Punch through those fears!

Options
I’ve always wanted to be a fighter. When I asked to do karate, momma said “Ladies don’t fight” and put me in ballet instead. Throughout the years I’ve told myself I didn’t have the money, I didn’t have the time, I wasn’t flexible enough, I didn’t want to get hurt, I was too fat. It all boiled down to fear. Fear that I wouldn’t be good, that I’d make a fool of myself, look ridiculous. I’ve let that fear dictate so much over the years. I’m not sure what got into me, but I decided that enough is enough. I reached out to a local fight club (boxing, MMA) and the owner responded before I even had time to change my mind. He asked me to come in later that day. The fear crept in quickly and I briefly tried to think of excuses, reasons why I couldn't do it tonight…but there weren’t any. So…yeah, ok, let’s do this, let’s get it over with before I chicken out. He said, “Yes, procrastination kills drive”.

I did it. I still have all the reasons I was scared to do it before – I’m still a girl, I still don’t want to get hurt, I’m still not flexible, I’m still fat. But I did it anyway. I sucked up my pride, held my head high and just did it. It was hard seeing myself in the full length mirrors – jumping rope and throwing punches…everything jiggles and there’s a lot of everything. But I was there, I was doing it…that’s more than some. I gave it my all and…I had fun. I’m terrible. I’m clumsy and awkward and slow – all the things I was scared I’d be. But now I realize it doesn't matter. Who cares? The instructor certainly didn't expect me to walk in there like Jean Claude Van Dam. If it was easy, he wouldn't have a job - you could just watch a YouTube video and figure it out. Everyone starts somewhere (if they start at all) and this just happens to be where I started. It wont be where I finish though. I’m going to figure this thing out. And I’m going to have fun doing it. And I’m going to be proud of myself instead of scared.

So what have you let fear keep you from doing? Punch that fear square in its jaw and leap! Make it happen today - procrastination kills drive! :laugh:

Replies

• ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! I love martial arts and kickboxing!! It grounds me! Keep it up!
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Thanks!
    There is another MMA gym in my area that I'm going to check out before making a decision, but definitely going with one of them. Not sure if I should start with just boxing or go full MMA though... suggestions?