First time at gym..

Options
Yesterday was my first day at the gym, I went around and checked out the equipment to see what all of them did.
I have no idea to put a fitness plan together though. I just know I want to get my whole self in shape.

Could anyone give me some advice?

Replies

• TrevorJ76
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com. There are tons of plans there if you want something laid out step by step, ie workout plan and nutrition. Or check their forums if you want to put something togther by your self. I'm us Kris Gethin's 12 week program. I like having every detail laid out for me, some people like to make up your own. If you're really at teh beginner stage google "Starting Srength" or check out stronglifts.com. Two very simple and effective programs.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    In before someone says do 5x5 Stronglifts. Also, look that up and do that. Also New Rules for Lifting for Women (I think that's the one people reference also).

or Stong Curves. But yeah look that up too. Jump in the deep end OP.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you are offered a session with a trainer as most gyms do for new clients, try to get someone to show you a few basics.

Otherwise, there's so many good programs out there that have been mentioned already. Look through them all (yes it's a lot of info but doing the legwork to research helps) and pick one you feel comfortable with. That will push you, but that you can handle.
  • burtonvdp
    burtonvdp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are offered a session with a trainer as most gyms do for new clients, try to get someone to show you a few basics.

This helped me a lot. If you gym doesn't offer anything they usually have someone you can contact. It's going to cost a little $$ but if you get a good trainer you can save months of aggravation, trail, and error. Plus most of them will help you tailor your diet to you work outs.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've started the Ice Cream lifting program (slightly modified for time. Instead of resting between individual exercises, I circuit through, and after three separate exercises I rest for a bit. The time doing the other exercises, plus the rest time, brings it close to the shorter end of the 3-5 minutes recommended.) and it is a work in progress.

It was recommended on here after I put up my self-created workout which apparently displayed the fact that I had no idea what I was doing. :)

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Man - Those hyperextensions make me nervous though. I'm always afraid the stand is going to topple over. (but I've always had a little fear around things that counterbalance like that - Rocking chairs, RV Trailers with an overhang, that sort of thing.)
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - I use the JeFit app as well. Put the workout in there, with the rests and everything, and it puts me through (with videos to show how to properly do the exercise) so I don't lose count, or have to carry a pad and paper around with me. It doesn't sync to MFP, but it gives the total workout time, time lifting, and time resting, so you can easily enter it in to MFP manually when you're done.) It does sync with the Jefit website so you can manage your workouts there. It's been a lifesaver and helped my confidence in the free weights area.