My Carb Challenge!

Options
Ok, so here it goes. Lets finally settle some of this debate, on low carb vs. normal carb vs. high carb diets.

Now, I'm not going to actually debate any information in this thread. But I guess in someway, I will be the test dummy for it. Last Monday (the 29th) I started my 3rd round of P90X. I had great success with my first two rounds. However I did not follow the diet strictly enough. So this time I am. With a catch..

I have been eating for the past week, 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% fat. Most people would consider this low carb, which I to think it would be considered. I am NOT SURE IF IT WILL WORK. But I will let everyone else decide. I have my starting pictures from this round, and I will take pictures when I am done with phase 1 (Dec 24th). We will see how much progress I made and weather you think the diet it worth it, and weather I think it is also.

Now, I have no idea if it will work or not. But the only way to tell is to stick with it and find out. Trial and error is nearly 80% of a diet anyway.. So maybe you're curious what numbers I'll actually be eating.. I can tell you this. I am eating the EXACT same thing, every day. Which I have done for the past five days. With the exception of saturday nights. Where I can eat whatever I like within reason.

Here is what a typical day will look like for me; (Also drinking a gallon or more of water a day)

1890 calories. (goal 1900)
113 carbs (goal 119)
54 fat (goal 53)
232 protein (goal 239)

Now these are as close to the percents as I could possibly get. It is difficult to be spot on. Here is what my workout will look like;

Monday - Chest and Back
Tuesday - Plyometrics (cardio)
Wednesday - Shoulders and Arms
Thursday - Plyometrics (cardio)
Friday - Legs and Back
Saturday - Plyometrics (cardio)
Sunday - Stretch X

Now, I know everyone has different views on a low carb diet, being good or bad, or whatever it may be. I know there are PLENTY of fitness professionals who would probably never advise me of going on such a diet. (With good reason) However I have read lots of information and feel a need to at least test it for a month. So I'm just saying hold you're opinion till I am done and lets see the results.

Keep in mind I will be very strict on my diet at all times to keep it fair. I will also keep this thread updated with anything I need to say, if I feel tired, get sick, etc etc. I welcome anyone to weigh in with ANY thoughts, but to keep an open mind!

Replies

• lashleyrivera
    Options
    im curious to see how this works out, i just lowered my carb intake by a lot because i heard it will help you shed the pounds faster.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    im curious to see how this works out, i just lowered my carb intake by a lot because i heard it will help you shed the pounds faster.

We will know in about 22 days or so.. Or at least have a good idea.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind medical problems pay a big factor in this. If it doesn't make a difference for you does not mean it will not make a difference with someone that has PCOS, or Diabetes or Hypothyroidism... Watching your carb intake is essential in losing weight with those conditions.

So just because it makes me no difference for you (Or it might) does not mean the next person down the road it won't be the turning point of their life.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Keep in mind medical problems pay a big factor in this. If it doesn't make a difference for you does not mean it will not make a difference with someone that has PCOS, or Diabetes or Hypothyroidism... Watching your carb intake is essential in losing weight with those conditions.

So just because it makes me no difference for you (Or it might) does not mean the next person down the road it won't be the turning point of their life.

Completely agreed. But that is why I set out to do this, or at least try. Personally I believe limiting carbs to be a big part of any fitness plan. However I know there are many many people who will disagree with good reason. I have no yet completed anything over 5 days with limited carbs, so I will soon see if it does make a difference.

P.S I just read another thread on bodybuilding.com on a kid around my ago who went into a keto diet (less than 5% carbs) and over a year.. I couldn't believe how ripped he looked. Not typical results, but serious stuff.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    I did P90X and I thought that program sucked imo.
    I did it for more then 90 days actually and the weight wasn't coming off and I wasn't getting as fit as I wanted to.
    I don't think its a good program for overweight people cause in the beginning alot of those exercise where hard for me to pull.
    Also if your not in good shape you could hurt yourself doing the stuff on there.
    For the average Joe you might see some results if your in OK shape.
    I think you'll do pretty good with your body type on P90X.

But a gym is the way to go with heavy weight and a constant cardiovascular equipment.
    I just don't think jumping around in your living room isnt enough sometimes to see results especially since I was huge.

I wish you luck though and hope you meet your goals and get that Brad Pitt body going on.
    And you already know how I feel about the whole low carb thing already so I wont mention it lol =P
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I did P90X and I thought that program sucked imo.
    I did it for more then 90 days actually and the weight wasn't coming off and I wasn't getting as fit as I wanted to.
    I don't think its a good program for overweight people cause in the beginning alot of those exercise where hard for me to pull.
    Also if your not in good shape you could hurt yourself doing the stuff on there.
    For the average Joe you might see some results if your in OK shape.
    I think you'll do pretty good with your body type on P90X.

But a gym is the way to go with heavy weight and a constant cardiovascular equipment.
    I just don't think jumping around in your living room isnt enough sometimes to see results especially since I was huge.

I wish you luck though and hope you meet your goals and get that Brad Pitt body going on.
    And you already know how I feel about the whole low carb thing already so I wont mention it lol =P

Haha, well Mrbackslap. You may be right about the low carb stuff. But I will come back and let you know how it goes after this month. If it doens't go well, I will fully admit to it.

As for P90X, I could see someone who is VERY out of shape.. It would be a extremely difficult program. My first two rounds, I made a lot of progress. So hopefully will be the same on my third round.

After this round, I may either start going to my local gym, or even P90X plus. Personally I know swear by beachbody products. I never believed in infomercials until I finished P90X.

But with all things fitness. Whatever you do will help. But you need to work hard at it and be consistent.

OK SO WEEK ONE UPDATE.

Today is my 6th day of eating low carb. It has gone very well. The only things I have noticed so far, are trouble falling asleep at night. I am not sure if it is because of low carb, or since I started to workout again. I'll have to keep an eye on it. But it is nothing crazy.

My mood is pretty good. I do not feel overly tired or anything like that. However tonight I will be having a carb-up meal which is highly recommended on a low carb diet at least once a week.

I believe that by the end of the day, late around 11p.m or so I may be reaching a state of ketosis, hence why it is harder to fall asleep. Because by that time of the day my glycogen levels are completely depleted. Like I said I will keep an eye it.

Tonight I'm going out to Hibatchi with the girlfriend. So I'll get plenty of carbs in.
  • manda1284
    Options
    I've been eating low carb for the passed 3 weeks. Basically been eating low carb all week, and then higher carbs from Friday night to Sunday morning. I try to get in a good resistance workout on Fridays, so that the carbs I eat over the weekend actually might do some good at replenishing my muscles.

So far, I've seen a huge improvement in energy (agreed it's harder to fall asleep). And I really don't get hungry at all. I'm actually seeing my abs too, and I haven't even been working them out. I'm not really trying to build muscle, just maintain it while I lose, so I might be different from your goals. Just thought I'd share! :)
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i'm intressted to see how it goes .. since i'm on low carb /high protein as well - many people disagree with this.. but i actually for the first time feel " good " on a program. I 'm not hungry, don't have the " sugar cravings " i was a sugar addict.. needed bread and pasta almost at every meal.. even working out for 5x a week each time from 60-90 minutes- has not shown any results- at all .. not one single pound lost - even with 3 months of constant food logging on mfp and watching the kcls- not one lbs - lost !
    Now with this " low carb/ high protein " in 2 weeks i have lost about 8.6 lbs !
    Just lowering the carbs and incr. protein.. well i'm not on " 200 " protein.. my goal is to hit a 100 not much more than that and carbs are a max at 120 - still hard to stay there.. but i'm working on it.. i feel good :) and my workouts are much more intense now- i feel stronger/more energy etc.

Keep us updated :)
  • shawnaloeppky
    Options
    I just started this low carb on Monday and I've lost four pounds this week after being kinda STUCK for the past several weeks. I know I feel better on it already and the weight loss seems to be good but of course this is only the first week. I plan on sticking to this as long as I see consistent weight loss week to week, no matter how small. Beats all the past previous weeks of lose a pound, gain a pound, lose two, gain three, etc etc etc.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I will likely soon be going to a lower carb diet. I did Atkins years ago and weight fell off without having to do anything. I literally sat at a desk in college and work and played video games and lost 100+ lbs in a year just eating very low carb.

I may do Atkins induction again and then go to a lower carb but higher intake than I was doing since I'm exercising this time around.

I am a firm believer that carbs are what kill most Americans with weight gain. We do less and less physical activity and just about everything we eat had really high carbs and sugar in it.

I know when I did low carb, I loved the diet and felt great the entire time.
  • TiminNova
    Options
    These goals may work very well for you and I hope they do. But this is not a true low carb diet.