How to pick a Breakfast Cereal

Options
http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/N180.htm

I eat cereal pretty much every morning. I am looking for a better alternative then what I have been eating (high sugar). I found this site that has listing on recommendation.

What else is a fast healthy choice?

Replies

• HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Post, Shredded Wheat with Bran. Great with berries or bananas on top.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I eat Kellog's All Bran, then add dried cranberries because the cereal has 100% of all the essential vitamins - which means I don't need to take a supplement. I'm not into pill popping and I love my cereal!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Multigrain cheerios
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    oatmeal of course:happy:
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is in the organic aisle. Cascadian Farm dark chocolate almond granola. It's 250 cals w/ half cup of skim milk and fills me up until lunch. :)
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Only choose from the All Bran or High Bran Cereals list on that site. The list above it is terrible if you are trying to lose weight. Go with the site's recommendation about oatmeal, some raisins, and a small handful of nuts. I add a sweetener packet, cinnamon, and a dash of salt. You will be full all morning. Don't use flavored instant like maple syrup brown sugar raisin whatever. Plain instant is okay. Quaker old fashioned oats is my favorite - 2.5 min in the microwave, stir after the first min and 30 sec - watch it to make sure it doesn't boil over. You can make it taste like pretty much anything if you get creative, and as long as you don't add too much fat or sugar, it's a great breakfast. And with a side of eggs it's even better.
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes to HidyleDidyle! The Post Shredded Wheat N Bran is an awesome choice.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    my favorite is Kellog's Fiber Plus Cinnamon Oat Crunch Cereal
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    The best way to pick a breakfast cereal, bread or anything else really is to carefully check the list of ingredients. Healthy alternatives don't list sugar in the first 3 ingredients. The further down the list and the less sugars(substitutes) the better. Substitutes are as follows, fructose, dextrose, glucose, sucrose, anything ending in ose is a sugar which most people are uunaware of. If you're looking for healthy alternatives look at Kashi.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    This if for All-bran.

WHEAT BRAN, SUGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, MALT FLAVORING, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN, (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN B12 AND VITAMIN D.

This is for Kashi - Go Lean

Soy grits, seven whole grains and sesame cereal (hard red winter wheat, long grain brown rice, whole grain oats, triticale, barley, rye, buckwheat, sesame seeds), evaporated cane juice syrup, corn meal, corn flour, soy protein, wheat bran, oat hull fibre, corn bran, honey, evaporated cane juice, natural flavours, calcium carbonate, salt, annatto colour.

Notice the drastic differences? By the way I forgot to mention honey/syrup for sugars.

If you're eating processed soups I would recommend making your own. They're so ridiculously high in sodium. I used to think I was clever by buying Campbell's Healthy Request and eating a couple of those a day, until I learned that each can has like 1600g of sodium. And there I was wondering why I felt like crap and all dried out after eating those.

Oats, Oatmeal, (impressed by Shredded wheat too), or really read the ingredients when it comes to other cereals.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fiber One- Original
  • AmberBelandria
    AmberBelandria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this I love cereal and could eat it all day. Thanks for the great answers!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    steel cut oatmeal or cheese grits, there is no better way to start the day. make them in large batches then nuke em come breakfast time. the big problem I have with most cold cereals as well as most instant varieties is that they have no substance, ok for a light snack but it doesn't linger I'm hungry again in an hour or so. plus foods high in insoluble fiber make me nauseous.
  • amakenm
    amakenm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cereal makes you fat! Spikes blood sugar, slows your metabalism. Doesn't satiate.

I would have to pick the least worst: Organic Thick Rolled or Steel Cut Oatmeal.

All those processed cereals and granola bars are horrible.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I agree with this if it is Steel Cut Oats.................

I will never touch any mainstream cereals with a 10 foot pole.
  • Katherine912
    Katherine912 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus is great. It has ten grams of protein and five grams of fiber per serving. It's also low in a sugar and carbs. I usually add some raisins and serve it with skim milk for around 160 calories a bowl. It's yummy and filling.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I agree with this if it is Steel Cut Oats.................

I will never touch any mainstream cereals with a 10 foot pole.

Agreed...Plus its so cheap
  • Grokette
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus is great. It has ten grams of protein and five grams of fiber per serving. It's also low in a sugar and carbs. I usually add some raisins and serve it with skim milk for around 160 calories a bowl. It's yummy and filling.

Special K cereals are also filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup and soy (which is processed and not healthy). And this is not to mention that the grains are so processed that they have to fortify with the vitamins and minerals to try and tout it as being healthy.

I can't stand the likes of Kelloggs, General Mills and these main stream Food Manufacturers that are touting these cereals as healthy, when they are anything but healthy.

Please, I am urging you all to please become label readers and stop giving your hard earned money to these manufacturers that DON'T have your health and well-being at heart.

They want your $$$$ and that is all, their bottom line.

Ingredients:
    WHEAT BRAN, SOY GRITS, RICE, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOYBEAN OIL, WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SUGAR, SALT, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, MALT FLAVOR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), SUCRALOSE, ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID AND VITAMIN B12, TO MAINTAIN QUALITY, BHT HAS BEEN ADDED TO PACKAGING
  • Grokette
    Options
    Cereal makes you fat! Spikes blood sugar, slows your metabalism. Doesn't satiate.

I would have to pick the least worst: Organic Thick Rolled or Steel Cut Oatmeal.

All those processed cereals and granola bars are horrible.

I like what your saying!! However, our words will fall on deaf ears because no one wants to hear the truth about our tainted food supply and the companies that are manufacturing these gross and fake foods for their bottom line of making a dollar.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If I have to eat cereal in the morning (I try to eat oatmeal or eggs) then I will have regular cheerios or kashi honey roasted o's. They're like honey nut cheerios but way better for you.