Diabetics/ Protein Shakes

Options
Hello!!
I've been working on getting back in shape these last few months, when i had to have an unexpected surgery. I was out of the gym for two months, and have to start completely over again. :frown:

It's going to be tough, but i know that i can do it!
I am a diabetic, and i really wanted to start taking protein or meal replacement shakes to help 'jump start' the weight loss. The only part that scares me, is that I'm supposed to be eating 6 smaller meals a day...So i'm not sure if I should replace these smaller meals with this shake, say at three different times a day?

I figured I could probably look to my doctors for the answers to these questions, but was wondering if anyone had any 'first hand' experience? Or even insight?

Any advice is welcomed!!

Thanks everyone!! :)

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My advice is to seek guidance from your dietitain.
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My advice is to seek guidance from your dietitain.

I appreciate your input!! :) Thanks!!

I drink them on occasion now, but I don't use them as they're meant to be used. Figured i would try this first!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to work with a dietitian who specialty is working with diabetic patients to create a weight loss plan that works with your medication. For example, you may need to forego the shakes and have your macros adjusted or drink certain shakes. The advice should come from a professional who knows your health history.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters so far stick to what your dietician is suggesting and be open and honest with them if you're really looking to get back to the gym and workouts the best thing you can do is talk to them about that.

My own personal preference is to avoid "shakes and supplements" in favor of healthier options in food. I'm sure given a little time and professional guidance you'll be back on your fitness track in no time. Remember your health is the most important, work with it instead of against it.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would suggest speaking with you endocrinologist ( Diabetes Dr.) about how you could change up you diet to help lose weight. Talk to him about Glucerna, its a shake made for diabetics ( my dad uses - he is Type 2 brittle), they have ones that are for snacks and then ones for meal replacement. You do not want to replace to many meals with it though. They also have bars, too. But please talk to your doc before making any major changes that way you can keep an eye on your numbers.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your body will remember far more than you thought if you were in shape prior to surgery. I always take a few months off from running in the wintertime, and I get back in shape pretty fast come spring. Just be patient with yourself, and allow yourself to recover fully.

I'd definitely talk to a dietician. I'll use a meal replacement shake (Ensure) or a protein shake instead of one meal a day, but that's more for laziness than any other reason. I think the shakes are less healthy than if I'd prepared a similar amount of food. I have an obese uncle who lost a lot of weight using shakes, but he gained it all back again when he added in real food. So, I'd look into creating a diet plan with a nutritionist to ensure you're meeting your body's needs while losing weight & you have a plan in place for transitioning back to eating "normal" again.

The best weight loss success I know was obese for 30 years, lost weight to get back to normal, and has maintained at a normal weight for 20 years did so using a modified South Beach diet. Basically just learned how to cook reasonable portions of healthy food. She eats larger portions to maintain than she did to lose, but she still follows the general idea.
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You ALL have been very insightful and helpful.

You don't even know what it means to me that you took the time to give me your advice.

Thank you 1000 times!