Anyone with Success at Maintaining?

Options

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 2 years. I eat food and I exercise.

There is going to be nothing magic about Paleo. Some of the claims about it are that you can eat whatever and it basically impossible for you to gain weight. Well, that's bull****. Eat too many calories, you'll gain. If you like pretending you are a paleolithic hunter gatherer while cruising the aisles of the supermarket, that's fine. If you like the food, that's fine. But don't kid yourself that this will magically let you eat a million calories a day and not gain. Physics is still physics.

As for the social carbs: if you chose to do Paleo, you can always allow yourself a cheat day where you realize you don't actually live in a cave and eat human food. Seems most everyone does anyway.

And OP - maybe 125 is too low for you? Or maybe you'd feel better in your body with some weight training? Random numbers on a scale are just that...

^^^ This

I've been maintaining for over 2 years. I eat food and I exercise and I stick to my weekly net calories. Works a treat.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    As to your question, yes, I've been successful at maintaining for two years now. I only eat foods I enjoy, watch portion sizes, and I'm not sedentary. I'm 52 years old.

Easy Peasey.

This ^^
    though my maintenance has been for one year. I am sedentary but walk at least 2.5 miles a day sometimes more for heart health. I am 62. I eat what I enjoy too (which does not really include junk food) I mainly cook from scratch and drink wine nearly every day all within my maintenance calories. I am 5 7 and weigh 138 pounds
    My diary is open for all to see
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    GIRL! i am 45.. lol.. you are 21... when i was 21 i can eat anything i wanted also :) !!! you are beautiful and probably super healthy ... i cant even drink a glass of wine anymore without some kind of issue..... pre-menapause is so different then at your age....... i switched to paleo because i was so hungry and eating meat and more fat does actually satiate your hunger...

Uh.....???
    I've been maintaining for almost 2 years. I'm 56. I watch my portions and don't exclude anything from my diet; I just find a balance that works. I drink wine, cider, beer and anything else without issue. I eat oatmeal, meat/fats, veggies, cake, cookies, ice cream, anything I want (within reason). I'm not sure what you mean about pre-menopause changing diet issues?
    Yes, fats will satiate your hunger but so will other foods. You've got to find what works for you but don't make the current fad diet the magic bullet. Find a good balance of sustainability; watch portions and do moderate exercise. Try not to get to a weight range that is too low for the body; that's too hard to maintain over a lifetime. Find moderation in your goal, foods and exercise and things will come together.

Yeah, I'm with you on the "uh, what?".

I'm 45 and the only thing I've had to cut out is lactose, and that's a stomach issue thing. I've been maintaining for almost a year now, eating around 2500/day, with about 1200 calories/day from carbs alone. You may want to read this link before you start eliminating entire food groups without a valid medical and/or moral reason.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    To the original question - yes, I have been able to maintain after losing weight
    How did I lose, by watching my calories, no specific diet, and exercising
    To the comments about Paleo, I agree with the comments about the fact that Paleo has nothing to do with it. I wish I could remember the book I read but....basically...all any of the popular diets do is restrict calories by eliminating a food group, restricting certain foods etc. They all claim that it is the certain food group or types of foods, sugars, carbs, proteins etc that are preventing you from losing weight but in actuality each is restrciting your calories w/out telling you that is what is happening
    If you manage you calories on this site, track honestly and eat back your exercise calories, you will lose the weight and then be able to keep it off.
    It's not Atkins or Paleo or Jenny Craig or whatever the next diet fad will be....it is calorie manegement - nothing else
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Maybe the problem is that you're trying to lose weight by giving up things you enjoy. If you are planning on sticking to a paleo diet, that's great. If this isn't something you think you can live with forever, maybe you should find another way to maintain, like just eating smaller portions of regular food. The diet that works best is the one you can live with.

well in the past i have succesfully but painfully done the low calorie thing. which allowed me to eat anything i want whenever i want as long as i stayed in the under 1200 calorie zone... the reason i switched to paleo is because that amount of calories is way to low and i am tired of doing the yo yo with that.. now i can eat 1500+ calories and maintain my weight with PALEO but then this problem comes up at least once a week....... the CARB while being SOCIAL issue... we will see how i do long term with PALEO.

I don't understand this. Why can't you eat the foods you want following 1500 calories a day? Paleo doesn't do anything special but eliminate food groups.

Also, if it hasnt been said; I thought it was feasible to pick a range to maintain not an exact number. If you dont want to be above 125lbs, maybe you should aim for maintaining 120-125lbs..due to you will fluctuate on a daily basis.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have maintained my weight loss for four years now. The first thing you'll discover is, you can't lock in to a specific number on the scale. You'll be within 5 lbs of that at any given time depending on what you eat. Normal for me tends to be a 50/30/20 Carbs/Protein/Fats split. So I can enjoy most 'evil' things in one's diet. At least a little bit.

No matter what your fuel mix ends up being (Paleo, 50/30/20) these are the parameters you can play with:

1) serving sizes
    2) amount of exercise
    3) calories in/calories out.

So, I don't think its magic, I think its identifying your patterns and preferences and adjusting accordingly. For example, when I eat Pizza, I can pretty much know that my weight is going to pop up about 5 lbs and take about 3 days to move on if I don't continue misbehaving.

And if you screw up, try not to screw up for too many days in a row!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

yes you are right.. maybe thats it.. maybe i was just bloated from sugar and starch... thats why i am testing out PALEO right now... regardless of PALEO i think that my body just does not do well with Dairy, Sugar and White Flour anymore because of my age ..

Your age has nothing to do with it.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you can maintain your weight on a Paleo diet at 1500 calories, then you can maintain on *ANY* diet that allows you to eat 1500 calories provided you're getting sufficient protein. It's not the "paleo" part that's maintaining your weight, it's the calorie count.

Try manually setting your MFP goal to 1500 calories per day and 0.7g/lb. body weight protein. (I know that a lot of people recommend higher amounts, but the science doesn't support that. Studies have shown that even competitive athletes only require 0.9g/lb.)

Once you meet your daily protein goal, eat what you want - including the "bad" foods you enjoy. You'll maintain your weight and won't be tempted to fall off the wagon so easily.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have maintained my weight loss for four years now. The first thing you'll discover is, you can't lock in to a specific number on the scale. You'll be within 5 lbs of that at any given time depending on what you eat. Normal for me tends to be a 50/30/20 Carbs/Protein/Fats split. So I can enjoy most 'evil' things in one's diet. At least a little bit.

No matter what your fuel mix ends up being (Paleo, 50/30/20) these are the parameters you can play with:

1) serving sizes
    2) amount of exercise
    3) calories in/calories out.

So, I don't think its magic, I think its identifying your patterns and preferences and adjusting accordingly. For example, when I eat Pizza, I can pretty much know that my weight is going to pop up about 5 lbs and take about 3 days to move on if I don't continue misbehaving.

And if you screw up, try not to screw up for too many days in a row!

Hi Laura,
    Yes I agree.. I have been doing the Calories in/Calories out thing for years now and have succesfully lost weight and maintained it.. my issue is the way i have been maintaining is just to stressfull.. .. and all to maintain 130.. i would think by now i could eat a little more like 1500.. or at least i should have been 120 by now.. you know? at 21 if i ate like this i would probobly weigh 100 lbs.. its my metabolism slow down from all those years of calorie restricting. i am trying to change that now by eating more calories and watching the scale to make sure nothing happens... also eating low carb curbs my hunger... but this is all jsut a test.. we will see.. i can always go back to 1300 and eat wahtever i want.. i mean i am never going to let the scale go past 135 anyway.. it would just be nice to find a normal point where i can just let this go... also its more like a WEEKLY calorie goal you know...
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    If you can maintain your weight on a Paleo diet at 1500 calories, then you can maintain on *ANY* diet that allows you to eat 1500 calories provided you're getting sufficient protein. It's not the "paleo" part that's maintaining your weight, it's the calorie count.

Try manually setting your MFP goal to 1500 calories per day and 0.7g/lb. body weight protein. (I know that a lot of people recommend higher amounts, but the science doesn't support that. Studies have shown that even competitive athletes only require 0.9g/lb.)

Once you meet your daily protein goal, eat what you want - including the "bad" foods you enjoy. You'll maintain your weight and won't be tempted to fall off the wagon so easily.

Hi Jym,
    what is MFP? would love do try whatever!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Hi Jym,
    MFP= MyFitnessPal :wink:
  • maria_antoinette
    Options

Hi Jym,
    MFP= MyFitnessPal :wink:

OH!! Lol. yes.. my stradegy this time around is to LOG everything and WEIGH myself for a year without stopping to see if my new maintence plan works..... .. in the meantime i am researching by asking EVERYONE i can .. how they maintain.. and so far everyone i talk to does whatever they want.. (lucky them).. literally if i eat 1 calorie over 1300 i gain weight... at least with low carb i lose water and can eat 1500 i think... not sure yet...... but like its been only 2 months. we will see later.. usually people who DIET lose weight.. i diet to maintain weight.. its just &^*)&)*&^
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for almost a year now. I honestly know now what a "portion" is and just make sure I eat within that. I don't stress about counting calories anymore (I don't log on here anymore). I just have learned to make smarter decisions when I eat out, so getting a small instead of a medium, dressing on the side, veggies instead of fries, etc.

I allow myself to eat what I want, so if I am craving ice cream, then I eat it. (I was like this when I lost 25 lbs, i ate what I wanted in moderation and with what fit into my macros)

I also exercise regularly. Your weight will always fluctuate- mine is on a 3-5 lbs swing depending on the day. But I find myself sitting at 130-133 regularly and am okay with that. I am focusing more now on strength and not falling off the work out wagon, as I tend to get lazy.

Good luck to you!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Maybe the problem is that you're trying to lose weight by giving up things you enjoy. If you are planning on sticking to a paleo diet, that's great. If this isn't something you think you can live with forever, maybe you should find another way to maintain, like just eating smaller portions of regular food. The diet that works best is the one you can live with.

well in the past i have succesfully but painfully done the low calorie thing. which allowed me to eat anything i want whenever i want as long as i stayed in the under 1200 calorie zone... the reason i switched to paleo is because that amount of calories is way to low and i am tired of doing the yo yo with that.. now i can eat 1500+ calories and maintain my weight with PALEO but then this problem comes up at least once a week....... the CARB while being SOCIAL issue... we will see how i do long term with PALEO.
    Going to agree with the others that you can maintain at 1500 calories of any diet. If you had to under "1200" calories following the other diets to maintain, there is an error somewhere in the logging and you were eating more calories than you thought.

If you find Paleo easier to adhere to, by all means follow it. But it sounds like most of the benefit you are experiencing lies in the higher protein/fat intake and lower carb intake, which helps with satiety and adherence. You can do that without it being Paleo and restricting food groups completely.

edit: I myself have been maintaining for closing in on 3 years. I just adhere to my calorie, protein/fat/carb, and fiber goals and eat what I want to hit those.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    WOW so many HELPFUL responses.. THANK YOU EVERYONE. everything you say i am taking to heart and will find a way to keep reading.

The only thing i can say for certainty was that before lowcarb i was always hungry, i am not hungry anymore.. so at least that box is checked for sure.. as for long term sincei am USE to eating whatever i want as long as i stay in calorie range. not sure that will work.. we will see..
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OH!! Lol. yes.. my stradegy this time around is to LOG everything and WEIGH myself for a year without stopping to see if my new maintence plan works..... .. in the meantime i am researching by asking EVERYONE i can .. how they maintain.. and so far everyone i talk to does whatever they want.. (lucky them).. literally if i eat 1 calorie over 1300 i gain weight... at least with low carb i lose water and can eat 1500 i think... not sure yet...... but like its been only 2 months. we will see later.. usually people who DIET lose weight.. i diet to maintain weight.. its just &^*)&)*&^

Also- just an FYI it takes 3500 calories over and above your daily goal to actually gain a pound of fat. So eating 1 calorie over a 1300 calorie day would not actually make you gain a pound. Maybe water weight fluctuating but not actual fat.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options

Also- just an FYI it takes 3500 calories over and above your daily goal to actually gain a pound of fat. So eating 1 calorie over a 1300 calorie day would not actually make you gain a pound. Maybe water weight fluctuating but not actual fat.

yeah of course.. lol. i was just trying to make a point..... i dont communicate well.. my point was if i go off my serious calorie restriction and NOT by much.. my weight creeps up.. and maybe it IS water like you say.. regardless its too little calories... back then if i ate 1200 calories in my 30's or 20's i would weigh like 100 lbs.. ... not the same anymore at 45
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WOW so many HELPFUL responses.. THANK YOU EVERYONE. everything you say i am taking to heart and will find a way to keep reading.

The only thing i can say for certainty was that before lowcarb i was always hungry, i am not hungry anymore.. so at least that box is checked for sure.. as for long term sincei am USE to eating whatever i want as long as i stay in calorie range. not sure that will work.. we will see..

I'm with you on the low-carb thing. I've been maintaining for several months now, and don't log in anymore (today is the first time in months) or count calories. I didn't feel I could count calories for my whole life.

I firmly believe that different types of diets work for different people. Different people are, well, different. Those who say "ANY diet at the same number of calories is equivalent in terms of losing or maintaining weight" are just fortunate enough to be in that group whose bodies don't react much differently to different types of foods. Those people can eat pizza one day and paleo the next and not feel much different on each of those days. I'm happy for you, but my situation is different. A LOT different.

I'm like the OP. If I eat a mainly high-protein, high-veggie, low-sugar and low-white-carb diet, I simply feel better and am better able to maintain my weight. But if I eat the same number of calories in mainly oatmeal, pasta, bread or rice, it's a disaster. I might be able to maintain my weight, but I'll want to eat everything in sight and take everyone's heads off. Ultimately I will fail. Please don't tell me that pasta and eggs are equivalent in equal caloric amounts. It's just not true. They can have the same number of calories without the effect being the same upon my body.

All those who keep saying different kinds of diets don't matter, please understand that there are those of us for whom it matters a great deal. Food allergies and sensitivities are proof that different people react to different foods in different ways. Are there any among us who don't believe that? Then, is it that great a leap to understand that the general composition of one's diet can affect how different people feel in general? That food sensitivities can exist in milder form, without causing throats to close up or rashes to form? There are so many ways this community accepts how different people deal with different kinds of food (allergies, more or less inflammation, and general food group cravings), but yet there are so many who just say a calorie is a calorie. Yes, physics is physics, but our bodies are not blocks on an inclined plane. They are ruled by chemical reactions, many of which are not fully understood. But many of us know, from repeated experience, what works for US and what doesn't.

OP: to give you a few suggestions for your original questions, first of all, as others have said, maybe 130 is a good weight for you. I've stabilized at 142. I'm 5'6", 48 years old, and from a fat family. I'd love to weigh 135, but I'm just not sure that's at all realistic for me. That said, my thoughts are: 1) for those times you want to eat carbs at social functions, first of all, perhaps eating a healthy snack beforehand will limit the damage. If you go to the functions without a huge appetite, you may feel more able to eat a little bit of cake or whatever without sliding too far down that slippery slope. The more times you don't go overboard, the more likely you'll be to eke off those last few pounds, if you decide to try. 2) You may already be doing this, but during those days and meals when you're completely in control of what you eat, you can be extra good and try to "get ahead" for those occasions. For example, I'm going on travel week after next to a place with wonderful restaurants. I plan to be extra good the week beforehand when I can to try and lose a pound or two in advance. That way I'll be able to enjoy some good cuisine while I'm away, and at the end hopefully end up where I started. 3) Do some training that will build muscle, if you're not already. Even some squats, pushups and situps in the morning before you shower can add a little muscle that will help you burn a little more.

Thanks for the thread, and happy eating!
  • maria_antoinette
    Options

I'm with you on the low-carb thing. I've been maintaining for several months now, and don't log in anymore (today is the first time in months) or count calories. I didn't feel I could count calories for my whole life.

I firmly believe that different types of diets work for different people. Different people are, well, different. Those who say "ANY diet at the same number of calories is equivalent in terms of losing or maintaining weight" are just fortunate enough to be in that group whose bodies don't react much differently to different types of foods. Those people can eat pizza one day and paleo the next and not feel much different on each of those days. I'm happy for you, but my situation is different. A LOT different.

I'm like the OP. If I eat a mainly high-protein, high-veggie, low-sugar and low-white-carb diet, I simply feel better and am better able to maintain my weight. But if I eat the same number of calories in mainly oatmeal, pasta, bread or rice, it's a disaster. I might be able to maintain my weight, but I'll want to eat everything in sight and take everyone's heads off. Ultimately I will fail. Please don't tell me that pasta and eggs are equivalent in equal caloric amounts. It's just not true. They can have the same number of calories without the effect being the same upon my body.

All those who keep saying different kinds of diets don't matter, please understand that there are those of us for whom it matters a great deal. Food allergies and sensitivities are proof that different people react to different foods in different ways. Are there any among us who don't believe that? Then, is it that great a leap to understand that the general composition of one's diet can affect how different people feel in general? That food sensitivities can exist in milder form, without causing throats to close up or rashes to form? There are so many ways this community accepts how different people deal with different kinds of food (allergies, more or less inflammation, and general food group cravings), but yet there are so many who just say a calorie is a calorie. Yes, physics is physics, but our bodies are not blocks on an inclined plane. They are ruled by chemical reactions, many of which are not fully understood. But many of us know, from repeated experience, what works for US and what doesn't.

OP: to give you a few suggestions for your original questions, first of all, as others have said, maybe 130 is a good weight for you. I've stabilized at 142. I'm 5'6", 48 years old, and from a fat family. I'd love to weigh 135, but I'm just not sure that's at all realistic for me. That said, my thoughts are: 1) for those times you want to eat carbs at social functions, first of all, perhaps eating a healthy snack beforehand will limit the damage. If you go to the functions without a huge appetite, you may feel more able to eat a little bit of cake or whatever without sliding too far down that slippery slope. The more times you don't go overboard, the more likely you'll be to eke off those last few pounds, if you decide to try. 2) You may already be doing this, but during those days and meals when you're completely in control of what you eat, you can be extra good and try to "get ahead" for those occasions. For example, I'm going on travel week after next to a place with wonderful restaurants. I plan to be extra good the week beforehand when I can to try and lose a pound or two in advance. That way I'll be able to enjoy some good cuisine while I'm away, and at the end hopefully end up where I started. 3) Do some training that will build muscle, if you're not already. Even some squats, pushups and situps in the morning before you shower can add a little muscle that will help you burn a little more.

Thanks for the thread, and happy eating!

Well clearly you know how to communicate... i feel the exact same way, just cant really say it like you do.... 20 years now i have been maintaining my weight with protein bars and oatmeal and high carb LOW CALORIE and at the same time.. having stomach issues and bloated and starving all the time... NOW with the low carb, i can eat more and feel better, not hungry.. i even have raised my calories and not gained weight.. IF i would however eat a pizza slice or 2 tonight, i would have great stomach issues and i would BLOW UP from water yes.. but still very uncomfortable...... its my age or who knows allready.. so for this reason to me PALEO is not a fad.. its more of a lifestyle of eliminating white starch and suger which cant be BAD... but like i said, i have been on it for 2 months.. i am HOPEFUL for the future.. and i hope that i dont have to weigh and log and all this stuff..
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    I did it everyone.. I have not logged in for months.. i have not weighed myself.. and i have maintained my 131 lbs. with NO EFFORT.. i just weighed myself this morning after months of traveling and eating and not worrying..

I have been doing the IF intermittent fasting.. I eat in a 5-6 hour window everyday, the rest of the time i fast. I drink alot of water (basically i skip breakfast and morning snack) and i doubled my calories. i no longer eat 1200 calories.. i eat at least 1800-2000 and sometimes even more if i am at a party or whatever...

what helped me.. ( this forum )

I combined PALEO with IF (eating from 1-6 only) and ADDING calories to lose/maintain weight.. and adding FAT to my diet..

just being able to maintain my weight without worrying is the HIGHLIGHT of my life at this point... one day i would like to weigh 125.. but really this is amazing what i have accomplished and so easy..