finished a 5k!

Options
So last night at the gym i walked in telling myself i was going to finish a 5k. i got on the treadmill and just kept saying i was going to finish. I did it!!! 48 minutes but i finished it. I have alot of time to shed befor i get back to the races again but atleast i did it. Thank you for reading this.

Replies

• Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    WOOT! Grats to you! How wonderful. I'm looking forward to the day when I can finish mine. :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! Good time too.

ETA: don't worry about your time before you start racing again, get out and race. There will be plenty of folks with a longer time than yours.
  • jcenalover42377
    jcenalover42377 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you. Im trying to get motivation while being on here. this is the first time i have posted anything.
  • gingerraema1
    Options
    That's great!!!! I did my first real 5k in a very long time a few weeks ago. Yeah, I walked and tried to jog some, but it was 52 minutes. So yay you. Keep up the good work!
  • jcenalover42377
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. Im working hard to get back to where i was i just get discouraged so quickly.
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love that you set yourself a goal and then you went out and rocked it! Yay!
  • StrongHealthyPowerful
    Options
    That’s fantastic! I just reached a 5k distance about a month or so ago (for the first time EVER, even counting highschool). It’s a fantastic feeling, isn’t it? I totally did this rather embarrassing happy dance midstride. haha

I’ve also been working to gradually improve on my time since then. There have been two things that have helped me recently. First one was to alternate those long slower run days with running faster intervals (like one minute walking at 4mph then two minutes running at 6.5mph) just to get a feeling for what running faster feels like. And the other was running outside for the first time. I use RunKeeper app to see how fast I was going, and I ended up crushing my record speed by accident. Turns out I’m just not great at monitoring my speed. It totally destroyed me for sure, but once I got back on the treadmill I could say to myself that I ran pretty fast outside, maybe I could up my speed by a few tenths of a mile per hour on the treadmill. It’s worked. Just two days ago I ran a 5k (on the treadmill) in under 30 minutes!
  • jcenalover42377
    Options
    Thank you very much for the advice. I will try going back and forth with fast sprints and slower runnings. Congratulations on a 5k under 30 minutes!!!! Thats awesome. Before my son and about 4 boyfriends ago (lol) i was running 5k races in a little over 30 minutes and felt great. The more weight i lose the easier it is going to be to shred minutes on my time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!