1 Year, 100 Pounds (Almost)

Options
echofm1
echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
I’ve been on MFP for just over one year now, and while I’m not done losing yet, I definitely consider what I’ve accomplished to be a success: nearly 100 pounds in the last year. I’ve done this entirely by using MFP, the way it was designed. I’ve been adding exercise in over time, but it’s more because it feels good to feel fit rather than to help me with my weight loss.

Stats: 5’9”, Female, 24, Start: 343 pounds, Current: 243 pounds, Goal: 170 pounds. I started at a size 26 US and I’m currently a size 18 US.

I’ve been the fat girl my whole life. In elementary and high school I was the biggest girl in a class of about 100 people. Throughout my childhood I always told myself that I’d get taller and it would get better, but that’s not how things work. As I got older, I just got bigger, primarily because of family eating habits. I really looked up to my dad and I got a lot of his eating habits; what I didn’t get was his activity level. By the time I graduated high school, I was just about 300 pounds.

young-echo.jpg

This got a little higher in college, up to 315, but then after college when I worked in an office and wasn’t walking to and from classes everyday, my weight quickly hopped up to 340.

college-Echo.jpg

While I never really avoided the camera, as time went on I just sort of didn’t aim to be in the picture. There are only 14 pictures of me from when I graduated college in June 2012 to when I started MFP in July 2013, so finding a before picture is a bit of a challenge. I’ve got a few though:

Before-December25-2012.jpg
Before-June2013.jpg
Before-April26-2013.jpg

Despite being morbidly obese for most of my life, it was never a source of deep depression or self-loathing or anything. If anything, I consider myself almost aggravatingly happy and optimistic. My reason for losing weight was primarily for tangible health reasons (versus theoretical health reasons like I might one day get diabetes or have a heart attack). There’s a history of weight-related infertility in my family. Last July I had reasons to start being concerned about this, so I went to the doctor. The first thing she did was hound me about my weight before she even knew why I was there and told me to walk half an hour a day (I walked 3-5 miles a day in college and was still 300 pounds), then offered to refer me to a free nutritionist. I got a different doctor next time, but still decided to see the nutritionist because of the general concern that my weight would make it impossible to have kids. In preparation for this visit I was told to log my food, which led me to My Fitness Pal. I haven’t looked back since.

ZDress_May18_2014.jpg
After-June7-2014.jpg
After-June29-2014.jpg

And to top it off, a few similar pictures to show off the changes:
sienna-me.jpg
Toni-me.jpg
tank-tops-Echo.jpg

This is my favorite. Just after starting to lose weight I spent a lot of money on a lovely corset. When I wore it in the “before” picture it was as open as we could make it, and I still could have used an extra inch or so. Recently we took a picture of the corset on me now:

corset-Echo.jpg

Perhaps the most common question I get about my weight loss is “Do you feel different now? Better?” This is a complicated question. On the one hand, I do feel better. Because I’ve been exercising I can run, go up stairs without dread, and I’m pretty strong too. Not to mention I don’t have this awful fear that I’ll break a ladder if I stand on it, or that I won’t fit in the seats when I go to the fair in a couple weeks. Those bits are nice. I also have collarbones for the first time in my life; I can feel them. That still weirds me out a little.

Do I feel different though? Not really. I didn’t feel like I was fat when I started, though it’s clear in the pictures and by the numbers that I was. Now that I’m 100 pounds lighter, I still feel the same. Every time I go shopping I hesitantly grab the size that I theoretically am (18 right now), and still can’t believe it when the clothes fit. When I look in the mirror, I’m still the same general shape, simply smaller, and I can’t tell that I’m smaller without comparing it to something. I’ve also been taking mostly-naked pictures every month this year, and every time I have to look back at the beginning to remind myself that I really am a much smaller person. So in short, take pictures, because it’s hard to notice the changes. They take so long that you forget what you used to look like, and the new you is just the normal you.

:drinker: Here’s to the last 70 pounds and a new me that I’ve never seen before. I couldn’t have done it without MFP.

Bonus commentary: I know I wondered about it when I first started, and I’m sure lots of other people are. Loose skin. So far, I don’t really have any. I do have some skin that’s loose, but I don’t notice it on a regular basis and I definitely can’t see it when I’m looking in the mirror. We’ll see what happens in the next 70 pounds, but I’ve been lucky so far.

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Oh dang it. Of course my pictures wouldn't cooperate. Give me a moment.

Edit: There. Got my pictures working. For some reason, Photobucket didn't want to show off pictures in the album I made.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Wow. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

And although it is now FAR to big for you, but I absolutly LOVE that mediaeval dress!!!
  • Carolyn727
    Carolyn727 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. A joy to read your story. Keep on, keepin' on!
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow you have done a great job!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep up the good work. Thanks so much for sharing your story and your pictures. Seeing success stories like yours help keep me motivated!
  • vmckinzey
    vmckinzey Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! So happy for you! Amazing transformation.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    AMAZING journey!!! :)

PS. LOVE that medieval dress!! You should totally splurge when you hit your goal weight and get another one!! :drinker:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!

My weight wasn't a source of depression until I lost and gained back. I think it's amazing you have always loved yourself! Can't wait to see you go further!
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! Your story-and pictures! is so very inspiring. Especially as I am at the beginning of my journey, which is very close to where you started. Please share any advice you might have to someone just getting started.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look fantastic!!
  • Ameenasmum24
    Ameenasmum24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's an amazing transformation I am also trying to lose 100 pounds in a year but I'm not sure how I will look because I carry my weight well I am currently 240 pounds. This is such great motivation I'm glad you posted this.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You look great! And so much happier!

Keep going! We're all rooting for you!
  • karmic_fit
    karmic_fit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :cry: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • CortneyZimm
    CortneyZimm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading your story! Very inspirational! I have 70lbs to loose so it's nice to see someone who has achieved that and more. You're awesome. ^_^
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the story and inspiration! Keep up the good work! You look terrific and I love your explanation about how you feel now vs before - pretty similar here and it is kind of weird when people expect me to respond differently.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats on your success...keep going! You can do it!
  • pennypuffkin
    pennypuffkin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ecky, I'm so freaking proud of you. I'm seriously tearing up at work. I'm so excited to see you tomorrow and pass on some size 16 clothes (if you want them). I've got a whole box!

You are my bestie and inspiration, and I love you!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Awesome. That's all I have to say :)
  • jorda13456
    jorda13456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    wow great job! you still look amazing. Keep up the good work :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!