorie purposes, it's to track how much sleep you get and how restful or disrupted it was. (Which after the first month of tracking it, I never did again, but a lot of people find the info helpful and interesting. Sleep isn't a problem I have, though.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

Sprints to the computer to sign up.

*fitbit logs sprint perfectly*

Thanks 1st person. I did not know this. :drinker:

You're welcome folks, post that info on your wall so your other fitbit friends can reap the rewards too ☺
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I also have a Garmin.

A GPS does nothing for those using a treadmill and the sleep function of any activity tracker is to monitor restlessness/quality of sleep, not calories burned while sleeping.

Now back to your single brand propaganda that doesn't fit what this OP or thread are discussing.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

I also have a Garmin.

The sleep tracking isn't for calorie purposes, it's to track how much sleep you get and how restful or disrupted it was. (Which after the first month of tracking it, I never did again, but a lot of people find the info helpful and interesting. Sleep isn't a problem I have, though.)

Should have used an Oxford comma

So please read as

It is useless for tracking my steps, recording my sleep, and syncing with MFP to sort out my daily calories

Le sigh.