Any Other Big Guys?

Options
No, I'm not referring to just your weight or...ahem....girth. I'm looking for other big guys who are trying to get in shape. I'm just over 6'2" and trying to get under 300 lbs for only the 2nd time since high school (I'm 35). I'm wondering if there are anymore guys like me using myfitnesspal to help with their goals, and who may share similar insights.

For example, the world isn't built big enough for me: I've always been strong as I enjoy weight training, and a lot of my size isn't just the flab (my father and brother are both over 6' and about 210 - 225 - we're a family of linebacker sized gentlemen). When I work out at the gym I can't find a partner who is willing to spot me at the squat rack or bench press because of the weights I have to use to train hard. I've had guys tell me they don't feel safe trying to help me with the weight. Then there are all the places I just don't fit "into" like the small seats on the bikes, or the narrowness of many of the weight machines that don't allow me to fit my shoulders or butt in them. It's not something I'm trying to brag about because it's actually very embarrassing for me. I've always felt like an oaf or cumbersome land mammal, but I'm determined not to let it get to me or stop my success.

Are there any other fellas out there that have the same issues? If so, what do you do to deal with a world that wasn't built big enough for you, and how do you focus your weight loss gains to overcome some of those obstacles our smaller friends and family have never faced?

Replies

• Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I am 6.4 was a tight end in college 240 LBS, balloned up to 370 now down to around 300 too and going to 225 :-). Good luck
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    I was 270 lbs a year ago, Im at 232 now I think. I try to concentrate more on weight loss than bulking with weights, and Im dropping, I do lightermweights more for toning, Hope this helps.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    yah im doing the same thing as the guy above but what i find with weights is that i dont like having a spotter i lift the highest weight that i can get 8 of without needing a spotter
  • Giddeaon
    Options
    At my heaviest I had gotten up to 398 lbs....I lost just over 100 lbs about 5 years ago, but put back on 50 of that. I've since lost 25 of that re-gain. I found that the only way for me to consistently lose weight is to reduce my carbs and put in time moving heavy weights. My body has a clear tipping point. If I maintain a certain level of muscle mass, the fat melts off and stays away, but if I stop lifting it just comes roaring back.

My problem with weight training is that I need to go heavy to get any strain and then subsequent muscle soreness the next day. I would use the various machines, but - for example - my squat is over the heaviest load the machine offers....so I have to use free weights. I don't go to a "muscle-head" gym because I'm not trying to be that guy. Unfortunately that means I can't find anyone to help me grind out a few extra reps. Also, a lot of the machines don't accommodate my frame. Much of the time I feel like an adult trying to use a child's toy. It's and uncomfortable feeling, and it's unfortunately one I've had most of my life.
  • NextGenMe
    NextGenMe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, Giddeaon.

I've got a similar story. Maybe not the part about the lifting but I'm a big guy from a line of big guys. My brothers and I would make a pretty mean offensive line.

I'm 6'0" and dropped about 115 pounds in 2001. Since then, I've managed to put it all back on with a little more to spare. Last time I got down to around 240 and started to feel like I was "close." I was doing Weight Watchers at the time and they had set a goal weight of 185 for me. I thought "no freakin' way!" I would be skin and bones at that weight. I figure 225 should be right about my wheelhouse. I might want to reduce a bit when I get there, but I don't think I'll ever want to see myself sub-200. It's just not how my body is built.

I haven't really done any free weight work, just work on machines. I know what you mean about not always fitting in them. Even when I was at my lightest there were some I just couldn't get into without maybe breaking a rib. I can drop the pounds but I can't do a thing about the size of my ribcage.

I just learned what worked and what didn't and stuck to those machines, but I wasn't a hard core lifter. Last time I stuck strictly to the elliptical until I got to right around 300. Then I started hitting the the weight machines because I felt like I could fit in them better. I would like to get more into lifting and strength training this time if I can find some guys at the gym to show my what to do.

Good luck finding a spotter. I'm sure it's tough but keep up the good work. You already have 25 out of the way and sound like you are well on the path. Hope to catch up to you there soon.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    well i hired a personal trainer and she has done wonders for me in three months. Totally changed my workouts and eating
  • egoplast
    egoplast Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!

I recall looking at my old grade school pictures and I was always head and shoulders above all the other kids and about twice as wide.

I'm currently at 317 and want to get down to 260. I, technically, will still be obese, but so what. I just need to get back to high school weight.

I use to do a lot of heavy lifting, but my joints have paid the price. I also figure that I no longer need to bench 400+.
    Now I just do cardio, kettlebells, and the total gym.